“Family dinosaur visit”

Crystal Palace Park
Ranked #233 of 1,842 things to do in London
Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

We were in the area for a family event and I took the opportunity to take the grandchildren to see the dinosaurs. This was a first time for me too.
We entered the park from the small entrance by the railway bridge on Thicket Road and saw the first examples almost immediately, whereas I had expected a bit of a walk. We wondered around for a while and I thought the 9 year olds were totally underwhelmed. Judging by their excited descriptions to their mother later I had misjudged.
After the dinosaurs we went on a paddleboat on the lake. Rental is for half an hour which was about right in the blowy conditions. We started out with the children in control of the boat while I gave "helpful" directions as needed but as the wind picked up and all the boats drifted to one side of the lake I needed to swap places and get us out of there. All children had to wear life jackets, which was good particularly as my grandson thinks that he can swim and overconfidence is a dangerous thing. I was not offered a life jacket and I do not know whether adult ones are available on request.
The cafè in the park is closed due to disturbed asbestos.
The public toilets, an essential with children, seemed clean but there was no soap in the Gents.

All reviews
in 7 reviews
"highest point"
"life size"

Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

We visited on a sunny day and there were lots of families out and about having fun. We were very disappointed and surprised that the cafe was closed as it was the school holidays and there would have been plenty of business.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

A very pleasant park to visit on a good weather day. The dinosaurs are interesting though rather underwhelming. Plenty of lovely strolling paths and a well looked after children's playground.

Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

Wonderful, historical place to visit.
My parents introduced me to Crystal Palace Park over 30 years ago and it captivated me then ... Now my very own daughter can enjoy some of the adventures and wonders of this amazing park.
Steeped in history and it's grandeur is as relevant today as it was during its regal days.

1  Thank BillyJoLondon
See more reviews
Reviewed 7 August 2017

I had heard there were dinosaurs in Crystal Palace Park. Surely not? I parked near the huge sports centre's Jubilee Stand and walked the short way towards the lake,the first part of which was for boating. I saw many magnificent Canadian geese which I was not allowed to feed!
Going through the ancient trees and fronds I. followed the green iron fence and suddenly there was a huge dinosaur, standing still and larger-than-life size staring at me over the lake which was glittering in the early evening sun.I followed the path around the lake and at every twist and turn there was another massive beast. All of their names were placed upon information boards. Children near me were terrified. They could not believe their eyes. They thought these monsters made of concrete that looked as though they would eat them would actually do so.
This wonderful site of 30 or more magnificent inanimate animals-some of which had been recently restored-loomed out of the water or hid behind trees. Apparently they were made in 1854 for the Great Exhibition, when Crystal Palace burned to the ground. At the time they were the first representations of dinosaurs in the whole world. We know now that they are not quite accurate. But for children they provide an exciting day out, because a real children's playground is not too far away and there are enough ice cream purveyors to satisfy every taste.
I would recommend going around 4 o'clock on Saturday, when other people are starting to go home.

Currently the dinosaurs are being renovated and there is an appeal fund to do so.

There are other attractions in the park, which is very large, but the one that I love the best is the Jurassic experience, which will set young tongues wagging excitedly.