US$184
US$166
US$153
US$122
Savings alert! 18% below average rates

The price you found is 18% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$148/night.

US$140
US$126
  • Pool
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$143/night.

US$856
US$185
US$241
US$234
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Oxford(Oxford)(Great Value!)
US$111
US$91
Priceline
  • Pool
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$112/night.

US$151
US$135
Premier Inn Oxford Hotel(Oxford)(Great Value!)
US$71
PremierInn.com
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$83/night.

US$434
US$408
All reviewsvicarage suitewhite company toiletriesprivate gardencomplimentary mini bartrellis roomlewis carrollkit katboutique hotellisted buildingrainfall showerquiet side streetfresh milkthere is no air conditioninggreat central locationcentral oxfordbreakfast was includedno lift
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

The best aspect is the very central location walking distance of the main venues in Oxford. It consists of two old adjacent houses. We reserved the best room which was spacious with a very large bathroom. The room had inadequate heating and was cold so we asked for another duvet. The bathroom had no visible means of heating. There is no lounge or bar or any communal room just a small reception area where one would not go to sit. So there is only your bedroom to sit in. There is a basement breakfadt area. It is essentially a very central very expensive bed and breakfast place. Nothing to do with the hotel, driviing in Oxford is complicated by the one way systems and restricted roads. Parking is difficult. Always travel by train.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
Dave R, General Manager at Vanbrugh House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Dear DRDICKMAZEL,

I am sorry to read that you found the hotel overpriced. Value for money is so important, and can assure you that our rates are competitively priced within the Oxford market, and are by no means the most expensive. I am pleased that the location of the hotel was to your liking and hope you will reconsider staying with us again when visiting Oxford.

We hope to see you again at Vanbrugh House Hotel.

Kind regards

David Robinson

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

Maybe my expectations were too high, but just a serious a very bad mistakes on the hotel’s part.
1. Oxford is very difficult to drive in, but no where on the website could I find directions to get to the hotel to drop off our bags. I called reception hoping to get more clarity, but the poor girl clearly had no clue what she was doing and we arrived before she could even begin to help us.

2. When I asked for directions to the car park I was met with a similar confusion as the phone call. I highly suggest that they have print out maps for guests and highlight an easy entry route on their website!

3. Our bed was really uncomfortable. Way too firm and the pillows were flat and lumpy. The sheets were just a grad below sandpaper.

4. The lighting in the room was incredible dim. Only 3 of the 5 overhead bulbs were working.

5. We’re sitting in our room 15 minutes before checkout and housekeeping barges in without knocking! Very very bad!! Luckily we were clothed!

6. There are no elevators as it’s a heritage building, but there was no effort or overture made to help us with our bags.

7. I could hear everything from the upstairs room. Heavy footsteps, TV, conversations, and a drain pipe that sounded like a waterfall in our room. Luckily they were not up late otherwise I would have gotten even less sleep.

This room was booked at $255usd per night and is horribly overpriced for the service, the quality, and the lack of amenities. I do not recommend this hotel.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Madd0g39,

It is really disappointing to read that you were dissatisfied with your recent visit to Vanbrugh House Hotel, this is not our intention at all. As you can read in our reviews, the reception team are always available to give attentive customer service to all our guests when recommending local sites, so i apologize if your needs were not met in regards to car parking as printed maps are available and provided at check in.
I am sorry that the beds were not to your preference as they are very much personal taste, but again our team are always on hand to provide mattress toppers to make your stay comfortable if required. In regards to the linen, our sheets are made from Egyptian cotton so am surprised to read you found them a grade below sandpaper.
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback and i can assure you i will be picking up your points with the team.

We hope to see you again at Vanbrugh House Hotel.

Kind regards

David Robinson

Reviewed 26 March 2018

I have to stay that this hotel was the perfect choice, we have just stayed here for 2 nights and it was fabulous.
The hotel is situated on a quiet street, our room was the Trellis room. It was situated at the back and it was perfect.
Yes its a listed building and you could here the shower being used above but who cared, we were awake anyway.
The staff are so friendly and welcoming, cate especially on reception and the ladies on breakfast service were a delight.
Breakfast is served in the old cellar but its so bright and lovely, really quaint.
This hotel has 100% perfect location, George street is at one end and a perfect Indian restaurant at the other end. There is a Bills restaurant right next door.
The hotel does room service and nothing is a rip off.
Yes the hotel isn't cheap but its not as expensive as the others and worth every penny.
The bed sheets were luxurious and the hotel uses " white company" bathroom products.
The cleaners also refrain from doing their chores too early which is a lovely change from other places we have stayed.
Oxford is a fab place to visit and this hotel adds to a great experience.

Room Tip: number 17 trellis room - quiet
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2018

The Vanbrugh House Hotel is in an excellent location for any visit to Oxford. It is located in the heart of Oxford but on a quiet street. The staff was most accommodating and my room was lovely. Would definitely choose Vanbrugh House again for a trip to the area.

Room Tip: There are stairs but not to worry, the staff will assist with bags and other needs. I mentioned I had some mobility issues but prefer not to be on ground floor traveling alone. They put me one flight up which I managed without difficulty.
Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 18 March 2018

spent one night at Oxford and since I'm not driving and I plan to take the train, I want to stay in a decent hotel at the city centre and close to train station. Vanbrugh House Hotel ticks all of the above.

Staff are super helpful and friendly, I arrived on the day with big snow and my train was cancelled so I have to get off at Didcot Parkway and take a bus. By the time I arrived, it was only 12noon but the staff kindly check me in early. They also helped carried the luggage (together with me, of course) to go up the stairs.

Recently renovated and position as a boutique hotel, the size of the room is very okay as I'm travelling sole and it's very comfortable. Shower facilities are great so as the washroom amenities are very high quality. Breakfast, traditional English breakfast with unlimited cereal plus toasts was excellent. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: upper floor room if you are not carrying a lot of luggage
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo