“A Coast to Coast Walk - A.Wainwright's masterpiece”

Reviewed 25 July 2011

I have just returned from a thirteen day traverse of Wainwright's classic walk, my second attempt in thirteen years and I have to say that I enjoyed it even more than the last time. Then, I booked all of my overnight stops at B&B's along the way and felt somewhat restricted, although it was nice to be carrying a light rucksack. This time I carried all of my gear including camping equipment and stopped where I finished for the night, usually on campsites. The other difference was that this time I had company rather than walking alone. The weather was good until the 11th and 12th days when we had driving rain and fog across the North York Moors but this didn't spoil it for me. I loved every minute of the superb scenery, particularly the way it varied from district to district. We met some wonderful people along the route and stayed in some great campsites as well as a few B&B's when the weather turned bad. I have to say that I disagree entirely with the claim that the walk is 220 miles, I believe this is a distorted GPS figure, the straightline distance is around the 190 mile mark. Wainwright wouldn't make an error of that magnitude anyway. The walk (hiking isn't a word that's used very often in the UK) was voted the second best in the world in a recent poll, having now done it twice, it's the best in my book.

13  Thank TenerifeRambler
"danby wiske"
"once in a lifetime"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 18 June 2011

Would concur and update the rave review of Packhorse Coast to Coast. Prompt and extensive communications, excellent accommodations (hotels, B&Bs, guesthouse,, farms) without a single miss. Packhorse makes the Coast to Coast a breeze. Would also highly recommend Coast to Coast Help with Mike Wood et al, especially for US hikers. Enormously valuable in understanding how UK "normal" differs from US "normal" hiking, i.e. Brits hike with and regularly need and USE compass and maps, horizontal rain and fog is normal and part of the experience IF one knows that it is normal, that Brits often think trail markers unsightly and unneeded. Thus a US hiker needs to understand that the map is correct and if it calls for a turn HERE where there is not apparent trail it really means HERE. Coast to Coast instruction the first two days is well worth the cost in terms of confidence, understanding, and peace of mind for the following two weeks. Packhorse and Coast to Coast help make the two weeks a glorious experience from sea to sea.

16  Thank LWF501
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Dyllis Hatch from Goose Green farm B&B, Cheshire just completed the 192-mile coast to coast walk from St Bees in Cumbria, to Robin Hood's Bay in North Yorkshire. An amazing achievement. She's a super person to stay with.

4  Thank SallyR54
Reviewed 19 December 2009

First off, despite what Alfred Wainwright said, this is a HIKE and not a walk. He also said that, on the disused railway part of the trail in the North York Moors, you could make good time by walking five miles per hour. Just try walking five miles per hour. And, according to information on the web, the HIKE distance, based on GPS, is more like 220 miles, and not, as Wainwright claimed, 192 miles.
Well, despite all that, it was an incredible 13 days with absolutely beautiful scenery, delightful people, and unforgettable experiences.
We booked the guided Coast to Coast through Northwestwalks out of England. I'd not recommend Northwestwalks because the guide just wasn't real good: no great information on history, geology, geography, sites...and he led us astray on the trail several times. Thanks to an Aussie with a good map, we found our way back to the correct trail. My daughter and I will hike the West Highland Way in 2010, using Macs Adventure out of Scotland. They've been great to work with so far, and they have Coast to Coast tours (www.macsadventure.com).
The scenery is spectacular and owners of most of the accommodations went out of their way to make us comfortable and welcome. Look for places that provide drying rooms for your boots and hiking gear. The Keld Lodge in Keld in the Yorkshire Dales was our best stop: friendly people, great room, good ales, and upscale dining. Beyond that, prepare yourself for a lot of fish and chips at the local pubs.
Here are several sites with good information on the Coast to Coast: www.wainwright.org.uk www.thecoasttocoastwalk.info/ www.picasa.google.com (search for "coast to coast walk").
You'll really feel proud when you finally throw the Irish Sea pebbles you picked up near St Bees into the North Sea at Robin Hood's Bay. The experience of a lifetime.

20  Thank Dave M
See more reviews
Reviewed 13 June 2008

Four of us completed the Wainright Coast to Coast walk in June 2008. Our highest recommendations go to Coast to Coast Packhorse Limited, the accommodation booker and baggage transfer service out of Kirkby Stephen. The accommodations surpassed our expectations for charm, location, cleanliness and convenience. Baggage service was unfailing. We heard some horror stories from walkers who had booked through other agents. We were 100% satisfied with Packhorse. As a bonus, at the end of the trip they provided a framed certificate for completing the walk--nice touch!

15  Thank Carryon22