“Pre O2 drinks”

Bull and Gate
Ranked #7,377 of 24,420 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$13 - US$34
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Description: A beautifully restored historic gin palace in the heart of Kentish Town, serving the very best craft drinks and fresh seasonal produce in a stunning pub & dining room. The upstairs cocktail bar - Boulogne Bar - hosts live music on Fridays & Saturdays and offers an exciting menu of both classic and modern cocktails.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Went in for a few drinks before the gig next door. I asked the barstaff which wine was vegetarian. The girl went to ask her manager whilst we waited. I didnt care which wine it was Im really not that fussy, but as I dont eat meat I dont want wine that has been filtered through geletine. The managers answer in seconds was 'none of them'. I dont beleieve this I think he just couldnt be bothered to find out.

katy_red778, Public Relations Manager at Bull and Gate, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2018

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, we welcome all feedback as it goes towards ensuring we can delivering the best possible service moving forward. Apologies too that your enquiry wasn't answered sufficiently - I have made a point of investigating all our wines regarding their geletine process and compatibility to a vegetarian diet and fully versing the stuff, in order that, should the question arise again, they are able to answer it.

Many thanks and we look forward to seeing you in the pub again soon.

Katy Horwood - events manager

Reviewed 26 March 2018

I picked this restaurant for an elderly friend's birthday dinner as its not too noisy and has a nice ambience. Being a Monday I knew it would be quiet so we would probably get decent service. That was so far from the truth!! Our French waitress thought she was doing us a favour by occasionally appearing at our table to take orders and serve the food. We were the ONLY table that was occupied and despite that we were given the wrong menus! She did not manage to smile once and when I told her it was my friend's birthday and requested a candle on the dessert she said she wasn't sure they could do that! In a restaurant with average service you don't even have to ask - all you do is announce that it is someone's birthday and the restaurant will do the rest! And being an ex hotelier I do have an idea of what I am saying. My vegetarian main course came with a potato that was inedible and looked like someone had taken yesterday's mash and turned it into a potato ice block which was neither crusty nor crunchy, had absolutely no flavour and felt more like the short end of a sledgehammer!

This sadly is not the end of our horror story... the date and rhubarb crumble was excruciatingly sweet and tasted of pure, undiluted sugar with not a trace of rhubarb tartness. We then got turfed out around 10:15 when I reckon the waitress felt she was too exhausted from serving one table of 7 and deserved an early night. I only hope she remembers to change the Sunday roast menus by tomorrow on all the other tables that did not get used today!!

katy_red778, Public Relations Manager at Bull and Gate, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2018

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review - we value all feedback, both positive and negative as it goes towards ensuring we can improve our service moving forward. I'm also grateful for your details, again it's vital we understand exactly where we are coming under par so this is really useful. I'm sorry to hear you had a disappointing time with us, and that you felt the service and food was under-whelming, I have spoken to both the waitress on shift, the manager and the kitchen team about your feedback in order that there is immediate improvement and not repeated.
If you'd like to discuss the issue further please don't hesitate to contact me on bullandgateevents@youngs.co.uk
Many thanks and I do hope that you'll come in again soon to give us another try.

Katy

Reviewed 19 March 2018

First came here for dinner last December - had a really good meal and ditto last week. The menu has a solid range of choice - last week the baked camenbert was really very very good, decent chicken liver parfait (although I suspect they don't make it themselves) and great salad. Very good bottle of Rioja as well. The only downside was the fact that the dining room was pretty much empty - people of Kentish Town - appreciate this place and go there more often!!!!!! The service is a bit ropey and they need to train some people up. Thumbs up otherwise.

Reviewed 12 March 2018

Have eaten in the pub once before, had a roast dinner and it was excellent so we was really looking forward to the meal. We had an early dinner, 6.30pm. We were only people in the dining room, a few more arrived as we were leaving. We had fish pie and ox cheek for mains. Under the mashed potatoe the fish pie had the consistency of a soup. Ox cheek was dry and tasteless. Friendly staff but terrible food.

katy_red778, Public Relations Manager at Bull and Gate, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2018

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review - we welcome all feedback, both positive and negative, as it goes to ensuring we deliver the best possible service moving forward. I'm very disappointed to hear you felt the food was so under par on Sunday. We pride ourselves on our food so take your comments very seriously. Thank you also for being specific - I have passed this on to both the head chef and manager to look at these dishes moving forward.

I do hope this experience hadn't put you off visiting us again in the future.

Many thanks

Katy Horwood - events manager

Reviewed 8 March 2018 via mobile

What can I say?.... delicious roasts, freshly cooked and fully loaded! Beautiful building and great staff, and to top it off, a ‘kids table’ with face painting and craft to keep the little ones entertained while we polished off some fantastic dessert! Highly recommend for all the family!

1  Thank ehorwood