New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Lovely hotel with excellent staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mount Royale Hotel & Spa

Mount Royale Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 46 Hotels in York
“Lovely hotel with excellent staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2011

My wife and I have just come back from a very enjoyable weekend in York where we stayed with friends at the excellent Mount Royal Hotel. York is a lovely place for a weekend break but for us the highlight was this charming hotel. The staff couldn't have been more friendly or more helpful, I don't think I have ever been as well looked after in a hotel, and I stay away a lot. Not only were our bags taken to our rooms when we arrived but our friends were upgraded (they couldn't upgrade us as we already had a suite) and the staff made sure we had everything we needed at all times. The breakfast was one of the best I have had, freshly cooked and lots of choice and to top it all, on Sunday morning they even gave us a private dining room as there was 6 of us. The rooms are of a very generous size and tastefully decorated, the biggest bed I have ever slept in and very comfortable All in all a charming and unique hotel and much preferable to the usual formula chain hotels. Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Baxteral

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2011

All the staff at this hotel were lovely - exceedingly helpful, polite and happy to go the extra mile. The hotel is quirky - I understand each room is different and it is very tardis like - the gardens appeared small at first but explore further and they are really quite enchanting. The breakfast was absolutley wonderful with plenty of choice and hearty portions. Location was good, being a short walk into the centre of York.
On the down side our room was at the very top of the hotel in the attic and rather dark in appearance. It could have been made more welcoming by chosing a different colour scheme and upgrading the furniture. On the whole I felt it was a tad expensive to stay here coming in at £220 for a two night stay.

Room Tip: Be nice to check-in staff.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Polargirl13
Harrogate, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

Have stayed at the hotel many times and found it welcoming and friendly but on my latest stay I discovered that the restaurant has recentlyt been let to a new organisation although charges are put through the hotel.Beware! When I went to settle my bill I had been charged for a number of drinks which I had not ordered and upon investigation it was found that a false chitty had been recorded by staff at the restaurant and my sgnature had been forged

Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ericelliott251
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

After reading other reviews before booking I expected much more from this Hotel. First appearences suggested a tired hotel which need a remake. Hotel room had an extremely poor shower over the bath and looked dated. It looked as though electricity cabling had been added later in untidy trunking. The bed was comfortable.Not great value .I would have to get a good deal to stay here again. An early night was impossible in our room as a rumbling noise made sleep difficult.The only saving grace was the breakfast choice Fish cakes and eggs benedict all nicely cooked. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The attractive garden area is worth a look where an outdoor pool sauna and steam room is situated.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Titch5656
Eaglescliffe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

Very friendly hotel with excellent breakfasts.
Only a 10min walk to the city walls.
Slightly expensive for what you get

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor have limited head room. Swimming poor is closed from the end of September
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple