Novotel York Centre(York)(Great Value!)
US$191
US$164
  • Pool
US$121
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Express York(York)(Great Value!)
US$262
US$229
Holiday Inn York(York)(Great Value!)
US$136
  • Breakfast included
US$260
US$176
  • Room Service
Park Inn by Radisson York(York)(Great Value!)
US$218
US$203
4,493 results
All reviewscedar courtmolton brown toiletriesturn down servicestar hotellip balmrise restaurantdoor staffclassic roomexecutive roomunderfloor heatingon arrivaloriginal featuresamazing hotelsteam roomcontinental breakfastdouble showerbeautiful building
Reviewed 5 April 2018

We visited York over the Easter weekend and stayed at the Grand. It is a very impressive hotel and we could not fault the front of house, restaurant, bar and private lounge staff they were all very welcoming and made us feel very comfortable.
Our suite was gorgeous and spotless with so many lovely extras but unfortunately house keeping was not up to 5-star standard. After returning from a long day of shopping we found our room had not be cleaned. Although this was annoying we weren’t too concerned until an hour later when we were getting ready to go out for dinner when the door opened, and housekeeping literally burst in, I was only half dressed and had to very quickly find a top to put on. On our second day again, housekeeping had not been in to clean our room. When we complained we were told they were very busy and that room cleaning does not finish until 7:00pm in the evening! (we have never stayed in a hotel in this country or abroad where rooms have not been cleaned by lunch time) On our third day again, no housekeeping but we were told by the head of housekeeping, that they would clean the room at 6:00pm when we were out for dinner. Unfortunately, when we returned after dinner the room still had not been cleaned and by this time it was late evening. We were told that it had not been cleaned because the head of housekeeping was busy looking after children! It just seemed like another an excuse to us.
You expect and pay for the best from hotels with 5 stars, but The Grand fell short for us. We visit York regularly and have stayed in several excellent 4-star hotels which, in our opinion, have outclassed The Grand. Such a shame.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dianegI2910WV
Katarina V, Rooms Division Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2018

Many thanks for taking the time to provide your candid feedback regarding your recent stay with us at The Grand - we are so disappointed to have left you with such a poor impression of our housekeeping services, rest assured we expect far better than the experience described and will do everything we can to put this right.

I do hope you will allow us a second opportunity to impress on a future visit to York - please feel free to contact me directly so we can ensure you are well taken care of throughout the entirety of your stay.

My apologies once again, and I do hope to hear from you soon!

Reviewed 4 April 2018

My partner and I have stayed here on 3 or 4 previous occasions and although you pay for it, the experience has always been high end. Luxurious, nothing's too much trouble, and the whole process has been seamless. But having stayed there at Easter weekend we were so disappointed with some of the changes that have been put in place. We were given a room number which was then changed, and my friend's room still wasn't ready at 5pm, despite check in time being 3pm. The old restaurant has been taken over as an executive annex (which costs 10k a year to access!) and although the new Hudsons restaurant is nice, they only have tasting menu - the food's great but tasting menus aren't for everyone, so there was no atmosphere as we were the only people dining in there for most of the evening! The new extension that houses The Rise restaurant only offers tapas style service, not an a la carte offering as such. And it's now also where you have to get breakfast. So instead of the previous table waiter service it's predominantly buffet style breakfast. What a disappointment! It was poorly organised and chaotic, and just not what you expect from a high quality hotel. I know this hotel is part of the Cedar Court chain, but I'm paying to stay at the Grand Hotel, not a Cedar Court. They seem to have replaced some of the quality elements with Cedar Court processes, and it's just spoiled the whole thing. Really saddened by the changes, as it's put us off going back to somewhere that was previously a favourite

Room Tip: You can no longer use the pool and spa if you book a classic room
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Guffaw

We are so delighted to hear you have enjoyed so many experiences at The Grand Hotel & Spa, but I was so sorry to read your most recent experience left you feeling so disappointed with the service.

Whilst a lot of changes have taken place in the last year, we promise never to reduce or change our policy on guest service - this is the most important part to us and I am sorry we did not achieve the luxury you have previously enjoyed. We are always doing everything we can to improve the experience and will certainly take your feedback on board to make improvements.

I do hope you will give us another chance to impress - I would be delighted to hear from you directly so we can discuss your expectations and ensure your experience lives up to that by offering the best package for you. We really will do everything we can to put this right so I hope to hear from you soon!

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

As soon as you enter The Grand Hotel and Spa you have first class personable service from the front door man, concierge and reception staff. The hotel is certainly grand and we booked a room which included breakfast and Spa access which is definitely worth paying that little bit extra for as it was massive. The bed was so so comfy. We wish we stayed another night. It's so close to the train station and the city centre. Breakfast in the morning was a real delight and very tasty. The breakfast staff are very attentive and ask before they take away any thing from your table. The hotel even kept our cases whilst we did some sightseeing on the second day. An absolutely perfect hotel and we will definitely book up again.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rachel B

Thank you so much for your five star review - we are so delighted you enjoyed your recent stay with us and can't wait to welcome you back in future.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly if you have any special requests or if there is any way for us to make you more comfortable.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Was not worth £39. Was told to go up at 2:45 as they was letting us all in at 3. Went up at 2:43 and the room was full of people already and digging into the food. So the big reveal was ruined. With it being such a grand hotel and the prices they charge. You expect more input to it. Quite often the music would stop and it’s the little things that’s mean a lot also. When me and my friend got there. There was only 2 types of sandwiches. 1 of which I don’t like as I don’t eat fish. Apart from a few clock inflatables and playing cards. It didn’t really resemble the theme and the price they charge you do expect to be wowed more. The chefs them selves could of done a lot more to make the food to resemble the theme. A lot of room to be creative, but it was all basic. Very disappointed, such a beautiful hotel and amazing staff but not a grand tea party at all. I would advice to spend your afternoon tea money somewhere else.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends

I am so sorry to read you did not enjoy the Mad Hatter's Tea Party - this is so often a huge success and we are so disappointed you left feeling unhappy at the value for money and the offering itself.

We will certainly take your feedback on board and ensure to make improvements where possible as we really do want every guest in the hotel to leave feeling excited to return - we have clearly failed on this occasion.

I hope you have had the opportunity to voice your concerns directly with one of our dedicated team however please do contact me directly if you wish to discuss the experience so we can look at putting this right.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

I have just come back from an Easter break with my girlfriend in the lovely city of York and staying at one of the supposedly best hotels in the city. The exterior is indeed grand as the name suggests and the location is excellent, around the corner from the station and a 5 minute walk to the Minster and the historic centre. The staff are obviously recruited for their personality, warmth and friendliness and the service and their customer-care was superb, dropping names such as Stewart on the door, Jordie the concierge, Alexandra in the bar and breakfast and Harriet at breakfast, top-notch welcome and customer-service.

The hotel reception can either be seen as grand and with lots of character or small, dark and dingy. We had a classic room, which was average and tired and not 5-star in terms of facilities. The windows were paper-thin and are obviously the originals from the 112 year history of the hotel and even with central heating and an extra portable heater, the draught made the room cold, perish the thought staying there in December or January.

Two days running, we returned to our room after a day of sightseeing at 3.00 in afternoon and the room had not yet been cleaned and was not yet ready. We spent this intervening period in the bar and saw other couples in a similar predicament. What made it worse, was that the room was prepared and looked at again for the second time at around 6.30 and so barely 2 to 3 hours after the daily clean, it was looked at again. This seems to smack of poor organisation or perhaps lack of cleaning staff.

Being pernickety, we had to ask for extra shower lotion, as there was never enough distributed during the cleaning process and even though the hotel boasts Sky TV, there were only 2 channels of the general and basic Sky Sports package, something not right for a 5-star hotel.

The breakfast was good, but no better than at many 4-star hotels I have stayed in, in this country or on the continent.

There must definitely be better value at other hotels in York, however the staff deserve great praise.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to provide your honest feedback following your recent stay with us here at The Grand.

Whilst we are delighted you felt the staff looked after you well, we are so disappointed that some of the small details in terms of room servicing and facilities let us down in creating the perfect experience for you.

Your feedback has been discussed with the entire senior team to ensure we look at making the necessary improvements so I do hope you will return in future as we would love to put this right for you and improve your lasting impression of the hotel. Please do contact me directly via the hotel if I can assist in any way!