“Fine dedication to the Great Fire of London”

The Monument to the Great Fire of London
London Pass Including Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour and Entry to Over 60 Attractions
Ranked #102 of 1,736 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: A permanent reminder of the Great Fire of 1666, the Monument commemorates one of the most famous events in London's history. Standing regally on the piazza between Fish Street Hill and Monument Street, the 202ft column designed by Sir Christopher Wren and Dr Robert Hooke, celebrates the City which rose from the ashes. The Monument invites you to climb its 311 spiral steps and enjoy one of the best views over the City.
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

This is a fine monument to the Great Fire of London near Bank/ Monument tube. It's quite hemmed in by streets and not a lot of tall skyscrapers insecure the views it once offered.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,833)

Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

Well worth a visit. Me and my daughters climbed this monument on our recent visit to London. Brilliant and spectacular views from the top. Well worth a fiver.

1  Thank Dawolf74
Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

We paid the 5£ fee and climbed the 300 plus spiraling steps to the top for s spectacular 360 degree views of the City. Luckily it was a clear day and we had great views of the Tower Bridge and City skyline. Upon descent, they hand you a certificate to commemorate your experience. Very nice workout and way to view the City. We stumbled on this walking from the Underground station to the Tower Bridge and Castle.

1  Thank PHLee7ca
Reviewed 14 September 2017

This monument is tucked away in-between high-rise buildings but is worth seeking out. Informative inscriptions tell the story of how the Great Fire of London started at this point.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

a couple of years ago was in London and having been to the Monument when I was a school boy wanted to come back and climb the tower. well did just that and must say that the view from the top is some what remarkable.....just the steps are never ending and had this young fellow behind me keeping the pace up.....so by the time I reach the top was somewhat out of breath. but the view certainly got my attention to ignore the pain of the climb and just take in the beauty. on my way down I had time to do it in my stride and was much better ...so if you are going to climb the Monument make sure there is no speedster chasing you ....that is if you are well over 21!! they also give you a certificate for climb the Monument which I have mounted on the wall in my bathroom to remind me of that view and the little pain it caused.
well worth the climb.