“Turning Japanese, I really think so”
Review of Wabi - CLOSED

Wabi
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Holborn
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Restaurant is in basement below Club Quarters where we stayed so tried it for its convenience.virgins at Japanese but food and flavours fantastic. Service also good and helpful at choosing. Opened up new horizons for us.

1  Thank Ian C

Reviewed 16 April 2013

I didn't know this place existed but a friend had been treated here so suggested we had dinner. It's a basement restaurant, very nicely done out and über-cool. The menu is extensive and, frank,y, hard to know what a lot of the dishes were so we put ourselves in the hands of the waiter. We had a fantastic range from tea smoked tuna sashimi with - and it's the only way to describe it - bubbles, and even they had a flavour. We also had a second fish dish with a 'tomato sheet', gin delicious. Each dish was beautifully presented and was a treat for the taste buds. We could have gone on ordering more but frankly it would ha been greed! A real treat, very highy recommended and I would go back sooner rather than later. I gather the chef is ex-Nobu.

1  Thank oldrectorycottage
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I was fortunate to experience Wabi in London in april 2013. I have never tasted better food, although my experience of japanese food is limited. The staff was discrete, personal and guided us through the menu. In addition, I was very well cared for being gluten intolerant. I strongly recommend this restaurant for anyone longing for an excellent food! This restaurant is discrete and calm and maybe not suited for families with children with too much energy surplus.

1  Thank ChrisBendz
Reviewed 10 April 2013

My friend won two free glasses of champagne to drink at wabi out of the blue (she was the thousandth twitter follower- she didn't enter any competition).
When we arrived they had no idea we were coming. In typical snooty fashion they asked if we booked even though the place was empty! The restaurant manager was a stereotypically arrogant man. In the end we had to show them the email confirming when we were coming!

We also decided to eat there and wish we hadn't. The food was so-so, service non-existant (even though we were the only ones in there) and then they cheekily add 12.5% service charge.

All in all, an achingly "hip" restaurant with trendy elevator music, ambient lighting, non-interested staff and tiny portions of over-priced food. I give this place 10 months before it shuts down.

2  Thank Riobaj
Reviewed 4 April 2013

went here on a Friday night not full expensive interesting fare had mind blowing wasabi foam on a hot fish dish really good tiny cones of chopped fish great lobster rolls so whats wrong tiny portions and no athmoshere service adequate