All reviews swimming pool steam room manager chris city centre lovely pool four poster minute walk the hotel manager poster bed lovely hotel car park the national railway museum good size family room booked this hotel bus stop visiting york
Reviewed 4 October 2016 via mobile

Staff are all pleasant on arrival and helpful.
Shown to our dark room and immediately noticed the smell. Strong air freshner and open window. I guess this is to disguise another odour but was very off putting. If it hadn't been so late I would of tried for a refund. We didn't complain as really didn't want to put more of a downer on our break and just put it down to not researching properly. Bathroom very dated with a stained sink. Small cheap wardrobe and furnishings.
I would class it as a large B & B not a hotel. Has a small bar below reception which we didn't bother with. Breakfast which you have to order , not buffet style, was not to my liking as I like quality produce and couldn't eat mine. Stuck to some toast.
I really wish we had researched better before booking as we like to stay in nice larger hotels with a bit of luxury and didn't realise this wasn't what was on offer. So I guess this is partially our own fault. I would rather pay a bit more and get quality although £400 for three nights is by no means cheap. We had found others more central for a bit more and wish we had paid the extra.
The pros
Bed was large and comfortable. 20 mins walk to centre of York. Quiet location.

I see plenty of good reviews and I am by no means saying this place is awful because it isn't . We just like and expect better.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
KILIMA, Manager at Best Western Kilima Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2016

Dear bonniebear,
Thank you for your review of the hotel.
I am sorry to see that this was not the hotel for you but do wish you every success on you future travels.

Reviewed 23 September 2016 via mobile

I'm thinking perhaps I was put in one of the few older rooms judging by the other reviews. The receptionist on arrival was really helpful and friendly (hence the average rating) but the decor and cleanliness in room 16 on the ground floor was dreadful. The decor was a mismatch of migraine-inducing patterns, carpet worn and bathroom very tired. There was a great deal of noise, doors banging etc. as people came in and out of the main door. Perhaps if I'd been given a room in the extended part of the hotel it would've been better.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
KILIMA, Manager at Best Western Kilima Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2016

Dear mattmdrew,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your arrival at the hotel.
I am only sorry we did not live up to you first impressions.
I have made a note of your comments regarding the housekeeping and have had a word with them regarding this.
As for the décor it is always a personal choice and taste but it is in keeping with a period building.
Please call direct next time so that we may be given the opportunity to allocate you a room more suited to you needs.

Reviewed 20 September 2016

Good location just outside central York. Excellent off street car parking. Indoor swiming pool. Very good amenities and breakfasts. Older building. My room floor creeked quite badly and walls are pretty thin. Staff were excellent. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo

Dear slippery2016
Thank you for your review of the hotel.
The floors in some of the older rooms do indeed creek as the building was built in 1871.
We have in the past tried to stop this with work on the floor but within a couple of years it returns.
The car parking is as you say excellent and is free to all guest who take the time to call on 01904 625787 and make a direct booking if not then we charge £5.00 per day.
I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 17 September 2016

Very welcoming and helpful staff. Breakfast was excellent. Loved the swimming pool.
Would definitely stay again. Nice touches in the room like an iron and ironing board. Very good location and within walking distance of everything.

Room Tip: We were on the rain road but not a problem for us. Lovely four poster bed.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
KILIMA, Manager at Best Western Kilima Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2016

Dear iandrw2014,
Great to see you enjoyed the hotel so much. We are constantly striving to improve the guest experience and welcome all remarks both good and bad as constructive.
I look forward to your return but please remember that even if we look closed on the internet we may still have rooms to sell direct.

Reviewed 15 September 2016

Convenient location on the western edge of the city centre, about 20 minutes walk from the Cathedral, and benefiting from good on site parking. The property is well presented with nice decor in common parts and very nice, semi subterranean, characterful dining room. My room was comfortably furnished with many nice touches and a decent en suite. I had a very good night's sleep followed by an excellent breakfast. The hotel also benefits from leisure facilities which on this occasion I did not use. I was pleased by the very friendly welcome, assistance to my room with awkward baggage and just general helpfulness and sunny disposition of all staff. Good value for money and I would certainly return.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo

Dear wart1,
Thank you for your review of the hotel.
I is always a great delight to welcome guests back to the hotel and I see that you will be returning. Don't forget to call direct on 01904 625787 for free car parking and a discount of internet prices.