“Nice hotel, good location”
Review of Staunton Hotel

Staunton Hotel
Ranked #501 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 24 April 2009

I stayed at this hotel in April with my husband and 15 year old daughter for 1 night as we were going to see Oliver at the Drury Lane Theatre (which was brilliant). Previously we have stayed at the Hyde Park Radnor but this time I wanted somewhere within walking distance of the theatre. It took us about 15 minutes to walk from Euston station to the hotel. The lady on reception was polite and helpful. Our room wasn't quite ready and as we had bought sandwiches at the station, she suggested we walk to nearby Russell Square where we could buy tea/coffee and eat them there. Russell square is like a very small park with a cafe and fountains so this was a nice way to pass half an hour. We were allocated a room on the third floor at the back of the hotel. I had requested a quiet room in my email and they had replied straight away that that was fine. There isn't a lift but we needed the exercise anyway. The room was nice and clean and spacious even though they had had to put a single in as well for my daughter. Our bed was 6' wide and had lovely soft pillows and nice white bed linen. There were tea/coffee making facilities. The bathroom was spacious and had a bath which you often don't get. There was a small selection of toiletries provided and plenty of towels (although the bath towels were a bit small). The room was warm but there is air conditioning if you need it. In the morning we went down to the breakfast room in the basement. It was nice and clean though not all that big. It wasn't busy when we were there though. The waitress was polite and efficient. There was a selection of cereals, yoghurts, juices, fresh fruit etc and we had a nice english breakfast. It only took us about 15 minutes or so to walk to the theatre on our first evening and it was nice to be able to walk back afterwards and not use the tube. We had had dinner at a nice Italian restaurant called Paradiso which was just around the corner from the hotel in Store Street. The staff were polite and efficient and the food good especially the desserts which were lovely. We went to the Victoris and Albert museum whilst in London which we enjoyed. There is so much to see there. They have a very good cafe too and also a small garden outside with a fountain where you can buy coffee/cakes etc. It was lovely sitting out there soaking up the sun. On the second evening before we went home we had dinner at another Italian restaurant in Charlotte Street called Bertorelli's. This was only about 5 minutes walk from the hotel and again the food/service was very good. There are several nice restaurants on Charlotte street. It was ideal being able to walk back to Euston and not worry about tubes and taxis. We would definitely stay at the Staunton hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank amh59

Reviewed 1 April 2009

Small hotel in Bloomsbury that includes a great English breakfast. Comfortable rooms, ensuite bathrooms - everything was clean and comfortable. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2009

I stayed at the Staunton with three friends. We had great rooms, and the location of the hotel was very good. The breakfast that we were served was better than most places I have been to.The staff was helpfull and after returning to London after a trip to the countryside they helped me with a room when I could not check in at the hotel where we had reservations due to my claustrophobia. This is where I will stay next time I go to London. Thanks to the staff at Staunton.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 February 2009

I stayed here for 4 nights during February 2009. I was at a week long conference in Islington and booked this hotel through Hotels.com, based on the location, price and mostly positive reviews on Tripadvisor.

We checked in quite late on the Monday night and my first impressions were good; the hotel was clean and tidy, the gentleman on the front desk was perfectly hospitable and my room (B2) was a decent size.

All seemed well, but unfortunately it didn't take long for the problems to set in. Firstly, half the bed was completely soaked through. This was disappointing but nothing major and I was happy enough to just sleep on the other side of the bed!

However, the major issue came when I turned off the TV and tried to go to sleep. There was a loud noise from outside the window; at first I thought it was a road sweeper driving past as I was on the basement level however the sound didn't stop. I looked outside my window and to my horror there were 4 large extractor fans right outside the patio style window. The noise was unbearable; I tried to sleep through it but by 12:30am I'd had enough and went up to reception to request a room change.

The gentleman on the front desk was again very helpful. He freely admitted that I wasn't the first person to have a problem with the noise in that room and sorted me out with a room change for the remaining 3 nights of my stay. He said I must be a light sleeper as my colleague hadn't complained, but as I discovered the next day there were no fans outside my colleague's room (B1) and an outer dividing wall between the outside of my room and his for good measure. My colleague couldn't believe the noise in my room either when he checked it the next day and said there's no way he'd have been able to sleep through that.

I don't blame the staff at all, but for me this shows a serious problem with the hotel management. There's no way on earth the room I had should be in use with the noise levels as high as they were. Clearly I wasn't the first person to complain about this, yet people are still booked into that room which is poor practice, especially for a 4* hotel.

Fortunately, the room I moved to for the remaining 3 nights (302) was fine. In addition, breakfast was good and as I mentioned, all the staff were friendly and professional.

It's fair to say that if I'd been booked straight into room 302 I'd have nothing bad to say about this hotel, but in all honesty I wouldn't go back because of the risk of getting booked into B2 again. Goodness only knows how bad my stay would have been if they hadn't had an alternative room spare for me.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank Astuteboy
Reviewed 20 January 2009

We normally stay in the Strand Palace but needed a hotel with a triple room. On checking in we were allocated two rooms instead at no extra cost, in this instance this was not a problem. The hotel was very clean and the rooms were well presented. The breakfast choice was very good. Although it was a bit of a walk to where we needed to be we will definitely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends