“Disappointing. Would not recommend this hotel.”
Review of 1 Lexham Gardens

1 Lexham Gardens
Ranked #903 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 December 2011

I booked my stay through lastminute.com and paid 55 GBP for a single room for one night. The room was actually a triple and contained both a double and single bed.

Although impressed by the spaciousness of the room, I was somewhat annoyed at the following significant drawbacks:

-a window that did not close properly and guaranteed a cold draft for the whole night
-a hard and uncomfortable bed
-a shower enclosed in a ridiculously small recess (in a bathroom that was surprisingly large and certainly large enough to hold a larger shower recess)
-the same shower which featured two kinds of running water: scalding hot or icy cold (note: scalding hot only available after four minutes waiting time)
-a toilet seat which was too small for the toilet bowl
-a device plugged into the power outlet with a frayed cable and exposed wires
-threadbare offerings on the continental breakfast buffet the next morning

Along with a tediously slow elevator, these drawbacks were certainly enough for my stay to be rather disappointing.

I was impressed, however, by the following: hotel's location, in-room flatscreen TV with numerous channels, fresh fruit on the breakfast buffet.

To conclude, I was extremely happy that I did not pay more than 55 GBP for this room!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for 1 Lexham Gardens

Reviewed 2 December 2011

Stayed here recently on a business trip. Struggled to get hotels in Clapham so we settled for this hotel on laterooms.com. The price was very affordable so we were sceptical when we booked, however when we arrived at the hotel (just a 5min walk from Earls Court Tube), we were very impressed!

The double room which I booked, turned out to be a family room with two double beds, and large sofa! There was a very large LCD Tv on the wall and very modern decor. The bed was comfortable and the the sheets, towels etc were clean and tidy. Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel to others, especially with the 'budget' price per room.

There was some nice pubs and restaurants within a short walk from the hotel.

Thanks

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 1 December 2011

I only stayed one night, but it was the worst hotel stay of my life, and I am an extensive traveler. 'Management' policies was responsible for this.

After returning from dinner, after I had already checked in, the hotel refused to let me back into my room until I gave my credit card. This was due to payment transfer issues from Agoda to Lexham Hotel. I had previously paid in full to Agoda and had my confirmation voucher for this. This issue should have been settled between the hotel and Agoda - I (the customer) should not have been inconvenienced by this.

The following morning I was given back my credit card, however upon checkout, management changed their mind again and 'Adam' the assistant manager would not let me leave the hotel and demanded I payed the hotel in full for my nights stay again. Again I refused as I had already paid in full, I was held for 45 mins. It was very stressful as I had a flight to catch, however when I explained this 'Adam' was very dismissive and told the receptionist 'do not let her leave' but then left me there for 45 mins while I stressed about missing my flight and pleaded with the receptionist to let me leave.

When the receptionist finally let me go I was on the verge of tears, I was scared Adam would come running after me, I had to pay for a taxi to the airport to catch my flight instead of taking the tube which meant that I incurred a cost higher than what I paid for the hotel.

A customer should never be treated this way, this was a banking glitch between the hotel and Agoda. I am still shocked at this appalling treatment I received and would not recommend this hotel to anyone even if it was for free. Adam not only needs to go to hotel management school but also needs to learn how to respect fellow human beings and how to problem solve properly.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank RhiannonKiwi
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Great location, within walking distance from the underground's Earl's Court station, on the same line that comes from Heathrow, so no transfers required with your luggage.
The hotel looks nice from the outside, and the lobby and breakfast areas were cozy, like a large old home. One the other hand, the room was pretty awful, they gave me room 010 below the main floor, to get to it, it was a bit of a maze and felt like a "dungeon". Carpet on the stairs so worn that some steps were "fixed" with masking (painters) tape. The room was designed for a very slim person, nice bed, but it barely fit so it was difficult to move around it. The radiator heating was open so it was very hot. I managed to close it otherwise I would have baked there. Two settings, open (extremely hot) or closed, which got quite cool but made it comfortable to sleep. Luckily I could open a window, but could not leave it open since it faced a back alley and had no protection of any kind so I hoped that the area was safe since anyone could have easily climbed into the room, unseen. The bathroom recently renovated but I barely fit in the shower stall, and I'm not big (175 Lbs.) I kept hitting the water tap (faucet I should say) with my elbow and kept turning it to the scalding hot side, and trust me there's no place to run, so you have to be quick with your hands and freeze for a bit untill you found the "sweet" spot again.. The walls were paper thin, and could hear very clearly the couple staying next door... from their regular very early morning conversations to the other "noisier" activities, with every detail, and she wasn't even a screemer!
Their WiFi did not reach the "dungeon" so I could not use it there.
It was and ok price, and suitable for a teenager backpacking through Europe, or like me, that stayed over the weekend only to attend the ATP tennis finals.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 20 November 2011

This hotel was clean and tidy, the room was small, but what you would expect for central London. My only issue with the room was the carpet, it was old and worn, there was even a large iron burn in the carpet at the end of the bed.

The hotel was within walking distance of the two underground stations, there is a starbucks a 5 minute walk from the hotel. The breakfast was very basic, but for the price, I couldn't grumble.

I would stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple