“The food is amazing!!!!!”

The Blues Kitchen - Brixton
Reserve with OpenTable
The Blues Kitchen - Brixton is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #797 of 24,833 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$10 - US$31
Description: Serving up hearty Texan BBQ and blues music, The Blues Kitchen brings a touch of southern soul to Brixton. With all American favourites, including the most epic burgers, lobsters and mac n' cheese on the menu The Blues Kitchen will have your stomach singing a more cheerful song.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Went for my friends birthday and got the 2 meat barbecue option pork and beef brisket was juicy and delicious! Defo try this place out! Also Larry was an amazing waiter, big up Larry!

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Me and my two mates visited the blues Kitchen mid March of 2018, had a lovely visit, I think we stayed there for 3 hours or so, lovely music, lovely food and the waitress we had was stunningly gorgeous and very thoughtful to us. Definitely recommend blues for a cheap night out with your buds.

Wicked place!!

Lovely food and amazing staff.
Cocktails also never fuss aping and are now apprently £5 on Wednesdays! Great hangout place either with friends or alone. Will definitely be back.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Popped in again to my favourite local hang out and my oh my!! Jesus the food was tasty and delicious. The new cocktails, erm I think the Earl Grey and Elderflower Fizz was actually peng. Definitely must try. Our servers were wonderfully polite with amazing knowledge and enthusiasm. Wings are still amazing. Everyone should go!

Reviewed 4 April 2018

I’ve been going here with friends for a few years now – excellent BBQ and (normally) excellent service. However last night we had an angry waiter who was the most unprofessional waiter I have ever experienced.

A bit of back-story – apologies, it’s needed for context.

We (four of us) had booked a table for half six – I had arrived about 5:45, a bit early and so I waited at the bar and had a beer whilst reading my book. We often meet at the bar at the front of the restaurant and when I arrived and saw no one there I assumed I was first. Little did I know that one of my friends had arrived there before me and had been seated by the woman that was working on the front desk.

Soon another friend arrived, greeted me and asked if everyone was here – I said no, no one had arrived yet. My friend looked a bit puzzled by that - he then spoke to the woman working on the front desk who informed us that indeed one of my friends had arrived before me and had been seated. I looked over and yes, he was indeed there. So we all went at sat down at the table, hungrily looking forward to our BBQ!

In conversation with my friend who had arrived earlier than I, I said “I didn’t know that you were here, I didn’t speak to the woman working on the front desk, otherwise I am sure she would have told me you were here”:

BAM!

This is where things went horribly wrong. Our waiter who – who happened to also be a lady – picked up on my use of English and said “what do you mean by ‘woman’!?”. I felt a bit puzzled. I then just repeated what I said, “Sorry, I was just saying to my friend that when I arrived I didn’t speak to the woman working over there *pointing* – otherwise I’m sure she would have said your friend had already arrived”

It quickly dawned on me that our waitress was picking me up on the fact that I was using the noun ‘woman’ to help me describe a situation to my friend and I suspected she assumed that because of using the word ‘woman’ that I was being bigoted or misogynistic in some way.

She got the wrong end of the stick, completely. However as I was trying to explain that - she then proceeded to say to me in a thoroughly passive agressive manner “Are we going to have a problem here?”

Wow.

I felt bemused and I just sat down. Who on earth speaks like that to a customer?

It’s not like I referred to the woman as ‘bird’ or ‘doris’ – I used the word ‘woman’. It’s a perfectly acceptable word to use when describing someone. If it had been a man on the front desk I would have used the term ‘man’.

I have been using nouns in the English language for many years now. 35 years to be precise. They help me make sense of the world and help people understand what I am talking about.

When I go to a restaurant I expect the waiter to dish out lovely BBQ not dish out lessons in their skewed view of what politically correct English should be like ….and then passive aggressively threaten me when she doesn’t like it?

We collectively thought - maybe she had a bad day and that didn't help her getting the wrong end of the stick…….

…..but actually no....You’re a waiter, do your job properly or don’t do it all.

3  Thank Ham S