“Fab atmosphere ”

The Ivy St Helen's Square
Reserve with OpenTable
The Ivy St Helen's Square is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #172 of 945 Restaurants in York
Description: Relaxed yet sophisticated all-day dining in the historic city of York. Open seven days a week offering all-day dining to local businesses, residents and visitors alike, The Ivy St. Helen’s Square is located on the eponymous square in the heart of York and serves an all-encompassing, contemporary British menus for breakfast, weekend brunch, lunch, afternoon tea, and dinner.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

The place was buzzing when we arrived. We were late by 15 minutes but our table wasn’t ready so were shown to the bar. We ended up being sat there for 30 minutes which whilst it wasn’t ideal we were enjoying each other’s company and the prosecco was good! (We later learned, when the bill came, we hadn’t been charged for our 4 glasses of prosecco and bowl of olives which totally took the edge off the table being late so thank you!!) My husband asked for vegan options and the staff were so accommodating. He was really happy with his dish. I had the burger and my only criticism was they offered it to me rare or well done. I love a burger pink in the middle but not bloody and had I not had prosecco and a few gins at the botonist earlier I’d have thought to ask for it medium. I’m not sure why it wasn’t offered as an option. Looking back it was far too dry for my liking but I should have mentioned it at the time but frankly I didn’t think too. I would next time. The chocolate bomb for pudding was just incredible! I loved it. Without doubt for me the atmosphere nailed it. It reminded me of The Langham in London which is a really smart but very relaxed restaurant that is always buzzing. It’s one of my favourite places to eat so I love that I have somewhere similar back home. I’d definitely eat here again.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

You know that the Ivy name guarantees quality and indeed the venue, ambiance, food and choice of staff were all excellent.
It was in the detail that this central York venue disappointed. From the ill designed entrance desk where people waiting to be seated as others tried to exit to rushed staff not scanning the room, this was a case of the management needing to review basic practices. Add to that being charged £3.50 for an additional piece of bacon so overdone that it shattered on the plate (charge removed when I pointed out this was to replace an egg) and the irritation factor rises. I also had a bizarre explanation that replacing non protein items such as beans or eggs (?!) with protein eg bacon or sausage generates a charge - in my book these are all protein? Maybe meat products should be referenced?? Furthermore there was no mention of a charge as I ordered.
When we sat down we were told we needed to vacate our table in 90 min - the slow speed of service meant we just made it...
This is a quality venue with delicious food - but it needs to review its systems
Thus not ‘very good’ but better than ‘average’ - FB take note...

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

we were in york for the day not made a booking just thought we would chance it the place was very busy but they found us a table . very attentive and the food was very good .

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The design of the restaurant is very lovely. Almost feels upmarket French bistro. The food was good and menu extensive but little things were irritating. Our party of 3 was cramped on a table for 2, one setting was missing and when the main course arrived it was only then that knives and forks were brought . Good but not perfect.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The ivy are rolling out there brand to several location in England so i gave this york recently opened a go .slightly pretentious,but i guess that’s the idea,no expense has been spared on the ambiance.service was spot on ,the training was evident food was very good well presented and all elements well executed .i am sure wherever they chose to open will be a great addition to the area .

1  Thank peter f