“Disappointed with service and waitress knowledge of gluten free items”

Brasserie and Bar at Malmaison - Oxford
Ranked #217 of 740 Restaurants in Oxford
Price range: US$0 - US$69
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Malmaison Brasserie in Oxford ��� once people were plotting to get out. Now they���re paying to get in. Set in a one-time prison where bad guys were detained at Her Maj���s pleasure, Malmaison Brasserie (part of the supersexy, supercool Malmaison hotel group) is now dedicated to your pleasure instead. The Brasserie has its own unique atmosphere that���s a bit gothic and funky, very much stylish and modern. The menu boasts simple favourites prepared with consummate skill, like signature dishes.
Reviewed 14 January 2018

This is my second time visiting this restaurant. The first was for afternoon tea which i really enjoyed. However last night i went for dinner with my husband for his birthday. I cannnot knock the food in anyway it was delicious. The waitress not so great. I am gluten free due to having Coeliac disease. Instead of telling me what the gluten free options were she said for me to say what i wanted and she would check. Fair enough, but instead of checking i just kept getting i think thats gluten free. For the pudding i ordered something, which again she thought was gluten free, however instead of checking proceeded to order. It wasn’t until she told me that it took 10 minutes to cook and i asked her what exactly was being cooked that it turned out to be a cake which of course contains gluten. On top of this i ordered something twice which didn’t turn up at all, with no explanation. I just think when you visit a restaurant that caters for gluten free that they should do this properly and the staff should fully understand this. And when you are paying for food at this price and you order something it should arrive the first time, you shouldn’t have to order it again for it still not to arrive!

Date of visit: January 2018

Reviewed 21 December 2017

Visited for lunch, really lovely setting with a nice atmosphere. Food was delicious all round so had a really great time.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed 15 December 2017 via mobile

Visited tonight and first appearances was that we were it was impressive, the decor and ambiance were perfect.. That was the extent of being impressed though as having been told to have a seat and we would be served at our table, this failed to materialise. After 10 minutes (the place was not busy) I went to the bar to order drinks and was told again to have a seat and someone would be with me, after a further 10 minutes we left. The barman cheerfully waved goodbye to me, so I guess we can't fault their friendliness. Great place shame about the service

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed 22 November 2017 via mobile

I booked a table on-line for dinner for November 8th, removing at the bottom of the form three ticks that would have given Malmaison permission to use my details for advertising purposes. The meal was okay- nothing to either rave or complain about. Malmaison's attraction in Oxford is in its building and castle setting. The restaurant is so dark it is really difficult to read the menu, which is not in the least atmospheric. When to my amazement a good week later my email Inbox contained Christmas publicity from Malmaison, I got angry and made a complaint via Feedback. An automatic response from the Team pinged in, announcing that one of its members would be in touch as soon as possible. Several days passed. I wrote again, just requesting confirmation that my details had been removed from all lists and would not be passed around. Ping, an identical acknowledgement from the Team fell into the Inbox. How often might this sequence be repeated? Malmaison had a bare cheek using my details, permission for which I had expressly withheld, particularly since I had been given the option to refuse. Can a person not just have a meal without being bothered indefinitely as a result? I am annoyed.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 7 November 2017

Booked Malmaison for Cocktail afternoon tea for my Mums 80th birthday.
Very attractive in side. A number of tables sharing the afternoon tea experience. Beautifully presented - my cocktail came in a teacup with a colour matched pansy floating! Price compared well to other establishments in Oxford. Loads of food - we did leave a bit!

Date of visit: August 2017