“Be careful, they give spoiled food to take away!”
Review of The Pickled Walnut

The Pickled Walnut
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pickled Walnut is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #213 of 760 Restaurants in Oxford
Reviewed 3 August 2018

We have been several times there and it was quite good. We have also taken food away a few times but it was never as good. Yestersday, we ordered again by phone and then came to pick the food. Once at home, we realized the food had a slightly strange smell. But we were not sure if it was a problem or a characteristic of the recipe. And then we got sick during the night... The food was indeed spoiled!

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 30 July 2018

I went for lunch with family visiting from overseas We loved the food at Pickled Walnut; the meat was well flavoured and there is wide variety of vegetarian dishes making this a good place to go to with vegetarian friends and family. Staff were attentive, made adjustments to accommodate children's tastes and needs and were kind and helpful. One of the children was feeling mildly unwell and was served a delicious chicken soup before everyone else was served. Thank you for making the visit an enjoyable and comfortable one.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

definitely best for small groups, does a fine mezzo, and other middle eastern dishes in nice big portions washed down with lebanese wine or beers of the region. service friendly

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 5 July 2018 via mobile

I was starving, working late and couldn’t make up my mind. Not only did Sam choose for me, he delivered it to my door himself. The food was absolutely perfect. That evening, I called people in 3 different countries to tell them how delicious my meal was! I had leftovers, and literally hid in the IT closet at work during lunch the next day so I wouldn’t have to share. This is seriously good food.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 4 July 2018

2 adults and one 20 toddler £41 attempted bill
chicken soup is veg soup with chicken added its a broth hench zero tatse not even the chicken, so £5 plus starter no effort to justify the price and zero soup prep you are selling a broth and that took long enough, and need salt an pepper to make it taste of something ,and the staff took the sale and pepper away as the toddler was playing with over a plate quietly.

2 main courses, burnt sardines and lettuce with a burnt tomato no dressing, this was completely cremated and the dish was left to the edge of the table and all staff walked past for over 25 mins.

other course was lamb i think with okra in a sauce with that duram wheat and even Heinz spaghetti (other brands are avaliable) in a tin had more flavour and texture.

2 non alcaholic mojitos with 90% ice and home made lemonade 90% ice aswell, so 4 sips and each drink finished, no refills even offered just was walked past like looses whilst other more middle aged clients were talked to and interacted with like kings and queens.

Bill time and the staff the waitress asked would you like the sardines to take away and she was replied to would you eat them as they were cremated and black burnt, lack of training and no idea about food or serving any dish as no quality training or interest in food.

The sardines after a while were taken off the bill and we went.

This place suits stiff upper lip individuals who wont say boo to a goose who love bland no flavour massively over prices food averaging £15 a plate with minus zero effort gone into it and staff who pick and choose who gets a minimum level of service.

I am at a total loss as to how this place survives and turns any profit.

put me in there 2 weeks and this business will return the best results ever and this is an open invitation.

The place was quiet we waited ages, no service or attention and unskilled staff who can not package or upsell a thing, the menu on all counts looks advance except this place is a tragedy to syrian cusine and nothing like any syrian eats at home, and when you eat syrian home cooked cusine you question yourself why are we paying for this.

I usually dine with my associates and 2 are sunday time food critics this restaurant would be bottom of the list, no flair, no service no taste zero experience. More money has gone into the outdoor signing than the food.
Cut the menu to 10 items and make them amazing rather than trying to offer so many dishes that all taste the same and none of you know how to perfect, and My own sryian friend will not even eat there. With the greatest of respect KFC and other chicken takeaways are available taste much better, and the staff smile at you and say thank you at the end.

Completely depressing, worst food in cowley no taste and all staff completer lack of training when they ask if burnt food you want boxed up considering it was pushed to the edge of the table for 25 mins and when bringing it over they think burnt black food is acceptable omg you are been taken for a ride, and paying staff to bring your house down literally.
Unfortunately if you do close or suffer losses if you want someone to blame look in the mirror, look to france a basic waiter of 50 years old take so much pride in his job and the staff here cant even apologise the waitress could barley manage a sorry for your food, when the chef knew all along that he could look me in the eye when paying as he was attempting to fob me off as most people never send food back and this is naughty trying to extort me because a chef can not cook a dish. this was grilled sardines and salad £15 burnt beyond recognition and only scum would do this absolute fraudulent behaviour, why did this even leave the kitchen.

Date of visit: July 2018