“Excellent Lamb Filet Kebab”
Review of Hafez Restaurant

Hafez Restaurant
Ranked #802 of 24,825 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$19 - US$32
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Persian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Notting Hill
Reviewed 28 April 2018

Four of us (Three Iranian and one British) had lunch with the house claret and it was a very enjoyable experience. The owners brother looked after us very well and told us about the history of the restaurant and his travel experiences. He did his best to ensure we enjoyed our visit and it was like we were members of his family. We had boneless chicken kebab, kubideh lamb kebab and filet lamb kebab with mast-o mousir as a refreshing side dish. All were first class with excellent rice. We were asked how we would like our kebabs cooked which is unusual in a Persian restaurant. The service was quick and attentive and we were offered mint tea which was very refreshing. We felt that they all really made an effort to look after us and we shall certainly return.

1  Thank PardonerEC

Reviewed 23 April 2018

This place is family run, with the owner looking over things most days, the staff are all very diligent and polite in their service, the food is very good quality. They have recently opened up the space at the back to accommodate a few more diners. Mostly always busy, a testament to how good this place really is. The prices are very reasonable compared to a lot of the other Persian restaurants around town.

2  Thank LondonFairman
Farshid Z, Owner at Hafez Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2018

Dear LondonFairman,

Your regular custom and 5 star review is very much appreciated. I am very pleased to see comments from someone who knows the restaurant and our reputation for good food and service. We hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 22 April 2018 via mobile

Disappointing. Our hotel was nearby, and the reviews looked promising, but it was just not good at all. We ordered hummus appetizer, lamb kebabs with salad, and the chicken khoresht, supposedly a signature dish. We picked a rioja from the modest but reasonable wine list, and asked for glasses of water. The hummus came with flat bread, and both were very good which is why I am giving two stars instead of one. The lamb kebabs were suspiciously symmetrical shaped which often means a frozen packaged product, which it resembled. And the salad had no dressing. When this was pointed out to the server, he grabbed the oil and vinegar bottles from another table. Not expected in this type of restaurant. The chicken khoresht was several small pieces of thigh meat in a sweetish, not particularly good sauce. Finally, the wine never arrived but a bottle of still water did, so that had to do. Do I need to point out the service was lacking?

The only evidence of saffron, or anything else in the saffron rice was a streak of yellow on top of it. Which means that there really wasn't any saffron in most of it. Just bland rice.

The bill arrived and only then did we realize that an order of hummus means you also have to pay extra for the bread, and asking for a glass of water means you have to buy a bottle of still water. This place just isn't worth visiting, extremely disappointing.

3  Thank thomasd33665
Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

Amazing person food and fantastic staff ! Celebrated a birthday lunch here and it was amazing ... food was cooked to perfection, staff friendly, ambience was beautiful and innovative!
A definite visit

2  Thank AtkinSoares

Dear AtkinSoares,

Thank you for your 5 star recommendation-much appreciated.Great to see how much you enjoyed your visit. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

I visited this place a few nights ago because an Iranian friend who I eat out with recommended it. My starter was amazing - the smoked aubergine, tomato & egg combo. Unfortunately my lamb chop kebab was completely tasteless because it had not been seasoned at all. 3 of the 5 tiny chops were over cooked & completely dry. I opted for salad rather than rice because you have to choose between the 2. Having omitted cucumber at my request I got a pile of very unimaginative lettuce leaves & a few slices of tomato. When I asked for some chilli sauce to moisten things up I was given a squeezy bottle of Asian sauce & some Heinz mayonnaise which I found very odd! Give the manager / front of house guy his due he did give me a lovely okra sauce on the house to moisten my pretty dry kebab a bit, plus he brought me some chopped green chilli. So I was really impressed with the service & eventually my meal but unfortunately the first attempt was pretty tasteless. I will probably go back & make sure that I am going to get something at least seasoned up front by telling them. Should I have to do that though?!

Farshid Z, Owner at Hafez Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

Dear Catherine L,

I was pleased to see that you valued our service but very disappointed to hear that your lamb chop kabab was not up to our usual high standard and I apologise for this. It is unusual, which I'm sure your Persian friend will verify. Most of our business is still by word of mouth and we want our customers to really enjoy their food.It is our policy to replace any item if there is a problem as soon as it is brought to our attention hence I have already investigated and discussed the outcome with the staff involved.I hope you will visit again and if so please contact me via the restaurant email and I will ensure that your next experience will be a good one.