US$316
US$314
US$268
  • Pool
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$297/night.

US$791
US$313
  • Restaurant
Park Grand London Kensington(London)
US$146
US$134
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$158/night.

Citadines Holborn-Covent Garden London(London)(Great Value!)
US$327
US$275
  • Fitness centre
Strand Palace Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
US$216
US$192
US$291
Montague Hotel
Savings alert! 22% below average rates

The price you found is 22% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$373/night.

US$274
US$178
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$221/night.

US$132
PremierInn.com
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsearls court stationbunk bedsfree breakfast is a greathostel is conveniently locatedfree tea and coffeeensuite bathroomstayed here for a weekno elevatorcommunal areasgreat bathroomlocation is excellentwi fidormcerealsinkheathrowcharger
Reviewed 24 March 2017 via mobile

For the money, you couldn't do much better than this place. The dorm was basic. There is no elevator. The wifi was good. Breakfast is pretty basic. The people are friendly and many of them stay there, so they really take care of the place. The neighborhood has a lot of food options, and it is located right by the Earl's Court Underground Station, so it's easy to get around.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FatHelga
Reviewed 19 March 2017 via mobile

I stayed two nights and I should have stayed more. If you are looking for a party hostel this is not it... I mean, yes people go out and drink and enjoy each other's time, but there is no pub crawl and when you do crawl back in, you are aware of the other people. Everyone was friendly and talkative. Overall such a relaxing and enjoyable stay!! Definitely recommend!!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank RooLavoie
Reviewed 1 March 2017

Barmy Badger is just fantastic! Ideal location (a short walk to Earl's Court tube, shops, restaurants, and a 24 hour grocery store). The owners were incredibly kind and accommodating. They went above and beyond! The private room we stayed in with bunk beds was clean, functional, and even had a little balcony. Barmy Badger attracts similarly minded travellers so shared spaces were clean, noise levels were low, and everyone was kind and respectful. I would give 6 stars if I could! Fabulous stay!!

Room Tip: Room 9 (private room, 2 bunk beds) was up a flight of stairs, had a balcony, and faced the lovely street!
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Erica B
Reviewed 14 February 2017

Stayed here for a week when working in the area.

Suited our needs, staff were nice and friendly but the bathroom could have been a tad better for 6 big men sharing a room.

Would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business
2  Thank Chris G
Reviewed 22 December 2016

I currently stayed here for the third time, and I have the same experience every time...a fantastic one! I've stayed in several hostels now, and this is the only one that I can say is consistently excellent; I have never not had a good night's sleep at the Badger!

The staff are all wonderful. At the end of my previous stay (in October 2016), I checked-out and walked down the street, when the main zip on my backpack burst open. Ken very kindly let me come back into the hostel and drop my back off at the reception office. He also gave me directions to the nearest place to buy a new backpack. Liz is so lovely! We had a marvellous chat the other day at reception, which ended up lasting for around an hour, talking about books and travelling. Liz is also fantastic about giving advice on where to travel. Other staff are also very helpful. I didn't realise that you have to hold in the knobs on the cooker hob to get the gas to come on, so I popped up to reception, and they very kindly came down with me to show me how to do it. The kitchen closes very late as well, at 11p.m., so you have plenty of time to cook away when you come back from a day of sightseeing.

The breakfast is free (always a bonus!), and is continental style with bread for toast, nutella and jams, fruit, cereal, and hot coffee. Whenever I have the Badger’s breakfast, I always feel full to start the day ahead.

The hostel really feels like a homely space. The living room is great for relaxing, with the television, board games, and even a fantastic selection of books (ranging from Lonely Planet travel guides, to fiction). It is currently decorated for Christmas, with a pretty Christmas tree by the window; this just adds to the homely feel! There is an outside area, with wooden decking and wooden benches, that is fantastic to socialise in the evenings. The kitchen itself is incredibly clean, and spacious, with a large wooden table. It is easy to find cutlery and other kitchen equipment in the drawers, and the plates and glasses/mugs in the upper cabinets. I’ve yet to encounter a problem regarding dishes that have not been cleaned properly, everyone does seem to pull their weight. The cooker is easy to use, as is the microwave, and with the helpful placement of a reasonably priced Sainsbury's Local seconds away from the hostel, there is never any excuse to not cook your own food, as it is nearer to the hostel than the restaurants and fast food (which are also within minutes walking distance, if you are feeling naughty). There are two free food cupboards, and there are usually essential items such as oil to be found within. I really do appreciate the provided essential cooking equipment ,I believe I encountered two or three sieve strainers in the bottom cupboard the other day, which just goes to show that the Badger has thought of everything, as you won’t have to wait for others to finish up to crack on with your own food. There are two fridges, one large silver one, and one smaller white one. Even in the height of summer (July 2016, my first visit), I never had a problem with finding a space for my food, and every food item has to be named and dated, and placed inside a named and dated bag, as the fridge is cleaned out regularly. This really just attests to the high standard of care that the Badger operates, as mouldy food is eradicated swiftly.

Now, I’ve always stayed in the four bed en-suite female dorm room, which is room 6. It is up one flight of stairs, and is unlocked by a traditional key. Beds are not assigned, but the letter written on your keyring corresponds to your locker; reception are very receptive to changing lockers if possible, if you want to (as happened with me in July, as I couldn’t quite reach the top of my locker unless standing on the foot stall!).

