1,197 results
All reviews iffley lock blue restaurant prince of wales honeymoon suite memory foam iffley village number bus sky tv walk along the river eggs benedict city centre lovely hotel tow path full english quiet location booked this hotel superior room
Reviewed 8 November 2018 via mobile

I really don’t have anything positive to say about this hotel other than the fact they discounted our room by 50% and gave us a free breakfast when we raised our complaints during our stay. Its dirty & smells, there but buckets everywhere due to several leaks, it’s tatty & very tired inside. Our room was incredibly hot... so we opened windows... and it was then incredibly loud because they had a function on in the room below us. It went on until 1am so no chance of sleeping before then. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Charlotte4950
Hawkwell H, General Manager at Hawkwell House Hotel by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Guest

All guest comments good or bad are always taken very seriously and the issues you encountered will be addressed.

I would like to apologise for the issues in the restaurant, your room and with the noise from the function, the unsatisfactory standards are being addressed.

I do hope you reconsider staying at Hawkwell on your next visit to Oxford were I'm sure you will see a much improved experience.

Reviewed 7 November 2018 via mobile

On a positive note, the food was quite OK. However, the delivery of it, and service in general was disgraceful. Food arriving with no cutlery. Serving staff arriving without a clue as to where to deliver the food....even randomly asking customers what they've had ordered to see if they have the right table. Bar staff were clueless too.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear Guest

Please be assured all reviews are taken very seriously and the issues you encountered will be given due attention.

I am sorry you found the level of service you received unsatisfactory and the necessary action will be taken to rectify the service issues you encountered.

Reviewed 25 October 2018 via mobile

I stay during 24-26 October, 2018. I am not sure whether the service is bad for us or not at first, but since now i am in the room 403 on ELM House, with out any room making up, not even giving a bottle of water for drinking. I am sure that there is something wrong about the service here.

It's now 10 PM, and both our room could not access by the key card, and the room... emmm..

I had tried using hotel line and mobile to call reception. There is no one pick up the call for 10 minutes. Well it's happen.

I am surely will not select for the next visit.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank kalapela

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review further to your recent stay.

Please be assured the issues you encountered will be looked into with my team and my apologies for the unsatisfactory standards you encountered.

Reviewed 23 October 2018 via mobile

This is my second stay and second review for Hawkwell House and if I could give it ten stars on this review, I would!

The stay was for my wife and I to celebrate our first wedding anniversary having married at the hotel in 2017.

When we entered the hotel we were given a warm greeting by the member of staff at reception. They took our details and gave us the room key with clear directions to the location of the room and asked if we needed help with the luggage. We declined and were then told about the running of the hotel in regards to dinner and breakfast.

While enjoying complimentary champagne, fruit platter and petit for, we received a call from the duty manager who gave us a warm welcome and congratulations, made us feel like nothing we asked would be too much trouble and booked us in for dinner.

Dinner itself was a revelation and when the food arrives you soon forget that the dining room is the last area to be renovated. The menu was intreaguing and enticed us to step out of our comfort zone, pictures included below. The food was delicious, well presented and made to the highest standard.

We then spent some time chatting with the amazing staff who made our stay even more memorable and helped us to get photographs to commemorate our anniversary.

After some time on the terrace and the glass encased bar we were treated to a night cap by the duty manager and then retired to our incredibly comfortable, clean and spacious room. The next morning we finished our stay with breakfast, pastries and coffee while reminiscing about our wedding exactly one year before.

Although changes have occurred between my first and second stay at this hotel I must say that every single aspect has improved. This incredible stay was arranged and planned by the general manager Richard and I am sure that under his leadership this already amazing hotel will continue to improve and flourish.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments further to your recent visit to Hawkwell.

We really do appreciate your kind comments and these will be shared with the team.

I hope you visit Hawkwell very soon.

Reviewed 22 October 2018

Stayed one night for an event I was attending nearby. The lady who checked us in seemed very new and unsure of what she was doing but we got there in the end. Booked via Travelzoo which meant cream tea with prosecco and breakfast were included. After check in we went straight to have our cream tea but deferred the prosecco until we returned that night as we needed to drive. I had called prior to arriving to ask what time the afternoon tea went on until and had been told we could have it up until 9pm which I thought was very accommodating. There was a table laid out in the corner of the bar area for afternoon tea. 4 place settings though only 2 of us. The cups were a little grubby but our hot chocolate came in their own glass so we didn’t use the cups. I didn’t trust the saucers either so just ate the scones from the slab it came on. Scones were warm. On our return that night we had our prosecco and went to the room. Spacious enough for the one night but could do with a little TLC. There were 2 complimentary bottles of water - one still and one sparkling but the still one had been opened and was 3/4 full. I rang reception to get another bottle which they said they’d send but a man showed up with a jug of water saying they’d run out of bottles. Breakfast was ample, fruit, pastries (dry), cereal, juice were help yourself and the cooked breakfast was made to order. My waiter was very friendly and helpful. He brought me 2 mugs of hot chocolate, sausage, egg, beans, smoked salmon with toast. Checked out promptly at 11am. There was a young man at the front desk who asked if my stay was perfect. I said ‘not quite’ to which he replied ‘whatever went wrong will be sorted out by the time you stay next’ which made me smile. There were little dinner mints on the side to help yourself to. The area surrounding is very quiet. I went out for an early morning walk, not very scenic. Free parking. If this hotel had classed itself as a 3 star, I would have said it was very good
but it wasn't quite up to the standard of a 4 star it's advertised as.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Hawkwell H, General Manager at Hawkwell House Hotel by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2018

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Your experience will be shared with the team and please assured the necessary action will be taken to ensure the issues you encountered during your stay are not repeated and future guest benefit from your experience.

I do hope you consider Hawkwell on your next visit to Oxford were I'm sure the 4 star standard will meet your expectations.