“Good idea to book! ”
Review of The Pickled Walnut

The Pickled Walnut
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pickled Walnut is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #235 of 703 Restaurants in Oxford
Reviewed 1 May 2017 via mobile

We visited early on a Friday night as my son works in Oxford and had suggested this restaurant for his birthday meal. Even though it was just 6:30 it was filling up and they squeezed us in as a table for 3 if we could be finished by 8 pm. The decor is light and casual, with wooden tables and chairs, although some seats are similar to footstools. The serving staff were friendly and efficient. We had 3 starters, including various hummus, flatbreads and fried courgettes. We also had the mixed grills and a vegetarian mixed grill. The meats were nicely cooked and flavoured - the vegetarian dish was heavy on onion - but that is a matter of taste. With a glass of wine, 3 beers and the 10% service charge it was £78.

Reviewed 30 April 2017

I lived in Dubai for three years and lived off Lebanese food for basically five days a week bare minimum (I love it!).

The food here is great, it is a little on the expensive side - I was given about two people's food up the road at the Bodrum Turkish place the day before - but it is authentic, and very delicious.

Syrian food is like Lebanese but a little bit more spicy in my experience - for me, an added bonus!

The place is really beautifully decorated and the service good. I will definitely go here again on my next visit to Oxford.

Reviewed 28 April 2017

Very authentic delicious food along with charming prompt service and a great atmosphere.
We really enjoyed our meal here. We were made to feel very welcome. The waiter was attentive but not over the top, very nice space to eat in and the food was really good. Lots to choose from and a very varied menu in terms of meats and vegetables and salad.
Will be visiting again soon! Thank you.

Reviewed 23 April 2017 via mobile

Our first connect to Syrian kitchen and we love it. Great food, fast service and a good location for the restaurant.

Reviewed 22 April 2017

This Syria restaurant is a fairly new arrival on the Cowley Road. The decor is fresh and bright. There is a large menu, featuring classic Arabic dishes and 'street food'. I've tried the mixed grill and the mloukhia with chicken, both excellent. There is also good choice of beer and wines, many from the Middle East.