The lockers are huge. There’s a shelf nearer the top, and an actual laptop safe as well, which just adds that little layer of security to your belongings (not that I’ve ever had any issues with any items’ safety!). You can bring your own lock, and most generally will fit, or you can buy one for £5 at the reception. The locker is so big, that you can quite easily fit a large backpacking pack, and several other items in there. If you have a suitcase that is just too big, you can either empty the contents into the locker (it is big enough, after all), or place it in one of the four open wooden squares that are placed under the bunk beds. If that is not desirable, I do believe that the Badger offers long-term luggage storage for £1 per bag per day, a very reasonable price indeed.

The beds themselves are glorious. Being in the technology orientated world that we now all live in, and being someone who is very much ingrained in this technological culture; one of my first questions when booking a hostel is: “Is there a plug socket?!”. You needn’t fear when staying at the Badger, as EACH BED has two normal UK plug sockets (although one does have the personal reading lamp in it, but you can easily unplug that), and two USB plug sockets! When staying at the Badger, I know that my tech items are in good hands, as I can easily charge my phone, portable charger, iPod, and Kindle all at once. As well as this, the Badger also provides a clever little shelf just under the plug sockets. Ever worried that you’ve pulled your off phone of charge in the night as you toss and turn in bed? Well that is a non-issue at this hostel, as the shelf is quite a generous space, and you can line all of your tech items smartly, as well as strategically placing a book, some snacks, and a drink!
You do have to make your own bed, but I think that that is pretty great, as it easily enables you to tell if the bed is free or not, based on the appearance of the made bed. The mattresses and pillows are made of memory foam. I normally sleep with two pillows at home, but since staying at the Badger, I have become fully accustomed to sleeping with one – it is bliss!

The Badger has ample opportunities for bathroom usage. There is an extra toilet and sink in the same room as the washer and dryer, as well as an extra bathroom and shower near the stairs leading down to the kitchen; there really is no problem if someone is using the bathroom, as you can just go and find another one. The en-suite bathroom and toilet in the female dorm is great. The shower has a detachable head, and is adjustable height-wise. It also has good water pressure, and is fairly easy to use. I have not once had a cold shower here, as the water warms very quickly. One thing I am grateful for, is the inclusion of a shower shelf; it is otherwise always frustrating having to leave your bath-time products on the floor of the shower. I have also never experienced a clogged drain there. The bathroom is fitted out with a mirror (at a reasonable height too, so short people like me can see themselves!), and has a tiled interior, which looks very stylish and modern. Another great plus about the en-suite (other than the fact that it is always cleaned to a high specification), is that even if someone is taking a shower late at night, you can barely here a thing in the room.

Alongside the £5 locker available to purchase at the reception, you can also get a variety of different travel essentials. If you’ve forgotten your hairdryer, you can hire one for a £20 refundable deposit, same with the towels which are a refundable £10. Helpfully, you can get your boarding pass printed off, pay 50p to have something printed off, and even received post at the hostel. Further facilities includes free wifi, and the ability to wash and dry your clothes in the room downstairs adjacent to the kitchen, too. Furthermore, the hostel is incredibly secure, as it uses a passcode entry system which changes often for security.

As mentioned above, the hostel is within seconds of the Sainbury’s Local. As well as this, you are a few minutes from Kensington high street, as well as approximately 7 minutes (that’s taking in to account my short height, small stride, and carrying a very heavy backpack) to Earl’s Court Underground station, which can get you to central London within half an hour, really, or directly to Victoria (for the coach station), or numerous different stations in London (chiefly Paddington and King’s Cross). I have felt very comfortable walking around the area at night, as I’ve been to see several different plays in Covent Garden and other areas of London which has meant getting back to the hostel at nearly midnight – I have felt safe every time as there are always people around, and it is just such a short walk back to the hostel! You are also just around the corner from the Co-Op, McDonald’s, Nando’s, and Gregg’s – just to name a few. As I found out the other day, it is only a 20 minute walk to the Cineworld in Fulham Road, which is also pretty safe to walk back through the dark. Plus, at Christmas, you are not far from Knightsbridge and the Hyde Park Winter Wonderland.

Finally, I could not write a review about the Badger, without mentioning Tinka and Malarkey. I fell in love with Malarkey during my previous stay, when the sleepy pup request plenty of belly rubs. I finally met Tinka during this trip, who was soundly asleep on the doggy bed in the reception office. As a dog lover, Tinka and Malarkey’s appearance (Monday – Friday) makes a fantastic hostel even more amazing, and feels ever more like home.

Also, despite the fact that I’ve stayed here a few times now, my stays have been fairly far apart. Therefore, it is really lovely to be remembered by the staff!
So, this is my entirely honest and totally unbiased review of my recent stay at the Badger. There are some hostels that feel like hotels; they may feel spacious with cool artsy décor, but there is always a subtle sterile feeling that is a stark reminder that you are not at home. This is definitely not the case with Barmy Badger Backpackers. The warm colours of the hostel, and real wooden furniture, mixed with the genuinely warm people (staff and inhabitants alike!), make the whole hostel feel like a cosy, welcoming, and warm home. It is somewhere that I feel safe, can get a brilliant night’s sleep, and I have never not made at least one new friend whilst staying here. I can’t wait to come back soon!

It is, quite simply, my London home away from home.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo