2,129 results
All reviews eastwyke house four pillars leisure facilities walk along the river leisure club tow path large hotel minute walk plenty of parking deluxe room good size steam room lovely hotel weekend break abingdon road town centre buffet style
Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

The hotel overall is very nice including the hotel staff. It is a bit off a hike into town but you can make it within a 20 min brisk walk. the added benefit is the free parking.

The biggest issue for the rating however is the noise in the bedroom. The hotel has a multitude of fire doors throughout the hallways. However they make a constant reverberation when they close. We heard this all night long

Definitely would not recommend this place if you want a solid night sleep. We did inform the manager at the front desk but they were ambivalent to the issue.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Elle G, Operations Manager at Oxford Spires Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2017

Dear Ahmed B
Thank you for your review and I am pleased you enjoyed many aspects of your stay at the hotel, including the staff.
We are a brisk 15 minute walk into the city center, which due to bridge maintenance blocking the river walk is currently accessed via Abingdon road, however there are plenty of buses and taxis which may be preferable.
I apologize you were kept awake by fire doors in the corridors - due to the style and size of the building we do have to have mandatory fire doors in the various zones, however we do not often receive many complaints in regards to the noise so I will speak with the maintenance team to review this to ensure if anything can be done it will be.
If you do find yourself in Oxford again I do hope you would consider Spires again - please do note with any reservation a request for a quiet room and I am confident the team will do all they can do honor any request.

Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

I stayed here on a recent trip to Oxford with work. We had been moved to this hotel as our original hotel had had a leak so our room was ruined. The hotel is very smart inside, obviously recently renovated. The room was very pleasant and very spacious. Nice to have a fridge and lots of wardrobe space. We did find the room was very warm and had no aircon. Breakfast was excellent, so many choices of both hot and cold food. We ate in the bar one evening too and the food was great. Gym and pool were fab, one of the best hotel gyms I have used. I only wish the gym opened earlier as 6.30 was a bit too late.

We had a couple of problems though which we felt the staff were not very helpful to help resolve. One key had been programmed for the wrong room and when I went to reception to query it the last was very unhelpful, almost accusing me of not staying there since the booking was in the name of a staff member from the original hotel and not my own! Eventually I was given a new key but very reluctantly. When we went to check out they tried to charge us for the entire stay too, despite us having paid in advance for the hotel we had originally booked. Again they didn't deal with the situation very well and kept pushing for us to pay rather than ringing the original hotel to chase the payment.

It was a nice hotel and I would recommend it. Our experience could have been better if we had booked it directly. However the staff probably could have handled the situation better as it was not our fault we had been rebooked to stay there.

Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank hopecad

Dear hopecad
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I am pleased you enjoyed many aspects of your stay.
We are half way through the refurbishment of the hotel with the majority of public areas having been completed along with 50% of bedrooms.
I was disappointed to read you didn't feel the staff were helpful in resolving issues following your book out from another hotel and I will be sure to bring this up directly with the team and staff members involved, I believe this was down to communication in regards to the circumstances and will ensure this is handled better in the future.
I hope despite this we may look forward to welcoming you back if visiting Oxford again.

Reviewed 20 October 2017

I have visited this Hotel for functions on many occasions and have always found it a nice place to be.
The service is good and the food acceptable but not brilliant particularly the roast potatoes last time.

• Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear Iguana56
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I am pleased you have enjoyed many visits to the hotel.
I will mention you comment in regards to the potatoes and I am sure they will be back to our usual standard for your next visit.

Reviewed 19 October 2017

We only stayed here for one night on what they called a 'Love Sunday's' package, which included a Cream tea for 2, three course evening meal & breakfast the following morning.

Although we hadn't checked in we did ask reception late Sunday morning if we could leave our car in their car park & walked into Oxford, about a 20 minute walk. If they have finished the bridge repairs it will be possible to walk the whole way along the Thames footpath where several of the colleges were out rowing.

We got back to the hotel about 2pm & although we could not check in we were allowed to have our cream tea so had plenty of time for this to go down before our very nice evening meal.

We did upgrade our room to a superior double but I think wherever your room is due to the layout of the hotel you'll be able to park near your room. Also if you cut across the car park to the bar you will save yourself a very long walk along the many corridors.

Very pleasant stay.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Wendy H
Thank you for your review and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us here at the hotel.
The hotel is very large, and like you say plenty of car parking allowing easy access to unload bags and load any shopping!
We are hoping the bridge repairs are completed shortly, as you say we are only a 20 minute walk from the city centre and with the new Westgate shopping center opening tomorrow the walk makes it an ideal stroll!
I hope we can welcome you back in the future to further explore the city.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

I was charged with making arrangements for over 100 people staying and dining at the hotel. This venue ticked all the boxes, location, accommodation, food quality and friendly staff. We had two formal dinners in the Cathedral room and breakfast was served in a reserved area to ease congestion. We had visited the hotel to discuss with the events manager ( Michelle) and the food and beverges manager (James) and everything worked perfectly

Room tip: All rooms appear to have good views over the parkland area, but the rooms in the 200 area on the 2nd floor appealed the best.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear David M
Thank you for your review and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and weekend event with us here at the hotel.
I will be sure to pass your praise on to the team, especially Michelle and James and I hope we can looking working with you again in the future.