“Ad hoc evening meal”

Cockadoo Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #38 of 725 Restaurants in Oxford
Price range: US$26 - US$53
Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood, Thai
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Winner of local and national culinary awards, Cockadoo offers a chic twist on Thai and Chinese cuisine. A sultry bar and lounge setting features glittering chandeliers, subtle low lighting, an open fire and a rich chocolate and aubergine colour palette. Crafted by the highly skilled chefs, guests can choose from an array of colourful recipes, bursting with flavours of the Orient.
Reviewed 15 February 2018

Wanted a mix of vegetarian and meat. Cockadoo's menu looked very varied. The food was excellent. I have never had so much vegetarian choices, and the ones I tried were beautifully cooked. I would thoroughly recommend to any individual or parties wanting to cater for a mix of meat/non-meat eaters. My partner really loved the scallops too.
I don't know why more people don't go here - it's the best Chinese restaurant around here. It definitely deserves a higher profile.

Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

Surprising venue just outside of Oxford!

Spacious inside and attentive staff. Food was lovely too! Ostrich and noodles for my main.

My colleagues/friends who were in attendance with me for a winner's meal seemed to have great food too!

Diego has submitted a review and talked about Carlos getting on the piano.. here he is!

Oh... the twice cooked ice cream is a must!!!

Reviewed 1 February 2018

wouldn't recommend.
chose this place for my 21st birthday meal as the cocktail menu online looked really exciting.
got to the restaurant and was told they dont have that menu and only classic (poorly made) cocktails on offer and no one could explain why? the staff didnt talk great english and didnt seem to understand what we were talking about. was tempted to leave at that point but the reviews made me want to try the food. (wish i didnt now) espresso martini was bad and mojito tasted like lemonade with some mint. dont bother wasting your money.
ordering was painful. the staff did not know their menu and it took way too long to order.
starters: waitress came out after half an hour and said she messed the order up and will have to wait some more.
sharing platter looked like something from iceland, and tasted exactly the same as the frozen party platter you can buy for a fiver. (but this starter costs a tenner per person)
fried catfish and mango slaw had no catfish whatsoever, literally just over fried batter and 2 tiny slithers of mango. awful. was going to send it back but after waiting nearly an hour for the starters to come out i really could not be bothered with the hassle.
soft shell crab was ok - but did not taste of much, was definitely not worth the hour wait.
mains: mixed review - if i want a nice chinese meal i will be ordering from my local takeaway from the comfort of my own home next time.
pork neck was ok nothing special, phad thai the same, the duck in plum sauce was actually very nice but the rendang lamb was absolutely disgusting.
i'm really annoyed about spending £150 in this place. the interior is lovely but the food definitely does not live up to expectations. wont be returning and wont be recommending it to anyone. such a shame.

5  Thank Nicoleeeeeexo
Reviewed 1 February 2018

A party of 10 with a toddler and baby, greeted by friendly staff, the restaurant is beautifully furnished and well lite.
The food arrived piping hot and was delicious, all the party ordered different meals and we all thoroughly enjoyed our meal, good price too.

Reviewed 31 January 2018

Came to Cockadoo for a Team Dinner with some co-workers and was pleasantly surprised! The dining area is extremely nice, spacious, and with very high ceilings. I loved the dim the lighting which really added to the ambiance. We arrived a bit early so it felt like a private dinner!

Staff was great. Very attentive, food came quickly, and cannot fault anything about it.

The food was amazing. I had Wok Fried Mussels as a starter which was definitely a bit different from the usual garlic and butter mussels you usually have at restaurants. They were quite spicy which I loved, but were still very juicy, and just plain delicious. As a main, I had the sliced goose with peanut sauce which was so so tender and juicy. Mixing the peanut sauce with a side of fried rice was a match made in heaven!

Some of my vegan colleagues which are very picky about food, given there usually aren't many options for them, were extremely happy about their order, and I must say it looked quite good!

I have to say I was extremely satisfied with our experience, and everyone had very positive things to say about this restaurant. One of our colleagues decided to play the piano while we were there, so we even had a live performance to go with our dinner. I recommend!

1  Thank Diegolmartinho