“Another wonderful meal”
Review of Blue Nile Cafe

Blue Nile Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Nile Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #144 of 24,651 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$11 - US$20
Cuisines: Ethiopian, Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Blue Nile is a family run Eritrean - Italian cafe and restaurant, harking back to Eritrea's colonial history. Our menu has a mix of Italian and Eritrean classics, from Italian coffees, pasta and ice-creams to Eritrean 'kemem' tea (tea infused with cloves, cinnamon, star anise and ginger), warm 'ful', meat stews infused with cardamom and cinnamon and cooked in 'tesmi', a warm and comforting spiced butter and our delicious home made sweet cardamom flavoured bread called 'himbasha'. A lot of our recipes are gluten - free and we have a wide range of vegetarian dishes.
Reviewed 10 May 2017

I've been really remiss in not leaving a review before. This is such a lovely place and we return time and time again--wonderful food, a fantastic owner who remembers that I prefer couscous to injera, and nice wines to boot! Best spot in Woolwich by far, and really makes the area.

Reviewed 6 May 2017

As a local girl, I'd been waiting to get an opportunity to eat here for quite some time. It didn't disappoint. The inside of the restaurant is shabby chic and quite small (we went on a Saturday evening and made sure we booked). The service was friendly; given we'd never been before we were given instructions of how to eat with the injera. I actually really loved the slightly sour, tangy taste of the injera. The three of us had the set meat menu and it was delicious. I can only assume that others who said the food lacked flavour had picked the wrong dishes. We also had a bottle of prosecco, and the whole meal came to £51 for three people- an absolute bargain. I'd definitely return.

1  Thank Amy B
Reviewed 23 April 2017

I went few times for dinner with my partner and friends, the food is always lovely and the lady who owns it is lovely and has amazing manners.
Their version of Tiramisu is to die for!

Reviewed 16 April 2017 via mobile

I noted a disappointed reviewer whose expectations had been set too high by TripAdvisor reviews. So it's important to state that this is a small unpretentious place.

However, I absolutely loved the food. We had a set meal but one meat and four veg dishes. They were all excellent. The spiced tea was lovely too.

I learned 'how are you?' and 'thank you'. Now I have to look them up so I can remember them. Our host was most gracious.

Reviewed 13 April 2017

When parking was slightly dubious at the look of the place from the outside but pleasently surprised when we stepped in, iy has a shabby chic feel to it.
Very small venue (can't of had more than 10-15 tables). We ordered wine which the owner left unopened on our table, we waited and she then told us she was not good at opening bottles as last time the cork hit someone (haha) and the young server wasn't old enough to do it, was slightly surprised at this. The menu isn't massive and we opted for the sharing taster set menus with more or less small versions of all the larger meat /veg dishes which came with salad & an injera each (which I'm not sure how its meant to be served but came cold which made the texture see rubbery) . The tastes of some of the dishes were surprisingly bland while others packed a slight punch. We were surprised that were weren't told what was what (baring in mind we had 10 different dishes in front of us) and guessed in the end. The food was all warm and not hot and considering its all more than likely reheated which wasn't great. All in all we enjoyed the sharing experience and experiencing new foods (which was very reasonably priced) but came away hungry so popped into urban ice next door (a desert place) to get some waffles etc.