“Beautiful Lunch in Beautiful Surroundings”
Review of The Ivy

The Ivy
Reserve with OpenTable
The Ivy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #752 of 25,298 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$39 - US$65
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Description: The Ivy restaurant has been a firm fixture on London’s dining and social scene since its foundation in 1917. The Covent Garden restaurant and private room upstairs are the epitome of glamour – now more than ever after a triumphant redesign in 2015 by the acclaimed Martin Brudnizki Design Studio. With its shimmering central dining bar, signature harlequin stained-glass windows, oak panelling and striking contemporary art collection, the longevity of this most British restaurant is ensured. Renowned for its food, Executive Chef Gary Lee creates balanced seasonal lunch and dinner menus that place the Ivy classics alongside a contemporary global palette, incorporating more Asian dishes, salads and vegetables, and a “sea and shells” section. Meanwhile, Director Fernando Peire and his experienced team deliver the unfaltering service for which The Ivy has become celebrated for worldwide, over the years. The Ivy welcomes customers without reservations at the central dining bar, where the A La Carte and Table d'hôte menus are both served. In this, its centenary year, there will be a host of special events lined up to celebrate both the past and future of this unique restaurant.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Walking about being tourists, we were keen to grab some lunch and immediately this place caught my wife's attention so we decided to go in and see if we could grab a table on the hoof having not booked anything. The welcome was very nice and we were shown downstairs to be seated in a lovely dining room which was already very busy. The staff and service could not have been better and the menu so very appetising. The food we had was amazing and the whole experience thoroughly enjoyable. Would highly recommend going here with the food and service being impeccable and the atmosphere very relaxed but classy. Superb !!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,515)

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

We were going to see a show, and the concierge recommended it, because it was very close to the theater. The restaurant ambience is very traditional English, but the menu has more than traditional English food. I had the veal escalope, and it was good.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Visited The Ivy recently before seeing a play nearby. Settled on the early evening set menu, and enjoyed the selection on offer. Hot smoked trout salad starter was lovely, as was bream main and creme brulee dessert. Nice restaurant for a special occasion.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

It was really nice!

Went with family and grandparents - the food was delicious. Was surprised that my teenage daughter and two boys found something to eat on the menu that they would actually eat! I was actually paranoid thinking what are the kids going to eat but there is something for everyone. It was expensive - for 7 of us we racked up a 320 bill. Good to go in between shows if you are in London - e.g. Seeing Mousetrap or Harry Potter The Cursed Child as only around the corner like under 5 mins walk. The decor was very beautiful. The service we received was fantastic. The bottle of drink we ordered was beautiful. Was a nice afternoon out dining here. Would I go again? Yes without hesitation for a special treat!

Reviewed 3 April 2018

We had a table for an early supper between the two parts of the local performance of the Harry Potter play.
I felt terribly ill an hour or so after the meal, and it ruined my evening, I ordered the fried shrimp followed by calves liver and shared a bottle of wine with my wife.
I was violently ill on the way home and spent the following day recuperating in bed.
I reported the incident to the restaurant, once I was back on my feet so that they could investigate if fellow diners had similar experiences with said food.
I did receive a call from an agency linked to the Ivy asking about my experience and was told the restaurant would be in touch with me regarding what I had been through.
That was a few weeks ago...
Not impressed
Special night ruined, Nuff said.

5  Thank Dan W