“Best restaurant on the cowley road”
Review of Verde Pizzeria and Trattoria - CLOSED

Verde Pizzeria and Trattoria
Price range: US$8 - US$24
Good for: Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: At Verde Pizzeria & Trattoria we are passionate about our family-run Italian restaurant and providing quality cuisine using recipes passed down from our ancestors.We strive to always provide exemplary service and to really listen to what you tell us. ​Verde offers its fresh hand made food to families, friends, students, couples, groups or individuals! ​​Visit us to enjoy our Italian dishes made by hand in our open kitchen!Check out website where you can find a range of offers and you can even book online!Your Verde Team
Reviewed 30 January 2015

Consistent service and food. Pizzas are great or the linguine di mare is a winner. When in doubt head to Verde.

Reviewed 23 November 2014

A group of 12 of us went for a post fireworks meal at Verde. We booked in advance and the staff were good at accommodating 2 extra people that turned up on the night with us. We had to ask for our drinks order to be taken-25 minutes after arriving. The toilets are a nightmare- both the ladies' toilets were broken so I had to go in the disabled, where there was no toilet roll, so I went back into the ladies' to wash my hands (unhygienic as I had to touch all the doors and locks with unwashed hands) and the tap on one (of 2) sinks didn't work and the other one dribbled so slowly that you couldn't wash the soap of your hand. I tried to tell one of the more senior staff and he just grunted and walked away from me. I said excuse me please I am trying to tell you something and he said that he knew one was broken but the other one was fine. I told him that this was what I we trying to tell him- they were now both broken! He walked away from me again and then tried to prove me wrong by going and turning the tap on (it just dribbled, so he walked away) I also told him that there was no toilet roll in the disabled, so he put a KITCHEN roll in there!!
Our starters then came out and one person's order wasn't with the rest of ours. I had to ask where it was and it came out 15 minutes after the others- no apologies given. The starters were yummy- we shared a few, including a stunning garlic bread stuffed with cheese.
An hour after the starters came out, the mains came out but again, one order was missing! We had to ask once again and it arrived 10 minutes later. The pizza was overcooked and we were only given standard knives. I asked for a steak knife and even this struggled to get through the crispy base. Another dish had to be sent back as it was stone cold (the lamb shank) and finally half way through a pizza, my friend noticed a short black hair in her cheese on her pizza! I asked the manager to come over, he took it away and started proding and poking it in full view. Eventually he came back to ask what pizza it was and my friend said it was a mushroom one. He just turned away and brought her a replacement. Absolutely no apologies were given by the staff for all the mess ups.

Needless to say, we refused to pay the compulsory 10% service for parties of 6 or more and to their credit, they did give us a discount. But I would much rather have paid full price and had a nice meal out with my friends!!

Won't be returning here!

Reviewed 19 November 2014

We had a birthday dinner there, and we were the only people in the restaurant because was totally empty. Bad sign when a restaurant is totally empty....The food was very poor, and not Italian at all. The base of the pizza was frozen like the rest of the ingredients, so was totally tasteless. For the same price, is better to go to other place like Pizzeria Mario, at least you eat real food!

3  Thank Erika D
Reviewed 16 November 2014 via mobile

Stumbled across Verde at 4pm on a Saturday afternoon, was pleasantly surprised to find that it was open. The food was outstanding and the service excellent, I had a Rib Eye steak that was cooked to perfection and it was 'melt in the mouth' tender... Can't fault anything...

Reviewed 10 November 2014

I'm eating out lots at the moment as we're doing up our kitchen. So recently I've been to the local Indian, Chinese, Thai, chop house, chip shop, burger joint, etc.....
Decided on Italian this evening, didn't want a pizza, but some pasta and a real starter as I'm fed up with Domino's and Pizza Hut (Domino's are better though!) and instead of going to the usual Italian place I tried Verde on Cowley Road, good choice!
They do a reduced price 2 course menu, £11.95 or thereabouts and I thought I'd probably get a second rate meal but I was wrong. First it comes with a glass of wine or a beer included, so that was a bonus. I chose the Calamari to kick off with, followed by the fettuccine. Calamari was really tasty, with good, clean, crisp batter and the fettuccine was really tasty too. could have done with a salad included, but I am being picky as the price was great. Service was quick although they weren't that busy and the portions were a good size.
Worth a visit and I'll certainly be going back.

1  Thank Garybb