See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 27 July 2013

DO NOT STAY HERE.

Trust me, find the extra few quid and go somewhere, anywhere else.

The staff are unhelpful to the point of complete uselessness. They begrudge you anything, ANYTHING you ask them for. The male staff were continually sleazy and suggestive to my female companions. The place is filthy, beds are never changed, there was a half eaten sandwich lodged in the stair bannister for most of the time I was there (I wasn't touching it!). The basement 'kitchen' is a biohazard with dank matresses stacked in the corner. The place is inhabbited with numerous strange semi-staff who constantly stunk the place out smoking weed .

I can go on... One of the showers had no wall bracket to hold it in place, in two of the rooms the live pug sockets hung off the walls by their wires, the WiFi is non existant... I don't even want to start on the wretched bar/reception downstairs... The high/low point to this vile den being the excrement encrusted sellotape holding one of the toilet seats together....

You might say 'Well, for fourteen pounds a night what do you expect?'

I expect something better than this abhorrent hell hole.

DO NOT STAY HERE

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Mike A
Reviewed 19 July 2013

After reading the reviews for this hostel i figured people were exaggerating a tad so I took my chances. I ended up checking out early because i could not cope. People were not kidding when they described it as a homeless shelter, that's exactly what it is (but your paying for it..). It was extremely unclean and i don't mean some smells and dust i mean thick mold everywhere and the most awful stench. They don't actually change the sheets when people check out, they just fold the duvet and place it on the end of the bed so it looked like its been cleaned. I ended up stripping my bed and sleeping on my towel with no blankets cause there were stains all over the ones they provided. I had asked for new sheets a number of times and the staff always said they would bring them but never did. Thats another thing, the staff were absolutely horrific, this poor girl I had shared a room with had a breakdown and started screaming at the woman working cause she was so terrible. They made me switch rooms after two nights which was the icing on the cake for me since the room I was moved in to was awful. Lots of weirdo's staying in this hostel (or living in it i should say) i think many of which are actually homeless and are scrapping by enough to pay for the hostel. I think most guys could deal with staying here but for girls (especially young girls in your 20's) for your own safety don't stay here, i was really concerned for some of the girls staying in the hostel myself included which is why i left early. Please take all these reviews into consideration, no one is exaggerating in the slightest.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Dayna J
Reviewed 15 July 2013

It was a terrific experience. The rooms were ridiculous dirty (even the counter at the reception was sticky), the service disgusting, it's not allowed to pay with credit card (nor debit), etc, etc. I wouldn't recommend to stay here even to my enemies.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank maikelzgza
Reviewed 5 July 2013

This hostel should be shut down, and from what I can gather it has been recently, but somehow manages to re open. I have felt safer sleeping in the city centre in South Africa. I spoke to other residents who s friends had checked out early due to finding used syringes on the floor in the bathrooms. The 'kitchen' is a joke, filled with stained mattresses, I would not let a dog eat down there, particularly when there are strange people sleeping in there. We were constantly hassled for our beds by some large intimidating member of staff. Strange goings on from the basement till 3.30 in the morning,I barely felt safe enough to sleep. THERE IS NO FIRE ESCAPE for the top floor, plus the electric kept tripping off so there is obviously a problem with it, it is a living nightmare.The pub is definitely a front for something far more sinister. Seriously this is a genuine review, I would be concerned for anybody's safety and well being who stays in this place.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank steve f
Reviewed 4 July 2013 via mobile

I was doing London on a budget, so the tiny rooms were fine, I even didn't mind that we were given damp blankets. Getting ripped off £16 on arrival which was paid as a deposit then not credited to the overall bill really annoyed me, but I had been on a plane for 2 days and had nowhere else to go. There was no toilet seat for the first 3 days of my week long stay. No toilet paper about half the time. The shower room doesn't lock and the only time I could get a hot shower was weird hours of the night - morning..not a hope. The owners were rude, especially the female owner, and we had one of the male owners walk into our room without asking. The whole place is filthy. The breakfast is toast, if u can get it, or cornflakes. There are very few plates mugs etc available so if u don't get there first u can't even have breakfast as there is nowhere to wash anything and staff are usually not around. They are happy to take ur cash to use the pool table which doesn't work after the first few balls are potted. The bar is completely dead. When we left the lady owner was rude and reluctant to return the £5 key deposit. Wifi is terrible and useless. They refused to tell us where a laundromat was so we had to pay them high fees to have our washing done. The only positive is Angel is a pretty cool place with good bars etc and the hostel is close to the underground. But if you can afford to away somewhere else, do it.

• Stayed: June 2013