“Dinosaurs”

Crystal Palace Park
Ranked #234 of 1,839 things to do in London
Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

The park has Victorian ceramic dinosaurs around the lake which are interesting as they show what was known about dinosaurs at the time. There are several terraces with lawns to sit on and play on. Carparking available or get a bus to Crystal Palace.

1  Thank Sam3314
in 7 reviews
"highest point"
"life size"

Reviewed 27 August 2017

We wanted to go to a local park for the day, so we decided on Crystal Palace Park. I haven't been here for ages so it made a nice change. We wanted to go to the dinosaur park as there is a lake. There are several Monkey Puzzle tree's which fit quite well with the theme. The signage is not excellent, but we found the dinosaurs. The lake was a bit whiffy so spoiled the visit. Also the cafe was shut and if it wasn't for the few vans around we would have no where to buy a drink or ice cream. We enjoyed the visit, and might go back again sometime.

1  Thank Wig_Traveller
Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

We visited with a 7 year old. The cafe is closed and although the sign stated it was due for demolition in March, it stands empty and boarded up so no new cafe in the foreseeable future.
There is a van selling drinks and food next to the picnic area. The fenced off picnic area is reasonably large but there are only two bench tables in it. These were both occupied so we had to go in search of a bench elsewhere.
The farm is free but contained one pig, a few goats and sheep and assorted geese and birds.

Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

We were in the area for a family event and I took the opportunity to take the grandchildren to see the dinosaurs. This was a first time for me too.
We entered the park from the small entrance by the railway bridge on Thicket Road and saw the first examples almost immediately, whereas I had expected a bit of a walk. We wondered around for a while and I thought the 9 year olds were totally underwhelmed. Judging by their excited descriptions to their mother later I had misjudged.
After the dinosaurs we went on a paddleboat on the lake. Rental is for half an hour which was about right in the blowy conditions. We started out with the children in control of the boat while I gave "helpful" directions as needed but as the wind picked up and all the boats drifted to one side of the lake I needed to swap places and get us out of there. All children had to wear life jackets, which was good particularly as my grandson thinks that he can swim and overconfidence is a dangerous thing. I was not offered a life jacket and I do not know whether adult ones are available on request.
The cafè in the park is closed due to disturbed asbestos.
The public toilets, an essential with children, seemed clean but there was no soap in the Gents.