All reviews train station breakfast tray bubble bath city centre car park basic hotel a bit tired full english breakfast location is ideal few minutes walk visit oxford double bed plenty of hot water yogurt family room stayed for one night thames
Reviewed 6 August 2018

Very friendly and helpful staff! The beds where not great and even though it's located outside of the town center you could still hear the traffic outside pretty loudly. On the other hand the location is amazing, only 4 min from the train/buss station and only 10 min walk to the town center and the popular colleges and the Bodleian. As well as all the restaurants and pubs. The shower was more modern but the room in general more English standard. The breakfast is served between 8-9 am and 8-9:30am on weekends. When we checked in they told us they'll reserve a table for the three of us for the next morning and throughout our stay, the breakfast was of good variation and quality. Especially the fresh cooked scrambled eggs which weren't laying on a buffet tray for an hour like other places. The room was very airy and cool even though it was about 28C outside. Felt like a nice, reliable and safe place. I would come back!

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
rhoxf, River Hotel at River Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Thank you for your kind review Maja and we are delighted to know you enjoyed your stay at the River Hotel, with special mention of our excellent location and freshly cooked breakfast. We have new beds and mattresses throughout the hotel and are concerned yours was uncomfortable, we will look into this further. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

Stayed for one night when my friend and I drove from South Wales to Oxford to watch David Byrne's American utopia tour play at the New Oxford theatre.
Excellent show and a very friendly welcoming hotel.
Close to the theatre where the show was and loads of good restaurants and bars in the 10 minutes walk from the hotel.
The hotel is a bit old.
It was very clean and comfortable.
We were served a lovely freshly cook breakfast in the morning.
Would definitely recommend this hotel to all my friends and family.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ryan D
rhoxf, River Hotel at River Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Thank you for your kind review Ryan and we are delighted to know you enjoyed your stay at the River Hotel, with our excellent location, enjoyable breakfast and friendly staff. Thank you for recommending us.

Reviewed 9 July 2018

I was on a research trip to the Bodleian and brought my husband along. I knew we'd need a place that fit my research budget that was still clean and conveniently located. The River Hotel was all of that and more. The staff is extremely helpful with any request you might have. They helped us print out theatre tickets, check out early, and figure out the bus schedule. They even helped us prepare a little breakfast tray for ourselves the night before, when we knew we'd have to miss breakfast the next morning. The service here really goes above and beyond the call of the duty. The room was comfortable and quiet, and the garden area by the river is lovely. Nice breakfast too. When I'm back again for research, I won't stay anywhere else!

Stayed: July 2018
rhoxf, River Hotel at River Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Thank you for your kind review Kimberly and we are delighted to know you enjoyed your stay at the River Hotel. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 8 July 2018

If you want a decent, straightforward, secure place to stay near the train station, plus a great breakfast, this is the hotel for you. It's not special, it's not a memorable, it's not beautiful, but it does the job efficiently and well, and the breakfast is genuinely excellent.

My only complaint was that the bed was a bit too squidgy for my taste.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues, ask for a lower floor: the stairs are narrow and there's plenty of them.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 July 2018 via mobile

OK, so the hotel could definitely do with some updating when it comes to carpets and decor, but it makes up for this with its great location and friendly service. We stayed in a family room which was a good size and with the comfiest bed I have ever come across in a hotel. The shower was brilliant too - shower gel would have been useful along with the bubble bath and shampoo! Breakfast was great and, as it was a really hot weekend, we loved sitting out in the riverside garden in the evening with a drink from the bar. There's a lovely walk along the river to Folly Bridge that I'd definitely recommend, and it's only 15 mins walk into the city centre and 5 mins to Oxford Station. Great to be able to park for free onsite as well.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends