“Worst experience of my life”

Piccadilly Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #534 of 837 Speciality Lodging in London
Dublin, Ireland
“Worst experience of my life”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I really don't know where to start on this place, We traveled over from Ireland for a business meeting with 80 of our colleagues, when I booked the hostel I specifically asked for an ensuite room for the group leaders which I was promised they would get, when we arrived at the hostel, our room keys were thrown at us and left for the group leaders to organise.

There was no bed linen in the rooms, the rooms were disgusting, dirt all over the floor so bad that you had to wear shoes in the room, a broken mirror in our room and surprise surprise NO ensuite. when i went back to reception to ask for the ensuite room - No Joke - they LAUGHED at me and said they do not have any ensuite and never had an ensuite room!

After a super night out we all came back to the hostel every one at different times, when I got back there was a note on my door to tell me to contact reception, I went into the room to change my shoes and heard a banging on my door, when I opened the door there was a security guard and the "manager" there, they spoke to me very angrily and took my arm and told me to follow them to another room, I was extermly nervous at this stage and called out for my colleague who was in a room along the corridor. He came out and escorted us to the room where the 2 staff were bring me, the whole time their tone and stance was extermly aggressive they told me that one of our party had been smoking in the room and they wanted me to give them 200pounds there and then!! my colleague left to go and get a female my colleague as he was gettting very angry at how the 2 staff were speaking to us, I argued with the "manager"as he had no prof there was anyone smoking in the room he was horrifically rude and started screaming in my face, he then stormed off and came back to me and continued to shout in my face, one of my colleagues was coming back from her nightout and was 2 floors down and could hear the commotion so she ran up to see what was happening and found him screaming in my face and me shaking with fear, she told him she was calling the police if he did not stop, he then took his phone out and said he would call them himself. my colleague brought me to the room to pack our bags as we were very frighted and did not want to stay the night there, I was so shaking up by the whole incident I ended up having an extreme panic attack, the rest of our colleagues heard about the incident and all 80 of them packed there bags and left the disgusting hostel. when I came down from my room being supported by 2 colleagues and I still could not breathe and I was shaking very badly the manger started to shout at me again!!

I have never experienced anything like this, the staff were horrific, even when we came home and I called to complain I was told to send an email, I received a mail back to say that they had no record of the incident! I received no apology. I also called pretending to make a reservation 1 week after our return and was again told that yes I could book an Ensuite room!!!!!
honestly guys stay well away from this place, dirty rooms, no bed linen, showers than not even cockroaches would live in, abusive and rude staff, honestly i wouldn't let me dog stay here.

Room Tip: Pick a different hostel / hotel
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank colette m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

Completely disgusting. There's no way the photos on their website are real. The place looked like it was directly out of the USSR. Dilapidated building, old bunk beds, disgusting mattresses, gross sheets, had to pay for towels, no warm water, naked Eastern European girls everywhere. We did not feel safe. Had to put your bags in a room if you arrived before check in time and the woman working there talked about the thefts that had taken place in the luggage room. The staff was extremely creepy and we were more worried about them then the guests staying there. This place may be suitable for someone from a third world country, but if you are American, DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Besides, we payed 400 pounds for 2 nights. I could have paid less than that and stayed in a decent hotel in London.
And some of the reviews on here are false, there is no adjoining bathroom, but rather a community bathroom and showers. No free breakfast or Wi-Fi. And sure you can pay to use one of their computers, if you enjoy using IBMs from 1990.

Room Tip: Sleep in the street, it would be safer, cleaner and cheaper.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank PBCon

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Spartanburg, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

I cannot describe this place as adequately as I would like to, because that would require the use of too many censored words. This place is disgusting. It is very similar to a prison. You would think that if they were never going to clean the place, that they would at least paint the walls a dark color so that you wouldn't be able to see the years worth of dirt, grime, mold, and who-knows-what that has accumulated on the floor, floorboards, walls, ceiling, cabinets, beds, etc. In the hallways the windows were shattered on the doors, the hinge on our bedroom door was broken and slapped loudly each time we opened the door, we were required to kick the radiator every two hours during the night cause it made an ear-piercing noise, the beds are made of creaky metal frames, the bathrooms are so vile that they make you question whether it might be cleaner to take a shower in the public restrooms in underground. True, this place is a great deal, and the location is fabulous, but this place is more of a government mandated asylum than a vacation lodging. Don't let those images on the website fool you, the real rooms are tiny, dirty, certainly don't have that artwork in them (but might have some bubblegum or graffiti on the bed).

Room Tip: Don't let those images on the website fool you, the real rooms are horrible, small, dirty, and d...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Adrienne D
Frankfurt, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

Best thing about this place was the location.

Worst things: lift was broken the entire time we stayed, so we had to climb up 7 flights of stairs everytime we got home. Showers were absolutely revolting, growing mould and weren't cleaned properly, some didn't have doors or curtains on them. Toilets were left blocked for 3 days over the weekend. No way to guarantee the security of your belongings during the day. Absolutely no room in the dorms for anyone's packs, and bunks were so close together you could hold hands with the person opposite you. Bedding was scungy and I'm not convinced they actually wash blankets between guests. Despite paying for 5 nights our keycards stopped working after four, so we got locked out of our room; the desk staff were less than apologetic and seemed annoyed that I was interrupting them.

It's cheap for London, but it'd be worth looking on wotif.com and seeing if there's something else available for a similar price, because ANYTHING is better than here.

Room Tip: Don't choose a 6 or 8 bed dorm, you all get squashed into a room smaller than what one person wo...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank lavieenrosie
Dubrovnik, Croatia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

Me and my friends have stayed there for one night and I did not feel safe at all!
There was no hot water and elevator was not operating!
Not recommended!