“Great apartments - good value”

Marlin Apartments - Empire Square
Ranked #174 of 908 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Well placed, clean and very comfortable. Recommended

• Stayed: January 2012
Lucian V, Manager at Marlin Apartments - Empire Square, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

Dear Dmens,

I appreciate the time you took to post you feedback. It was encouraging to read your comments and I hope I get to welcome you back soon.

Building manager

Reviewed 23 January 2012

Stayed here for one night and paid for late checkout and a car space. We were telephoned and woken up and told to check out despite paying for a late checkout. Understandably mistakes do happen and the lady apologised. HOWEVER the complaint was handled in a very poor manner. We were argued with at the front desk by the duty manager upon checkout. He was very rude and did not care that we were unhappy with being woken up. The apartment was also not very clean. After 3 written complaints our late checkout fee was finally refunded, which I had to ask for. Don't bother staying here, our friends stayed at the Novotel nearby which gave them a free late checkout at 5pm and great service, they even gave them a free cot! The Marlin staff have no clue about customer service and repeat custom.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lovtravelbug

Dear lovtravelbug,

Thank you for your feedback and please accept my apology if you were not treated in an acceptable manner and we have disappointed you by our level of customer service. We do value your business and I am addressing the late check-out issue personally by implementing a few changes with my team. Please let me know if you are returning to London in the near future because I would like the opportunity to provide you the service that we are known for and hopefully you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience.

Building manager

Reviewed 15 January 2012

On checking into the apartment i was then informed that £200 would be frozen in my account! i was incredible shocked about this because nothing was clearly stated on their terms and conditions. I was then informed quite rudely that it was stated very clearly on my reservation form. I pulled out my reservation form and looked at their terms and conditions which stated ' Please note that Marlin Apartments MAY request a pre-authorisation of your credit or debit card at a time of check in. ' May does not mean compolsury and also no mention of £200 pounds. This resulted in them telling me that if i did not have the fund i could not stay at the apartment. I was so upset by what was happening after numerous attempts to speak to someone who could help me with this situation (as the receptionist acted as if they couldnt give a toss). I ended up ringing the Marlin apartments which then agreed to £100 pre-authorisation which i HAD to agree to else i would lose my money on the apartment, parking and petrol. This had now ruined my trip as i was not able to do any of the activities i had planned for my weekend as i had zero money. My weekend was a very traumatic, upsetting miserable one.

To top it all off the pots and pans in my room were vile. There was a white, smelly gunky substance on one of the pans and on the other mould! When the bathroom light was switched on it made the most horrendous sound. The bedside lamps which were horrible didn't even work. The bed came with a thin horrible duvet and the bed (which was two singles pushed together) was horrible to sleep on. I have never experience such bad service EVER! This has been an experience that has not only put me off staying at Marlin Apartments but any apartments or hotels for a very long time. I shall not be going for weekends away unless i can find a friends couch to kip on as this would be a million times better than my stay at the Marlin Apartments.

Room Tip: Do not choose these apartments
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AlinaNokomisc
Lucian V, Manager at Marlin Apartments - Empire Square, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2012

Dear Alina,

My name is Lucian Voicu and I am the building manager of Marlin Apartments Empire Square. Thank you for providing us with feedback pertaining to your recent stay at our hotel. I am sorry to read that your stay with us was not to your satisfaction and please accept our apologies for the problems you encountered.

I trust you will accept that the issues you experienced are certainly not reflective of our standard of service and be assured that corrective actions have been taken with both the reception and our housekeeping department.

Regarding the pre-authorisation process, please understand that the reception is just following company procedures and policies. The team is instructed to complete the process for all our guests. I understand that for some this may be an inconvenience, but the company has this in place to assure our apartments are and will remain up to standard.

Thank you again for your review and I hope I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Marlin Apartments in the near future.

Building Manager

Reviewed 5 January 2012

I used these apartments twice in Dec 11 for overnight business stays in London. Whilst the check-in process is a bit amateur the apartments themselves were a revelation. Comfortable clean beds, great living room & kitchen - one even had a balcony.

I was initially nervous given that the price (circa £100 per night) was around 60% of that for a similarly located budget hotel, but all my expectations were exceeded. A really great alternative to a conventional hotel where you can cook yourself something properly if you wish and relax in an armchair in front of the TV rather than the dreaded "table for one" alternative.

Room Tip: Choose a proper 1 bed flat rather than a studio to get a bigger bedroom.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 December 2011

I've stayed here before, and this stay was as usual good. Helpful staff at reception. Clean, well equipped apartment, and well located.
A superior alternative to a traditional hotel for a business trip!
Will returm I'm sure...

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Dear travellingchef,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback about your stay with us. I am Lucian, building manager of Marlin Apartment Empire Square. Thank you for choosing our hotel whist staying in London. We appreciate the feedback and I am pleased that your experience was positive. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back and please let me know if I may be of any assistance.