“Great to enjoy proper bread fresh from their own bakery, and good freshly cooked food.”
Review of Natural Bread

Natural Bread
Ranked #4 of 9 Bakeries in Oxford
Description: Natural Bread is an independent Oxford based artisan bakery. We make all our own wonderful breads, pastries & cakes by hand, from scratch, and fresh every day in our bakery without using any additives. Our signature natural sourdough breads are made using locally milled flour, sourdough starter, water, salt and time and while other bakeries might use yeast to get their breads to rise, we use traditional natural leaven, slow fermentation techniques letting the sourdough starter do its job over 48 hours – giving the bread its wonderful texture & depth of flavour. We have a successful wholesale business supplying breads, pastries and cakes to restaurants, cafés & stockists across Oxfordshire, and a selection of our breads, cakes & pastries is available to buy each day from our bakery shops in Oxford City and Woodstock. We have never forgotten our roots in the Appleton Farmers Market, and we continue to sell our bread and pastries at several of the local Oxford weekend Farmers’ Markets
Reviewed 4 October 2017

I have frequently dropped into the Natural Bread shop in Oxford and enjoyed being welcomed by the staff for delicious food freshly cooked in the kitchen there, and I have in the last two years tried nearly all the different sourdough breads of there of stunning quality.
If you really want quality fresh bread do head Little Clarendon Street shop. My favorite is "Spelt", The croissants are great and also the pain aux raisins. Good luck to you all and thank you for your dedication particularly to quality bread. JAC

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 September 2017 via mobile

I am absolutely astonished by the way I was spoken to by staff it has upset me sincerely also I started to eat my food wasn't too bad at first apart from the size and the fly that I found also the tables were dirty had little decoration and it has a very unfriendly environment my toast was burnt also they are selling in fresh food as I was served a moldy quiche this surly hasn't been inspected or at least inspected properly also there was bits on moldy bread underneath the table and got stuck too my high heel no way am I eating there ever again

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Claire V, Owner at Natural Bread, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Good Morning

I am very sorry to read your review and would like to apologise for the issues you experienced. I am also sorry that you didn’t feel able to complain to us directly in the shop, but I understand that perhaps you did not wish to do so at the time. This type of incident has not happened before and please be assured that we strictly follow the Safer Food Better Business guidelines and all of our staff complete food hygiene training. That being said, I have completed an in-house investigation and spoken to the team to ensure that this doesn't happen again.

I do hope you will reconsider visiting us again because we would very much like to put things right for you and show you how important our customers are to us and that we take pride in our product. If you need further assistance, please can you email our team on contactus.naturalbread@gmail.com and we will look into assisting you further.

Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

I worked my last ever night shift at the John Radcliffe on Sunday night and my best friend was also on nights and planned a special brunch to mark the occasion. We decided to come to Natural bread Little Clarendon Street for a big post nights brunch. Neither of us ate a thing overnight, too busy to eat and keen to save ourselves for one of your famous Full English breakfasts. My best friend is from Northern Ireland so the sourdough bread is a big deal!

We arrived at Natural Bread on Monday 31st July 2017 at 9.30ish and were met by completely clueless nonplussed staff who couldn’t tell us anything. There were no menus so we had to guess what to order. As I had read TripAdvisor, I asked about the Full English and she explained that there was a new Chef and there would be no food. She did not seem apologetic at all and didn’t offer anything to help us out. I was close to leaving but my friend wanted to stay so we persevered. After some time she offered us two options: avocado on toast or toast with jam, that was it.

So we ordered two avocado toasts and two coffees and two orange juices (she again did not offer any of this as an option - I had to beg and ask whether you guys served orange juice).

This cost us £12 each which is my opinion is pretty expensive.

The orange juice and the coffee was delicious (although not enough orange juice).

I begged her for bacon and we got one slice each and I also asked for Manchego cheese (having seen that on TripAdvisor reviews) and we again got one slice each.

The food was oK. The avocado mix had way too much lime (very bitter) and the bacon although tasty wasn’t enough. The bread was oK but hard to taste with all the lime all over it and I’ve eaten better at Waitrose. I am a decent cook and could genuinely have cooked better brunch myself and was very sorely disappointed that I’d trekked all the way to town to your restaurant only to spend a fortune on food that was a waste of time and energy.

The restaurant is nicely decorated with decent ambience. We then ordered two pastries that were tasty and we ate those and left.

I have been left with many questions that I thought you could answer. I certainly will never go back to natural bread again for fear of the same experience - mainly the lack of menu and lack of chef leaves me wondering what the point of your establishment is?

Can’t believe the new chef couldn’t make an egg? What kind of Chef have you hired? Why don’t your staff want to work for you or sell your food? Why don’t you have a menu?

I would appreciate any insight you have to the above questions and issues raised and appreciate your response.

2  Thank pamsiva
Claire V, Owner at Natural Bread, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

Good Afternoon Pamsiva

I am so incredibly sorry for the service, the poor attention to detail, the limited menu range and the lack of care shown to you and your companion last week.

I can appreciate this must have been an incredibly frustrating experience especially as it was a celebration to mark the end of what must have been a tiring few weeks/months working nights, we value the workers at the John Radcliffe and appreciate all their/your hard work in taking care of us.

We do have menus for the tables and I regret that they were not out for you when you visited, our cook is currently away on their annual leave and the person who was operating in the kitchen was still in training, the staff out the front were wrong to not have been enthusiastic to your requirement and we are truly upset that you found them to be so unhelpful.

This is not our usual standard and we really are truly sorry.

Please be assured we have started our own in-house investigations to ensure this doesn't happen again.

We would like to thank you for your compliments on our coffee, juice, pastries and general ambience of the shop.

We feel it is a shame that you never want to come back to Natural Bread, Little Clarendon St as we would very much like to put things right for you and show you how we do look after our customers and we also take pride in our product.

Please can you email our team on contactus.naturalbread@gmail.com and we will look into assisting you further.

Reviewed 8 July 2017

Myself and my mother often come in for coffee as we love the local atmosphere here, and yesterday thought we'd treat ourselves to breakfast!

I had the full english breakfast, and my mother chose the granola and some sourdough toast.The breakfast was large but I polished the whole plate - from the bacon (nice, lean and flavourful) to the mushrooms every mouthful was a delight. Their bread is also wonderful here, and made for excellent toast. (We subsequently had to buy an oxford sourdough loaf to take back home..)

My mother loved her granola, complete with delicious fresh blueberries and raspberries. And again, the toast went down a storm! All washed down with deliciously creamy and beautifully handcrafted coffee patterns. A real delight. The staff were all very welcoming, and everything came quickly.

Clearly a popular spot in Jericho, and you can see why! Would definitely choose here over Gail's (newly opened chain down the road) any day of the week!

2  Thank eleanor_mcboff16
Reviewed 11 March 2017

This bakery has a cult following and it is a very lay back hub for locals. Queues form for their sideboard full of bread baked daily. A ritual for some and rightly so. The staff pay attention to table service, though at times are a little too chilled to pay attention to walk-ins. Natural Bread's Little Oxford is an institution, everyone should try it. Their Rye sourdough is amazing too. Outdoor and inside tables are fully occupied most of the time and the variety of food served during breakfast, lunch and afternoon would satisfy any brainy visitor.