“Great Japanese food”

Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Holborn
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I was fortunate to experience Wabi in London in april 2013. I have never tasted better food, although my experience of japanese food is limited. The staff was discrete, personal and guided us through the menu. In addition, I was very well cared for being gluten intolerant. I strongly recommend this restaurant for anyone longing for an excellent food! This restaurant is discrete and calm and maybe not suited for families with children with too much energy surplus.

Date of visit: April 2013
1  Thank ChrisBendz

Reviewed 10 April 2013

My friend won two free glasses of champagne to drink at wabi out of the blue (she was the thousandth twitter follower- she didn't enter any competition).
When we arrived they had no idea we were coming. In typical snooty fashion they asked if we booked even though the place was empty! The restaurant manager was a stereotypically arrogant man. In the end we had to show them the email confirming when we were coming!

We also decided to eat there and wish we hadn't. The food was so-so, service non-existant (even though we were the only ones in there) and then they cheekily add 12.5% service charge.

All in all, an achingly "hip" restaurant with trendy elevator music, ambient lighting, non-interested staff and tiny portions of over-priced food. I give this place 10 months before it shuts down.

Date of visit: April 2013
2  Thank Rupinder B
Reviewed 4 April 2013

went here on a Friday night not full expensive interesting fare had mind blowing wasabi foam on a hot fish dish really good tiny cones of chopped fish great lobster rolls so whats wrong tiny portions and no athmoshere service adequate

Reviewed 1 April 2013

We made use of a £100 voucher to enjoy a dinner for two recently at Wabi.

We ordered:
Cooked salmon appetizer
Beef ponzu appetizer
Nigiri sushi - 2 unagi, 2 anago, 2 saba
Nasuden gaku (2)
Lamb chops
Chilean sea bass
Sapporo (2)

The food was hit-or-miss. Nigiri sushi was excellent (especially the two varieties of eel), as was the Chilean sea bass. The lamb chops were meagre if I am generous with my choice of words. The appetizers were sub-par. The nasuden gaku was the highlight - as excellent as any I've tasted in Tokyo. So good, in fact, that we ordered a second.

The bill was £125 for this set. For what is essentially an izakaya, albeit a good one, this is far too expensive. At £60, it may have been fair value to expensive, at £125 it is outrageous.

The ambience and decor are budget izakaya. Reminds me of numerous similar restaurants in Hong Kong. Lacks the classy aesthetic of Tokyo izakayas. The ambience is clearly at odds with the pricing.

In sum: I would not go there again if I had to pay the entire bill amount. For £25, clearly it is good value. I do not see how Wabi stays in business without either adjusting its pricing, or attracting an undiscerning clientele.

1  Thank bidoogiri
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We were given table at the back of the restaurant where we could see the kitchens in full flow - this included some chef to chef fractious moments.....from the beginning the service was slow - our drinks order took too long.... we then began to order for the kids - 7,10 and 14 - there was no flexibility - the suggestions made by the staff for the kids were poor at best. When we came to order we were told to order mutliple dishes because they were small and the the idea was to share - this turned out to be too much food - the best thing on the menu was the line caught sea bass which came a very long time after everythiing else- the sashmi was average ---- Service was so slow we were given 3 free glasses of champagne - only one of our party was drinking champagne, so this seemed a hollow offer - in the end the bill was over £350 - -this did not match the service, food or experience..... not a restuarant to recommend....