“Never again will i stay here !!!!!!!!!”
Review of The Park View

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in York
The Park View
Ranked #171 of 194 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 August 2015

When we arrived we could not get in the owner had gone out there was no telephone number to ring so we had to go next door for it. After contacting the owner my husband had to wait outside on the doorstep in the rain for an hour.When we did get in well what can I say, stains on the bedding, shower could have done with a good clean with bleach or sumthing. Morning breakfast butter was left in the window with the sun on so you can imagine what it looked like, nothing to wipe your hands on at breakfast, as for the breakfast I just don't no how people can ruin it everything was overcooked, cheap bacon with no taste.Towels had seen better days in bathroom full of dust behind the beds don't think beds have been pulled out in a long time. Cant understand how it was full that weekend. Had a look at the one next door on the website and what a difference so if you can get in next door go there because we will next time !!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: no tips for any rooms
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Park View

Reviewed 16 August 2015 via mobile

NEGATIVE REVIEWS ARE FROM PARK VIEW HAXBY NOT GROSVENOR TERRACE THE ADDRESSES HAVE BEEN CONFUSED GROSVENOR TERRACE PARK VIEW IS BEAUTIFUL spectacularly clean building and perfectly clean room beautifully furnished with matching sheets and curtains every detail was perfection. the television worked wonderfully with freeview and the whole place had a great wifi connection. We were given complete freedom and keys to the hotel and room. breakfast was delicious and filling and there was so much to choose from and even a proper veggie option which I really appreciated! The owner Gaynor was so polite and friendly and chatty and did everything possible to make our stay easier and even let us leave our baggage after we checked out so we could have one last day without carrying our bags! I haven't a single complaint it was pricey but completely worth our money we got every penny's worth of hospitality and friendliness. Plan to return for a romantic break in winter

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2015

I booked this hotel at the beginning of April 2015 to celebrate our 10th anniversary, after what has been a very difficult year due to my partner's father suddenly dying. I booked tickets to the races and I wanted a nice hotel to go with it. The hotel advertised a great 4 poster bedroom and I booked this as a surprise and treat.

At the time of booking I noticed a review complaining about cancellation at short notice. The hotel blamed a family emergency. Given what had happened to us I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt knowing how difficult these situations can be. I had a nagging feeling and was still a little worried so called them on the 16th July to confirm my booking and specifically ask about payment and parking. I spoke to Gaynor who told me where to park, that all was ok with the booking and that nothing else was needed as they "had my credit card details anyway."

On the 22nd July, the same person (Gaynor ) called me to say they were cancelling the booking due to me not sending them a cheque for the deposit??? I booked this with Laterooms, confirmed with credit card and at no point on the booking page does it say that a cheque deposit is required. Lets be honest who sends cheques, or has a cheque book in today's digital age! As they said they already had my card details.

I was not aware that a deposit was needed. On enquiring where this is on their policy I was told by Gaynor that its in the cancellation policy. Why on earth would I read that ?? I WAS NOT GOING TO CANCEL. I had tickets for the Races. Why isn't it in the HEADLINE of their BOOKING policy ?? I stated I would pay it over the phone immediately, only to be told she had conveniently already let the room- no doubt at a premium..!!

Let me guess, they sell rooms and then cancel bookings nearer the time once they know there is a demand and they can hike the prices up to rip others off. Read the other reviews as this is not the first time they have pulled this stunt!

What is most galling about this is that I phoned the "Owner " on the 16th of July to confirm my booking. There was no mention of the deposit being outstanding. When I asked Gaynor why she had said nothing on the 16th July she denied speaking to me!

Very disappointed and disgusted with this Hotel, and the obvious greed and underhand tactics of the management . Book at your peril.

DO NOT GIVE THEM THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT ON ANYTHING - you will be let down and left high and dry.

They obviously need a good lesson in customer relations. Luckily for me I believe in Karma. Please look to other establishments in the area, do not waste your time with these people...

Laterooms were contacted but were unable to do anything regarding this matter, other to find me an alternative at a much higher price. The only positive is they assured me I would not be getting charged for the hotel's cancellation of my stay. I received confirmation of this in writing.

What should of been a well needed great weekend has been somewhat spoiled. This was not a cheap room I booked..!! I would not recommend the hotel or Laterooms.

And just to add, after the cancellation phone call, I was unable to contact both the Hotel and Gaynor!

Room Tip: Don't stay here !! Stop somewhere else..!!!!
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rob O
Reviewed 22 July 2015

I made a booking with this guesthouse almost 4 months in advance of my travel, booking 2 double rooms for a special 50th birthday celebration. We also booked races tickets, restaurants and bought nice new outfits.
Two days prior to arrival we received a voicemail from Gaynor the landlady, telling us that she had accepted new bookings and was cancelling our booking!!
Reading though reviews she clearly does this often and my guess is it is a busy weekend, everywhere is sold out and she get a better price.
I will consider taking this matter further as after spending a number of hours trying to resolve this through Late Rooms it is apparent that she has breached her terms.
She has totally devastated what was meant to be a special occasion and has left me a few hundred pounds out of pocket and frankly doesn't care a bit !!

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Paula Y
Reviewed 22 November 2014

Had a nice long weekend 14-17 November. This was our 3rd stay at Park View - not to be confused with the Park View on Axbey Road ! Lovely accommodation and food and very convenient for the city - only a 5 minute walk. Would definitely recommend it

Room Tip: We had the four poster on the front - slept well despite the railway line nearby
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends