“Beautiful restaurant but disappointing portion sizes”

The Bear and Ragged Staff
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bear and Ragged Staff is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #81 of 729 Restaurants in Oxford
Price range: US$8 - US$52
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Bear and Ragged Staff is a Stunning 450 year old Grade 2* listed building just 4 miles West of Oxford. the current management has been in place now for eight years and have completed a major upgrade of the property. The Pub and Restaurant have been completely renovated, and now serve stunning, largely British food, in stylish surroundings. The nine residential rooms are now open and are receiving great reviews. Rooms feature 32-42" TVs, radio, Kingsized beds, en suite bathroom/showers, WiFi broadband and more. The 5 rooms in the Landlord's Wing ooze Olde Worlde charm. Take a look at our website.
Reviewed 14 August 2016

We chose this restaurant on a recent trip to Oxford. The place is beautiful and furnished to a high standard which I loved. We ordered two mains - the rump of lamb and pork loin for £20 and £18 each. I am not sure if we were unlucky but we had about 2-3 ounces of meat and certainly less than 2 ounces of potato. We were expecting a bit more than this and have to say we were left feeling disappointed as we had such high hopes for the place. I think it would help customers make an informed choice if the weight if the meat was stated as with steaks so you could then choose to order a starter or side dish. Those who ordered the fish and chips or burger meals seemed much better value for money. I did love the place and do not want to appear negative but would choose the food more wisely in future.

Reviewed 10 August 2016

Went here for dinner as recommended by local B & B. Very varied menu and good home cooked food. Spacious dining area and helpful and friendly staff. Would visit again when in the district.

Reviewed 3 August 2016

The staff here are what makes it for me. It offers great food and a lovely atmosphere but the staff were very kind and also spent time to get to know the guests.

Reviewed 28 July 2016 via mobile

We visited The Bear and Ragged Staff tonight and my husband really enjoyed his fish pie! I know I am awkward not eating meat or fish but when I complained at the lack of choice I was told I could go into Oxford as there are vegetarian restaurants there!!! Not quite what I wanted to hear as we live down the road from this pub! If, like myself you are a vegetarian, forget this pub!! You are not a valued customer!!!!

3  Thank alfiejo
Jeremy d, General Manager at The Bear and Ragged Staff, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2016

Dear Alfiejo,

I was sorry to read your review and somewhat puzzled by it.

We do have some vegetarian options on our menu, but would also normally ask our Chef to try and offer some alternatives as well on the day.

Please contact me directly to discuss and go through your experience as I would like to invite you back as my guest and show you what really great food we can offer vegetarians normally.

Kind regards,

Jeremy.
01865 862329

Reviewed 27 July 2016

I think my favourite part of my visits to this restaurant are the make your own sharing platters which we always chose instead of a starter.

There are four choices for each of meat, fish, vegetable, cheese, and bread. They cost £3 each for a generous portion, and we find two each is sufficient.

On my latest visit I chose marinated quail in garlic and chili, and chorizo with apple and mustard, but all the choices I have tasted have been delicious.

For my main I chose Sour dough crusted pollock, equally delicious and beautifully presented.