All reviews no lift gower street british museum full english breakfast georgian townhouse booked a triple room air conditioning basement room top floor small hotel cooked breakfast breakfast room russell square short stay yogurt breakfast staff the room was nice
Reviewed 1 April 2009

Small hotel in Bloomsbury that includes a great English breakfast. Comfortable rooms, ensuite bathrooms - everything was clean and comfortable. Would definitely stay there again.

Date of stay: March 2009
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2009

I stayed at the Staunton with three friends. We had great rooms, and the location of the hotel was very good. The breakfast that we were served was better than most places I have been to.The staff was helpfull and after returning to London after a trip to the countryside they helped me with a room when I could not check in at the hotel where we had reservations due to my claustrophobia. This is where I will stay next time I go to London. Thanks to the staff at Staunton.

Date of stay: March 2009
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 February 2009

I stayed here for 4 nights during February 2009. I was at a week long conference in Islington and booked this hotel through Hotels.com, based on the location, price and mostly positive reviews on Tripadvisor.

We checked in quite late on the Monday night and my first impressions were good; the hotel was clean and tidy, the gentleman on the front desk was perfectly hospitable and my room (B2) was a decent size.

All seemed well, but unfortunately it didn't take long for the problems to set in. Firstly, half the bed was completely soaked through. This was disappointing but nothing major and I was happy enough to just sleep on the other side of the bed!

However, the major issue came when I turned off the TV and tried to go to sleep. There was a loud noise from outside the window; at first I thought it was a road sweeper driving past as I was on the basement level however the sound didn't stop. I looked outside my window and to my horror there were 4 large extractor fans right outside the patio style window. The noise was unbearable; I tried to sleep through it but by 12:30am I'd had enough and went up to reception to request a room change.

The gentleman on the front desk was again very helpful. He freely admitted that I wasn't the first person to have a problem with the noise in that room and sorted me out with a room change for the remaining 3 nights of my stay. He said I must be a light sleeper as my colleague hadn't complained, but as I discovered the next day there were no fans outside my colleague's room (B1) and an outer dividing wall between the outside of my room and his for good measure. My colleague couldn't believe the noise in my room either when he checked it the next day and said there's no way he'd have been able to sleep through that.

I don't blame the staff at all, but for me this shows a serious problem with the hotel management. There's no way on earth the room I had should be in use with the noise levels as high as they were. Clearly I wasn't the first person to complain about this, yet people are still booked into that room which is poor practice, especially for a 4* hotel.

Fortunately, the room I moved to for the remaining 3 nights (302) was fine. In addition, breakfast was good and as I mentioned, all the staff were friendly and professional.

It's fair to say that if I'd been booked straight into room 302 I'd have nothing bad to say about this hotel, but in all honesty I wouldn't go back because of the risk of getting booked into B2 again. Goodness only knows how bad my stay would have been if they hadn't had an alternative room spare for me.

Date of stay: February 2009
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
4  Thank Astuteboy
Reviewed 20 January 2009

We normally stay in the Strand Palace but needed a hotel with a triple room. On checking in we were allocated two rooms instead at no extra cost, in this instance this was not a problem. The hotel was very clean and the rooms were well presented. The breakfast choice was very good. Although it was a bit of a walk to where we needed to be we will definitely stay here again in the future.

Date of stay: January 2009
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 23 November 2008

We had a one night stop here for a visit to "theatreland". The room was very well presented with a great rooftop view. Friendly service, we could check in from 12.00pm and breakfast was good. We were a 10 minute walk from the main part of Shaftsbury Ave, but still in a quiet road. Would definitely stay here again.

Date of stay: November 2008