“Amazing setting and food”

The Alchemist Oxford
Ranked #107 of 729 Restaurants in Oxford
Price range: US$10 - US$26
Description: A modern bar/restaurant: A celebration of the unconventional, dark and controversial! Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

I have visited the Alchemist in Birmingham on around 5 occasions but this was my first visit to the Oxford one.
I ordered the chicken fajitas with a red dead zombie cocktail.
The portion was huge and absolutely beautiful, the drinks were also very good even if the lemon meringue was messy to drink but very tasty. The setting is outstanding, on a roof terrace overlooking Oxford center and I can also confirm the service is excellent.

Lila W, Manager at The Alchemist Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2018

Good Afternoon Sam,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience with us. We’re glad you had such a great time and we hope to see you again soon!

Have a great day!

Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

I love the Alchemist in Oxford, not because of the type of bar that it is, or the novelty of dry ice and chemical concoctions but because the guys who work there are amazing.

Everytime I've been, for cocktails or just food, everyone has been so friendly and has made me feel welcome. Even when I forgot to mention an allergy and ordered a dish that was unsuitable the managers apologised for the wait on it being and made sure I received the food as soon as possible.

The service is always above and beyond!

Thanks!

Lila W, Manager at The Alchemist Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2018

Good Afternoon Sian,

Have a great day!

Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

Me my partner and our friends came here on July 2nd for my partners birthday we had booked a table for 4 at 5.30pm but had arrived 20 minutes early we were told we could sit anywhere we wanted to so we originally sat outside, after 10 minutes ( still no waitress had approached our table )we decided it was a bit to windy so decided to move inside when we were approached by the first time by a male waiter telling us we weren’t aloud to sit at this table. I told him we had booked and he just walked away. after another 10 minutes still no one had come over to take our order even though there were around 5 staff members stood around talking. A lady called Denitsa came to our table talked us through all the cocktails and took our order, when our food arrived I accidentally knocked over my bowl of chips and she replaced them free of charge, she was brilliant and completely turned our experience around, thanks to her I will defiantly return.

Good Afternoon Nicola,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience, I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your visit, but I'm glad you had a great time with Denitsa.

Please can you provide us with your contact details so we can get more information about your visit. We would like to investigate in to this further.

Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

Went into Alchemist for first time today. I live in Singapore so we have had cocktail bars and mixologists for about 10 years.
Went to the bar, there were 3 staff making one drink, just One. A barman asked me what i'd like. I replied I'm interested in your whiskey based cocktails..expecting some advice etc, but no he walked away. 3 mins later he said have you decided..i replied "I'm interested in your whiskey based cocktails". Deja vu, he again walked away. I left. What a poor impression.
Pls train your staff.

Good Afternoon Ghdtreb,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience, I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your visit.

Reviewed 9 July 2018

Myself, my two brothers and partners decided to visit The Alchemist on Friday (6th July) night to celebrate my younger brothers 18th Birthday. We were disgusted with the customer service we received (or lack of!). My brother and his partner had been here before for drinks and we all knew it was a bit of a novelty and quite pricey, however as they had received a pleasant experience, we decided to have some fun and just go with it.

However our fun was stopped as soon as we were ordering drinks. My older brother decided he was getting a round of drinks in for the five us of. Respectfully, rather than going up and listing five separate drinks to the barmaid, he asked if we could order some drinks and proceeded to tell her the drinks we wanted as she made the previous one. This worked until halfway through making the second (of five drinks) the barmaid proceeded to ask another group what drinks she could get them! I'd have thought basic customer service would have been to ask my brother if there was anything else she could get him... or at least have told him the price, giving him the opportunity to say "we have another three drinks to order yet". However, without any prior warning she moved on to the next customers, without finishing the previous transaction. As soon as she decided to move on to the next customers, my brother said "we have more drinks on the same order" to which the barmaid created a total commotion, shouting and drawing attention to us, rolling her eyes at other customers and apologising to them. The barmaid's reply to being caught out in her mistake was "I asked up and down the bar who needed a drink", which was just untrue!

I feel there is a total inconsistency in staff. The bartender next to us was not only friendly but actively engaging with the customers, explaining what was going in to their drinks and what was causing the chemical reactions that were occurring. Give him a pay rise!! Another waitress, came around asking if everything as ok and wishing us a lovely evening.

I do understand that sometimes people are stressed (the barmaid certainly was) and have bad days but to accuse customers when you've made a mistake is outrageous customer service in my eyes. As other reviews have mentioned, there are a lot nicer cocktail bars in Oxford that the price does not only reflect the product but also the customer service.

Good Afternoon Joanna,