“Family Gathering”
Review of Holiday Inn York

Holiday Inn York
Ranked #34 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 18 October 2017

We had to book in a hurry due to a family funeral. Most of my family managed to book into the Holiday inn Express in York but my husband and I were too late, they were fully booked. We booked into the Holiday Inn instead (the other side of York). We weren't too upset about that but the problem was that my brother had booked my elderly mum into the Express with him for one night but discovered later that she needed to stay two nights.The hotel had no rooms for the second night though. The deal he had was no refunds and the hotel refused to help him in any way (we as a family had booked 13 people into both hotels) . I managed to move my mum into the Holiday Inn with me but my brother ended up paying for a room he didn't need, it remained empty all night. Not good. Our experience in the Holiday Inn was good,the staff were friendly, helpful (the kind girl in reception gave us a bunch of flowers, jar of sweets and card when she discovered we were going to a funeral). We all slept well, beds comfy. Room quiet. The only problem was that I felt the staff weren't trained properly, I had a problem in the bar with a young man who kept yawning, gave me the wrong drinks twice and was very inefficient and there was a muddle when we paid our bill at the end of our stay. BUT on the whole it was a pleasant experience and the staff we met were delightful. Maybe management need to re-assess how they train their staff. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank jennysionidog
HIYork, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2017

Good Morning Jenny,

Thank you so much for your feedback i am glad that we were able to accommodate your visit. I am really happy to hear that you liked the flowers that i brought to you and i hope that they managed to last after your visit to the Hotel. I will certainly bring up the issues with the restaurant/ bar staff as this is not the standard i would expect any of our guests to receive. I can assure you that this is not company standard.

I hope we do get the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.
If you require any further assistance please don't hesitate to contact me further on my email which is Hr@hiyorkhotel.co.uk

Jade

Write a ReviewReviews (1,416)

Reviewed 16 October 2017

The room was clean, comfy & warm though the bathroom seemed very small. Good shower. Recently refurbished. Dining room not exciting but ok. The car park is dangerously pot holed. But why on October 15 is there a Christmas tree in reception?

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 4wheelsonmywagon
HIYork, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I will pass your feedback on to the relevant departments please do not hesitate to contact me directly t hr@hiyorkhotel.co.uk to discuss anything further.We have the Christmas tree up with flyers and business cards to let our guests know that we are able to give them the option to book an Christmas event such as a party or another special event in the Christmas period. We hope we get the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

Good hotel within walking distance of York City centre.

Hotel is a bit dated in places but that is surpassed by the friendly and helpful staff on hand.

The Junction restaurant within offers two 10oz Ribeye or two 8oz Sirloin steaks + b
Bottle of house wine for £39, which is a good deal.

Leaving the hotel, turn right (off Cherry Land) and you have a 15 minute walk to the city walls passing many bus stops en route.

Parking spaces are a plenty, so best drive here, check in, leave the car and enjoy the city’s many restaurants and traditional pubs.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I will pass your feedback on to the relevant departments please do not hesitate to contact me directly t hr@hiyorkhotel.co.uk to discuss anything further.We hope we get the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

Ideal location if you are going to the races, nice size rooms, comfy bed, breakfast at extra cost but worth it. Easy to find with ample free parking. Nice size bar/lounge and not too expensive prices.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 October 2017

We stayed here for 4 nights in October for some sightseeing and to attend the Yorkshire Marathon. 2 hours train journey from Kings Cross London and then an easy bus ride of less than 10 mins from York train station (look for buses to Tadcaster and get off at St Edwards Church, 2 mins from the hotel).
Upon arrival the receptionist was deep in conversation on the phone and we were kept waiting for 10 mins or so and then offered no apology when she finally finished; not the best of starts.
Our room was on the first floor overlooking the back car park and was very clean and very quiet, we slept so well here! The room was a good size but the bathroom was ridiculously tiny though well equipped. The room was cleaned well each day though the sheets were not changed in the 4 nights we were there.
Breakfast on day one was a shambles! We were not directed to a table so had to find one ourselves and because all the mugs are set upright on the tables it is confusing as you think they are in use. Putting them upside down would look a lot better too.
At the hot buffet large plates had run out and we had to ask for them. Then bowls run out and we had to again ask for them. The milk ran out and guests were having to stand around before a staff member realised there was a problem. Teaspoons also ran out and long cafe style spoons were offered instead. We had to ask twice for a coffee top-up. Hot food items ran out as did the orange juice so although the food was good the whole experience wasnt good at all. Thankfully on the following days they redeemed themselves and all went well with good service. It was obviously a shortage of staff that caused the initial problem and an apology or explanation would have been nice.
We didnt eat other meals here and only had one drink in the bar on our last night. Good service but over priced. Go to the pub over the road!!
It was a good 30 mins walk into the city centre but we were fine with that and helped burn off the excess calories we consumed whilst in York! Regular buses also run along the straight route into the city.
Check out was a much better experience than check in. Very friendly and happy to chat about our time in York.
Overall a good stay though and much preferred staying out of town than being in the centre.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple