1,757 results
All reviews loft suite roll top bath four poster york suite park restaurant antique furniture free standing bath lovely hotel city centre double shower breakfast was excellent one night stay main building poster bed full english ten minute walk breakfast room
Reviewed 18 July 2016

Firstly - ideally I would give this place 3.5 stars if possible! The hotel is located on a leafy street just off a main road, ten minutes walk into the centre. When we arrived reception staff were courteous and asked if we preferred a room with a shower as we could be upgraded to a four poster bed room with a roll-top bath, They did mention that the roll-top bath had a handheld shower only with no screen.We were not too bothered so went for the upgrade. My partner asked if he could park in one of their spaces, which we were given.

However upon paying for the room on arrival he noted that there was an extra charge added to the bill which he queried. We were told that it was for the parking - which we should have been told about when we asked about using one of the spaces. We brought our bags inside as staff said we could but were then told our room wouldn't be available for another few hours - so we left our bags with them and were told they would be in our room by 3pm. So we left for a wander and to get our lunch.

Upon our return we were taken up to our room, which was bright and airy but our bags were not in the room. The lady told us that they must have been put in the wrong room, and she quickly left to locate them. Seemed odd as the reception staff in the morning seemed to know specifically which room we would be in? Nevermind, all returned in one piece quickly!

As a Victorian townhouse don't expect the fixtures and fittings to be modern - it is all character and the most modern things you will find are the TV and the telephone! Nicely decorated though and very clean. The bathroom was large and clean, with a rolltop bath at the end. The bedroom itself has no air-con or fan provided, but I have read other reviews where they have been asked for and provided. We choose to sleep with the window open as it was a warm day. Obviously the only issue was waking up to noise from outside the following morning - to be expected! Also I checked on my mobile for wifi and it did say that the hotel had it, but required a password - no one on reception had mentioned this at all to us when we checked in as most hotels do. I just ended up using my network instead.

We went out in the evening an upon our return decided to have a drink in the lounge. Nice to see the bar is open until 2am for guests, so we had time to relax after midnight, and the lounge is VERY comfy and an asset to the hotel.

Using the rolltop bath the next morning - they could do with some sort of tray on the wall or attached to the bath to put shampoos etc in. You cannot put anything on the side of the bath without it falling off.

Breakfast - if anything I would say they were slightly understaffed. Mostly one person dealing with all of the hotel guests in the atrium and we had to wait a little while to get attention when we sat down. However she was very polite and breakfast was brought to us within a decent time. Nice breakfast too as we both went for an English - sausage, bacon, black pudding, egg cooked to choice, beans, tomato and toast. There are also continental choices available in the room.

The staff were polite and helpful at all times however - organising cab pick-ups for us, and offering information and guides on York. Would I stay here again? Hmmm if there was another hotel that I would like to try in York then probably not. For me personally it would not be a hotel that I could see myself returning to again and again. But it has plenty of charm and character, so a nice change for something different from the uber-modern.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SabinaB1979
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2016

Thank you for taking the time and leaving your very thorough review for Marmadukes town House Hotel.

I believe our website is a true reflection of what we advertise to what service and product you receive. Hopefully this brief summary will help future guests:
We are a characterful Victorian Town House Hotel, located on a peaceful, leafy Grove. Car Parking is charged at a reasonable £7 per night, which certainly beats the £2.80 per hour rate and 10-minute walking distance from us. Yes, you are correct you can check-in and leave you car as early as you wish, however rooms will be ready at 3.00pm.

Our team here are very polite, courteous and friendly, they will try and do up and above of what you may need or even may need to know about York. I know on your check in you had the pleasure of meeting our new receptionist who had started that very day so I am sorry you encountered an issue with your luggage, I can assure you it was in our luggage store not in another room.

Just in case we have missed any minor details on check in all information regarding Marmadukes or what to do and see in York can be found in your White Guest Directory Book.

We hope you return back to us in the near future.

Reviewed 17 July 2016 via mobile

Stayed here for one night with my sister in law, we couldn't fault the hotel it was in a perfect location, the room was lovely and spotlessly clean, all the staff we met we're friendly and helpful. Breakfast was amazing. I would definitely stay here again and will recommend to friends. Thank you

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alisonjeffrey

Thank you for taking the time and leaving a short but perfectly effective 5 star review for Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

Thank you for mentioning our excellent location, being only a 10-minute walk to the city walls you get the best of both worlds.

Our housekeeping team will be thrilled that you mentioned our excellent cleaning standards, they work so hard and as much as I appreciate the team it is lovely for you to comment.

I hope breakfast set you up for the days activities, we really hope you return back to us very soon.

Reviewed 15 July 2016

This was a really lovely hotel. We stayed in a standard double with en suite. Although the room was small it had everything we needed and was very comfortable. There are two public lounge areas in the main hotel so if we had wanted to relax in there we could. The breakfast was lovely and the dining room very bright and relaxing. Location wise this hotel is perfect for exploring York as it is literally 10 mins stroll to York Minster. Lots of pubs and eateries nearby. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit! The staff were very helpful and friendly too!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hollie P
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2016

Thank you for taking the time and leaving your lovely five-star review for Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

We are so pleased that even though your bedroom was on the smaller side that you found your stay comfortable.

Thank you for mentioning our short 10 minute stroll to the city walls and hopefully you thoroughly enjoyed your breakfast in our light and airy breakfast room.

We hope to see you return back to us very soon and thank you again.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 12 July 2016 via mobile

The only reason I'm not giving 5 stars is the location isn't as close to everything as I would have liked. It's great if you want to be in a more neighborhood setting. But it is a solid 10 min walk to the city walls, and i walk fast. The entire hotel is full of beautiful antiques and there's tons of rustic elegance.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2016

Thank you so much for taking the time and leaving your review for Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

I am sorry that you didn’t find the location as near as you would have hoped, it is a ten-minute walk to the city walls. Hopefully you did enjoy our peaceful location.

Thank you for your lovely description of rustic elegance. We hope you do decide to return back to us in the near future.

Reviewed 10 July 2016 via mobile

Stayed with a couple of friends as we were going to the races. I've stayed in many hotels all over the world and I have to say this place was excellent. I only stayed in a single room but the standard of finish in the room was excellent and very tastefully done. All the staff I had dealings with were friendly and very helpful. Breakfast was excellent and the serving staff were very attentive. The building is a period property and the interior has been done out to suit that. I would definitely recommend this place and will be taking the wife on our next visit to York.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank adrian-73
Marmadukes Town... H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2016

Thank you for taking the time and leaving a wonderful 5 if possible 6-star review for Marmadukes Town House Hotel.

Thank you for your recommendation to future guests visiting Marmadukes, we are so grateful of your lovely comments.

Thank you for mentioning our wonderful team here and how you appreciated our period property and décor.

We will look forward to you returning back to us and thank you once again.