Open today: 10:00 - 17:00
Review Highlights
Really nice

An interesting insight into some of the key features - Jurassic, Roman, Medieval. The staff were... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
curtism0962
Padiham, United Kingdom
via mobile
Good history, slightly expensive

Really good history of York, with many different antiques from the past. Virtual reality... read more

Reviewed 8 November 2018
bodyboardpro
Southampton, United Kingdom
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around York
The York Dungeon
26 Reviews
from US$16.70
from US$24.59
from US$14.70
from US$19.20
More Info
All reviews natural history middleham jewel virtual reality roman artefacts extinct animals pre history on display medieval york interesting exhibits roman times abbey ruins couple of hours well worth a visit entrance fee york pass great for kids value for money
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Waited 30 mins to be told excitedly at the entrance that the main attraction inside was an Argentinosaurus (wow) that you could walk under (and look at it’s bottom, yes we were promised that) - but would have to queue again? This turned to be nothing more than ONE VR headset with another 25 min wait during which time we gave up as our 5 and 6 yr old boys were getting bored and worried when a child fell over with it on and hurt himself as we stood in line. Apart from that - two rooms, with Yorkshire's trilobites and ammonites etc., and, wait for it, 'although not found in Yorkshire but Oxfordshire' - a Megalosaurus (a real dinosaur - hooray!) - well a picture of it on the wall. Laughably, the main attraction in one room was a 'sandpit-type thing that children with little or no imagination could 'look' for plastic 'fossils'. Other than that, a badly displayed Plesiosaur, I guess exhibited because they were found close to what was ‘Yorkshire’ - although I did not realise Argentina was part of Yorkshire. Overhyped - with David Attenborough opening it and a sneaky marketing campaign showing real-looking dinosaurs on posters and a youtube video craftily not showing any of the exhibit but bits of York dubbed with dinosaur ‘sounds’. Sorry, but kids (and adults too) are not interested in tatty fossils you could find in any museum display with boring descriptions about chalk deposits in the Cretaceous (thought we were in the Jurassic) etc. They want to see large skeletons of meat-eating theropods, plant-eating sauropods etc, to get their imaginations running. 20 mins in two overcrowded rooms (well we detoured the obligatory shop) - it claims it is on 3 floors - one 'floor' is about "Yorkshire man" (did cavemen live with dinosaurs or in the Jurassic? Seriously!), followed by a few stairs up to a third floor the size of a box room. We thought we had just started the exhibition and were getting dinosaur-excited when we found ourselves at the exit - 15 quid lighter (plus the expense of a trip to York) with 2 unhappy boys! Totally duped. Cynically executed Yorkshire museum. Cheers, well done!

3  Thank jim60006
Reviewed 5 April 2018

£10 entrance fee and worth every penny . So much to see it kept us busy for about a hour and a half . When you think you have finished one section you find yourself starting the ww1 section and everything is so realistic. When I visit York again I will put this on my visiting list .

1  Thank albert1218
Reviewed 5 April 2018

Visited today with my 11 year old. This was his choice for a day out. It isn't the biggest museum you will ever visit and my advice if you want to see the Jurassic displays is to arrive at 10am. We arrived at 10am with hardly any queues but when we left at 12 noon, there was massive queues waiting to get it. The museum has many interesting dispalys and incorporated part of an ancient abbey which is very different. Lots of interesting exhibits detailing a lot of York's vibrant history and interesting facts. For example, I did not know York under Roman rule was known as Eboracum. Exhibits even include real skeletons which is a little creepy but yet intriguing. Take lunch as there is no real cafe. Decent selection of reasonably priced items in the gift shop and priced at pocket money prices. My soon bought a fossil, a stone and a bracelet for under £7. The Museum gardens are a lovely spot for alfresco lunch is the weather is nice as it was today. Staff were genuinely welcoming and pleasant and tried hard to make your visit enjoyable. A great morning out and my Son loved it!!

1  Thank andrewkeithc
Reviewed 5 April 2018

Absolutely dreadful. Described by my five year old son as 'the worst day of my life'.
There were 2 or possibly 3 dinosaur skeletons, one PICTURE of a dinosaur on a wall, one cgi / hologram type dinosaur and the rest was really just a few fossils. Unbelievably there was a sand-pit type affair, filled with gravel, that I'm assuming was supposed to be an 'interactive experience'.
There was actually only ONE interactive experience in the whole exhibition, a VR headset (couldn't they have stretched to a couple at least?), and of course there was a ridiculously long queue to use this!
The whole exhibition was massively oversold. We queued for about 40 minutes and spent about 20 minutes inside.

1  Thank jamminella
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

We lined up in the rain for about 30-35min to get in. The dinosaur exhibit intrigued me but I was a little disappointed when I got in, it was literally 2 small rooms. It was great for kids however as there were plenty of interactive games and activities for kids. I’m not sure if I missed a section but the museum itself was very small. If you don’t have kids to entertain I wouldn’t bother going.