“On the museum rooftop terrace”

Rooftop Restaurant Ashmolean
Reserve with OpenTable
Rooftop Restaurant Ashmolean is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #94 of 686 Restaurants in Oxford
Price range: US$8 - US$28
Cuisines: French, Welsh
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Home Style
Transit: A 10 minute walk from Oxford train station, and very close to Oxford bus station.
Description: A celebration of food and wine alongside art and culture. The Ashmolean Rooftop Restaurant provides the spectacular setting for Oxford's first and finest rooftop restaurant. Our menu is fresh, seasonal and inspired by current exhibitions.
Reviewed 17 February 2018

Outdoors when possible, but there was plenty of light coming through the full story glass panels on a gray and windy day. The pre-theater menu looked good (check the website), but our schedule permitted only a Saturday lunch in connection with our museum visit. Reservations were essential. The place was packed. We enjoyed our meals (one fish, one pasta), with cheery service by our young Italian waitress. The entrance is obscure, on the St. Giles St. side of the building--if you don't know it, get directions.

Andrea T, General Manager at Rooftop Restaurant Ashmolean, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2018

Dear mrsagf,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am delighted you enjoyed your time here with us. It can be tricky sometimes to find us, so i do apologise for this. I will be sure to pass on your review to the rest of the team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Many Thanks

Write a ReviewReviews (1,061)

Reviewed 17 February 2018

They were really busy, but I was seated quickly as I was a single. The wait staff was really hustling and I didn’t wait too long for service and the food came in a totally acceptable amount of time. I had the pork chop, it was hot and delicious.. the salad was perfect with it.
This was a great place to have a really nice meal after spending some time in the exhibits downstairs.
Highly recommend

Dear Ann,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. We are all delighted you enjoyed your time here with us at the Rooftop restaurant. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the team. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 17 February 2018

Never been before, didn't know what to expect so wonderfully surprised by friendliness, making us feel at ease with quiet efficiency. Our principle waiter, Arcangel looked after us so well as did the girls who brought drinks, etc. We had a truly wonderful experience and plan to return for two more birthdays to come.
Food was excellent and imaginative.
Tables nicely spaced apart and noise level low.

Thank you for a lovely evening.

Gill Belcher

Andrea T, Manager at Rooftop Restaurant Ashmolean, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2018

Dear Gill,

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to write your review. I'm so glad you enjoyed your belated valentines meal here with us. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to both Arcangelo and the rest of the team. We hope you will be back to visit very soon.

Reviewed 17 February 2018

Decent food in a pleasant environment. Nothing amazing, but all tasty with delicate flavours and carefully prepared.

Dear Michael,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your experience here with us. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the rest of the team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 15 February 2018

Despite booking ahead and arriving on time, had to wait 15 mins for our table to be cleared and prepared. We weren't even waiting for the diners before us to finish. After being seated, had to wait another 15 minutes to catch the attention of a waiter so that we could have a drinks menu.
Passable starters. I ordered the steak for the main, was not given any option of how I wanted it cooked, and the feather blade steak came well done and without apology. Given the situation, did not complain at the time.
Then waited about an hour for dessert to arrive, and they got my dessert order wrong, which needed further waiting and sorting out. Dessert itself was barely palatable - grilled pineapple drowned in syrup and a super sweet sorbet too. Went to wash my mouth out afterwards to prevent caries. My companion's trio of chocolate was equally sickly in its sweetness. Had to praise their attempts at doing a quenelle - in terms of presentation, perhaps the use of a mould have have been better.
This was followed by more waiting for the bill. Felt like waiters were actively trying to avoid catching our eye.
First and last time to this establishment for dinner, we think.

Andrea T, Manager at Rooftop Restaurant Ashmolean, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2018

Dear Nick,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your time here at the rooftop. I am ever so sorry that when on arrival you had a short delay in your table being ready. Valentines Evening is a very busy time of year for us and even though we allocate 2 hours for each table sometimes it does run over.

In regards to the cooking of your feather blade steak it was in fact braised feather blade steak. The steak had been slowly cooking for several hours, this is why on this occasion the Waiting staff did not ask on your cooking preference as it had been slow cooked. I am truly sorry that you did not on this occasion enjoy your dinner here with us. I will be sure to pass on all your feedback to both the waiting staff and the kitchen.

I would like to apologies for the negative experience during your evening here with us.The feedback you have given in regards to the problems you experienced will be taken seriously and the correct feedback and training will be given to the relevant departments.

If you would like to discuss this in more depth then please feel free to contact me at ashmolean@benugo.com