“Not what i imagined”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Cross street: Long Acre
Transit: Leicester Square, Charing Cross, Covent garden, Picadilly Circus
Description: For global travellers with a cultured palate and a love of variety, Asia de Cuba at St Martins Lane is a destination restaurant with a whimsical, enchanting interior design and a must-taste fusion philosophy. Cuban-born executive concept chef Luis Pous enhances Jeffrey Chodorow’s original culinary vision with experimental combinations and a new twist on old favourites. Inspired by the cultural synthesis of old Havana’s Chinatown, Pous interprets Asian-influenced Cuban fare for a modern crowd and a discerning palate. Reflecting the same authentic preparations, tropical accents and sharing-style presentation, Asia de Cuba is a chic dining sanctuary. For a taste of the tropics and loved by guests and food critics alike, the menu is full of fresh ingredients, handcrafted dishes, as well as our signature ceviche's. Teamed with our eye-catching interiors, Asia de Cuba makes for an unforgettable dining experience with surprising cultural flavours.
Reviewed 15 May 2018 via mobile

Visited the Asia de Cuba in Abu Dhabi and therefore had high expectations for the London version. Food and service was ok for a London restaurant, nothing extraordinary. Hope they can invest more behind this restaurant as they have with the Abu Dhabi one.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,364)

Reviewed 12 May 2018

This time the deal was £30 for a 3 course meal plus a mini mojito. Once again the restaurant was practically empty at 1.15 on a Friday lunch time. As we left the restaurant was empty. The cocktail was delicious and refreshing. My husband and I love calamari but we have never had it as a starter served with salad. This dish was our highlight as the salad was extremely tasty and complemented the calamari. We both felt it was the best calamari dish we have ever eaten. Other reviewers have complained about the service but we had excellent, quick, service. Our waitress was very helpful. The food arrived in very good time. We made the mistake of ordering 2 side dishes as we were so full that we couldn't manage a dessert but that didn't matter as a 2 course meal was only £25 instead of £30. Also I don't like coconut and almost all the desserts seemed to include coconut. The wine list had some reasonably priced wines too. My only slight niggle is 15% service charge. Yes the service was good but I prefer to decide on what gratuity I leave or even better I am a fan of restaurants that charge more but include the service charge so you know up front how much you are committing yourself to (as Le Gavroche has done). This niggle was not enough to knock off a star and I would happily come here again. We did have some difficulty finding the restaurant as the hotel is not well marked. Fortunately we ended up in al alley where we found several chefs with Asia de Cuba on their whites so, not surprisingly, they were able to point us in the right direction.

MorgansLondon, Supervisor at Asia de Cuba, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2018

Dear Jill B,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a complimentary review. I was pleased to learn you loved everything about both your meal and the service. We thrive to provide a great gastronomic experience to all our guest. We like to believe our restaurant is a secret gem in Centre London. I will have great pleasure in passing on your feedback to my colleagues. We all look forward to welcoming you back very soon. For any other queries please don’t hesitate in contact me at carlos.deoliveira@sbe.com

Carlos

Reviewed 9 May 2018

Came here with 8 friends for my wife's birthday. The food was good but was certainly not worth the price tag. We had to keep asking the waiter for a drink which got boring after a while. The cocktails were good but at £15 a go they really were not worth it. When the mains came myself and another one of our group had to wait for ages for ours to be served and when they were the other guests had pretty much finished. Not what you expect from a 'top London restaurant'. My wife complained when we got the bill and they took off the 2 mains we had to wait for and the extortionate service charge. Don't think I'll be coming again.

Reviewed 8 May 2018

This restaurant is located in the St Martin’s Lane Boutique Hotel.

We booked on recommendation & selected the 3 course menu with a glass of Proseco. It didn’t disappoint the food was plentiful & of good quality as also was the service received.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
MorgansLondon, Supervisor at Asia de Cuba, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2018

Dear Helen W,

Thank you for your lovely review. At Asia de Cuba we try to accommodate all price ranges starting at £25 for a 2-course meal. After all who says that high-end cuisine has to come at a great cost? We are really looking forward to seeing you return in the future. For any other queries, please do not hesitate to contact me on carlos.deoliveira@sbe.com

Carlos

Reviewed 8 May 2018

A simple fusion of Asian and Latin American dishes that you and your party will enjoy. This is my second time here and definitely will not be my last. The staff are attentive. If they offer a suggestion on the menu try it. They are always on point. The decor and ambience work well. And it is centrally located. A great place before the theatre.

Dear PaulCharlesLondon,

Thank you for your five stars review. We always appreciate feedback especially from our returning guests. We are delighted by the way you described Asia de Cuba ‘Havana in London’. Is good to know that somehow we can transport our guests to Cuba throughout our food, a unique ambience and Latin rhythms that are always on play, even if only for a meal.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Asia the Cuba very soon. For any other queries please don’t hesitate in contact me at carlos.deoliveira@sbe.com