2,102 results
All reviews eastwyke house four pillars leisure facilities walk along the river tow path leisure club plenty of parking large hotel minute walk good size deluxe room steam room lovely hotel weekend break abingdon road town centre buffet style
Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for one night for a weekend getaway and to visit some friends in Oxford.

The reception looks great, modern and clean. Check in was quick and the staff were all very friendly. But from that point on, everything was a little bit of a let down. The rooms are dated, and nowhere near as modern as the reception. The rooms are hot and stuffy, with no air conditioning, however they are clean. The walls are paper thin, I could hear every word of the conversation between 2 girls about their life dramas, and they weren't even talking that loudly.

The gym is adequate, but several pieces of equipment were missing. The swimming pool is tiny, but nice and warm so it's good for kids.

On the plus side, breakfast is very very good, and the location of the hotel is excellent. You come out of the grounds, turn right, walk straight for 10 minutes and you are in the town centre. If you turn left out of the hotel you have a great pub/restaurant called "Home". Also, my wife said her spa treatment, massage and facial, was very good at a reasonable price.

Parking is £7.50 per day/night which I thought was a bit annoying seeing as there is lots of parking on the hotel grounds. Instead, I parked on the road opposite the hotel which is free.

This hotel could be very good, but with all the niggles it isn't quite a 4 star hotel, but that wouldn't stop me from staying here again because the location is excellent.

1  Thank Porkychop
Lindsey W, Manager at Oxford Spires Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2018

Dear guest,

I am incredibly sorry to hear about the disruptions to your stay with us despite the team working well to offer good service. We are working on a project to refurbish our rooms and gym and are looking into the issues mentioned in your review, we hope to have an update on this soon. I hope you chose to return and that we have been able to rectify the issues you raised.

Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

The rooms are large with a good ensuite,
however the standard double bed is rather small for two people.The Hotel was very accomodating and moved us to a room with a larger bed.
The staff were excellent and very friendly.The meals in the restaurant were outstanding and the Maître d Damian was very professional and attentive.Our stay was a very pleasant experience.

Dear Jennifer,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review and for your kind comments about our team. I will ensure that Damian is personally thanked for his hard work. We are working on a project to refurbish our bedrooms and the beds is something we are looking into. Hopefully we can have some action soon and welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

The husband and I booked a superior room for a mini break. Our room was spacious and modern (recently refurbished apparently) and very clean. Breakfast buffet was wonderful - so much choice. Setting was nice. Very peaceful and about a 15 minute walk to the edge of town along the river path.

Dear Jen,

Thank you so much for such a lovely review regarding your recent stay with us. The work into the city along the footpath is wonderful, specially in nice weather, and I am delighted you enjoyed our breakfast. We hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 29 August 2018

The hotel is in a fabulous location, easy to get to and easy to get in and out of the city by bus. The Duke of Monmouth pub is a five minute walk away and has fab food and prices are very reasonable.
Unfortunately (for us) there were weddings on both the Friday and Saturday nights and as we were in the annex (Eastwyke) the music was incredibly loud, plus all the shouting and singing. We all love a party, but we wanted to sleep and it shouldn't be an either/or situation. Sleeping was impossible given the noise. Perhaps those attending functions could be booked into the annex rooms, as ours was a nice room apart from the rock solid pillows and the mattress which sunk in the middle so we kept rolling into one another!
The staff were lovely, very efficient and helpful, the breakfast and dinner were good apart from the orange juice on the first morning was disgusting, like the weakest possible orange squash, but on the second morning it was fine - strange! The hotel has a lovely, friendly atmosphere.
Would we stay here again? If we could be guaranteed a quieter room and a decent bed.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the function suite.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KarenL0uise

Dear Karen,

Thank you for taking your time to review your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that we fell short of your expectations on a couple of things. It can be difficult to find the perfect middle ground with bedding as it is very much to personal taste however you should have been allocated a quieter room, or informed about the possible noise disruption.

We did have an issue with our orange juice which has since been repaired, I am happy that the rest of your breakfast was better. We would be happy to allocate you a suitable room if you choose to return, please give us a call in advance and we would ensure this was sorted for you.

Reviewed 28 August 2018

Stayed here for 3 nights over the bank holiday with my husband. Overall we had a 'nice' stay. Our room was nice, we had a complimentary mini bar with water, beer, wine and soft drinks. We also had the use of slippers and bathrobes which was also nice. Our room was clean. It was at the back of the hotel as I had requested a room in the quieter part of the hotel as I am a light sleeper. Despite this the sound proofing does not seem to be that good, I could hear quite loudly doors slamming and general corridor and room noise from other occupants.

Although our room was clean, the housemaids do not seem to go the extra mile and tidy your room. They literally only make the bed and replace towels. We have stayed in hotels where it is evident the room has been hoovered and personal effects tidied on dressers. There were still spiders in their webs in the corners by the windows which we had initially noticed.

We had a safe in our room which we were unable to use. We reported this x3 and to no avail. We were told it would be reset but this never happened. We then had to carry around all our personal items of value when we were out which was a real pain.

The room does get very hot at night, there is a fan that you can use. The beds we both felt were very uncomfortable. They were far too soft so neither me or my husband had a comfortable sleep.

We didn't use the gym but did take a look at the gym equipment. The weights machines look quite dated. The gym is small and I'm not sure how busy it gets.

Overall we enjoyed our weekend stay here. Staff were pleasant. The hotel is in a good location and shops etc are a short walk away. We ate dinner the first evening we were here, the food was good. The breakfast is also good, buffet cooked breakfast as well as cereals, pastries etc.

For some reason I have been unable to rate service, location and sleep quality below so:
Service 2/5-due to our issue with the safe never being resolved
Location 5/5-excellent location near to shops etc
Sleep quality 1/5-room gets very hot and bed very uncomfortable, far too soft

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CJei M

Dear CJei M,

I am very sorry to hear about your overall experience with us as we work very hard to make sure that all of our guests are well looked after. The feedback about the safe is disappointing, something very simple that should have been quickly rectified. I will be following this up with the team. I will also pass your comments on to our Housekeeping Manager to review, we do not want to interfere too much with our guests personal belongings, but I agree that the room should be cleaned beyond the bed and bathroom.

I hope that your experience with the breakfast and location was enough to encourage you to re-visit in the near future.