“Keeping it sassy!”
Review of Society Cafe

Society Cafe
Ranked #15 of 48 Coffee & Tea in Oxford
Description: An Independent Speciality Coffee shop in the heart of Oxford City centre. Bringing you the very best coffees from roasters and farms around the world. An ever changing coffee menu and a range of filter coffees. We also have an amazing selection of single estate Hot Chocolates made from chunks of the real thing, an ever growing choice of high quality loose leaf teas. We serve a selection of pastries, cakes and sandwiches as well as cold drinks. In the summer we serve a selection of wonderful home brewed iced teas and cold brew coffees. Located on St. Michaels Street which is just off Cornmarket near Waterstones and WH Smith. Hope to welcome you. Adrian
Reviewed 9 March 2018

The perfect combination of modern and cozy. Great place to sit down and grab a cup of coffee in the afternoon. Although I do agree with other reviews that said the coffee could be a bit hotter. The welcoming atmosphere with shared and private tables makes you feel like staying for as long as you want. Definitely want to go back to try some of the sweet treats and also the matcha latte, which seemed like a house special since I saw many people ordering it.

Reviewed 21 February 2018 via mobile

Standout coffee shop in Oxford.

Professional accurate Baristas and most importantly tasty coffee.

Great range of eats and non coffee related items.

Helps they use beans from Origin too one of my favourite roasters.

Reviewed 5 February 2018

Kids. Ain't they just a pip! Unless you are a highly calibrated barista trying to get a perfectly made double macchiato to the table. Then they're a pain in the bum. Or so it seemed from the miffed look on the guys face. Or maybe he was upset because he's 6ft 4" and has an apron designed for someone of smaller stature? Who knows. Either way, he was disgruntled.

Cakes. Holey freyholeys. Wherever you get your choc brownies from, speak nicely to them forever more. Absolutely crackalackin'. Go just for the cakes.

Nice atmosphere though and if a smile or two happened to be deployed, then it would be a perfect 5. We felt like we were not allowed to be in the society.

Reviewed 26 January 2018

Such a lovely space, delicious pastries, cakes and sandwiches. An impressive selection of coffees too. However, the last 3 times I have been (I have given it 3 chances before writing a bad review) I have asked for a cappuccino and been given what resembles a latte (the most recent time I asked for a cappuccino 'not to be too milky' and it was no different). Whilst waiting for the coffee the barista, who came across quite rude, seemed to be snickering about my request to a less milky drink. Again, I received another latte - no froth whatsoever. It seems a shame that arguably one of the best cafes in Oxford can be ruined by pretentious baristas and what seems like a fundamental gap in coffee making knowledge.

AJPCH, Owner at Society Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2018

Dear Lizzie,
I am really sorry to hear this.
We pride ourselves on our passion and knowledge for coffee. All our baristas are trained to SCAE standards and have exemplary knowledge of all our coffee drinks.
There is a huge amount of confusion in the coffee shop world over what a cappuccino is. The size of cup, amount of milk, how much textured milk, whether to add chocolate. It varies enormously from shop to shop.
We serve our cappuccino in a 9oz cup with about a cm of more textured milk to the top. We don't add chocolate.
Having said this, if a customer asks for something slightly different then we oblige. We are in the service industry after all and our customers know how they like their drinks. Chocolate is there if required as is cinnamon.
We actually have our own newspaper now with a section dedicated to describing how to make each of our coffee drinks.
I am trying to understand how this may have gone wrong for you and I will need to talk to the baristas to find out more. However, I can assume that either you are used to a different style of cappuccino to the one we make or our baristas have tried to make one differently for you as perhaps requested and have misunderstood you and done it wrong.
Either way, I am very sorry that you didn't have the drink you would have liked.
The entire experience of a visit to one of our shops should be perfect. That is everything from the drink to the ambience to the service. To hear that you thought our barista was pretentious really upsets me. The service is incredibly important. I can only put this down again to the barista possibly trying to understand your request, perhaps explaining our cappuccino to you? I am not sure. I will certainly investigate. But for the life in me I cannot think of one of our baristas that would behave pretentiously. We live and breath our customers experience. It is what makes us all enjoy what we do - pride in offering an amazing experience on every level.
I am genuinely sorry that we let your expectations down but do hope that we may welcome you back.
With warmest wishes
Adrian

Reviewed 17 January 2018

The coffee is alright, but often I’ll go and order, sit down, and never receive anything. They frequently needed to be prompted before they’ll remember to serve you.

Was just in there and reading while waiting, and I look up to funda 30 minutes has passed with no black coffee in sight, despite several other people receiving their drinks. No shortage of staff either, but they don’t seem to know what they’re doing. Walked out as I couldn’t be bothers doing their job for them. Won’t be back either. Try the Jericho Coffee Traders on the High Street, or the Natural Bread Company in Little Clarendon Street.

1  Thank Anthony W