“Very good cafe”
Review of Vindolanda Cafe

Vindolanda Cafe
Ranked #41 of 120 Restaurants in Hexham
Reviewed 6 July 2017

Inexpensive lunch while exploring the area. Hot ham and cheese paninis were a good choice on a cool, damp day.

Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

After a walk through the the ruins, and feeling chilly, it was great to find this warm and cheerful cafe offering a good range of sandwiches and paninis, as well as meals for children. The service was cheerful and friendly, and whilst it was busy at lunchtime, we didn't mind waiting for our food, which was tasty. There is also an outside eating area for warm days.
A nice way to round of a trip to Vindolanda.

Reviewed 14 February 2017

This popular cafe can be very busy, but it's worth waiting for a seat. Good wholesome food to provide sustenance for the rest of the site visit.

Reviewed 18 December 2016 via mobile

My wife and I have visited Vindolanda a number of times in recent years because (with the Roman Army Museum) it is quite wonderful. The cafe is less so. Prices are quite steep by the standards of the area and the food is unnecessarily poor: like the tasteless 'cardboard' panini we had today. The staff do not give the impression of liking their jobs and the ambience is soulless. We have eaten here more than once because it is handy, but after another underwhelming experience we'll go elsewhere in future. But do visit Vindolanda itself.

VindolandaTrust, Manager at Vindolanda Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2016

I am sorry to hear you were disappointed during your visit to the Café at Vindolanda.
We monitor the prices of local cafes very carefully and ensure that the Vindolanda Café offers god quality food below the local average price.
Had you advised the staff that your Panini was unsatisfactory, a replacement, refund or alternative would have been offered by our award winning customer service team.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit to the museum.

Reviewed 26 September 2016 via mobile

Our intention was to go on a short walk to this place and my wife needed to use the toilet urgently (woman's trouble). As we got on we thought we'd have a quick drink as it was a very warm day. As we went to go through to the cafe we was abruptly told that we can't go in cafe unless we paid £6.75 each as to use facilities we must visit the museum. I JOKINGLY said " really, well that adds up to a expensive drink". Well this was like a red rag to a bull. Apparently I was being very arrogant and rude. (Obviously didn't understand dry sense of humour!) This abrasive attitude towards us inevitably got our backs up and asked if we could at least use toilets. She (the woman with short grey hair about 55 to 60) abruptly said no and said rudely that it said on the door and you can't miss it. Well sorry we did! I, being defensive of my wife and her situation said that she will be using the toilet as she desperately needs it and that her attitude is very poor. Well she explained that she can use it but i couldn't. Had she simply at the beginning approached calmly and explained the rules of the place things would of passed happily and we would have asked a favour in using the toilet. I actually own a snack bar and my wife works in a hospital so we appreciate how customers can be but this woman was totally rude and unacceptable. On leaving we decided to go to there other shop, quarter of a mile at the top of the hill and was met by a very courteous and polite young lady and I asked if it would be possible to take a bottle of water without entering premises as we understood that we couldn't sit down because of company policy. We was very thirsty. Apparently she'd been made aware of me from the other shop. We was gobsmacked as I only ever showed my displeasure after been initially spoken to in a totally rude manner. Apparently they get a lot of difficult and rude customers at the one at the bottom of the hill explained the polite lady (I wonder why? Coincidence or well you make up your minds) needless to say the woman with grey short hair was unpleasant, rude and did the place no favours at all as the place looked really nice and pleasant. Although we didn't necessarily like or agree with the ruling of having to pay £6.75 to even step in the building we'd have accepted it a lot easier without the abruptness and down right rude attitude. It ruined what was a lovely two days away with the wife.