“Lovely hotel in good location.”
Review of Staunton Hotel

Staunton Hotel
Ranked #493 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I stayed here with my family during a New Year trip to London. The hotel is well situated, only a 5 minute walk from the British Museum, 20 minutes from many theatres and restaurants and 30 minutes from Covent Garden. We visited all 3 and really enjoyed it.
The hotel staff were very welcoming as soon as we arrived. We were planning to leave our bags and go out, but our room was ready straightaway, which was a nice, unexpected surprise.
It's often hard to find a 'family' room for a family with 14 and 20 year old children, but this room was just right. A very big double bed, which on closer inspection was two singles put together, but nothing wrong with that. A very spacious wardrobe and small bedside tables. The bathroom was clean and well sized, with a double shower. The room had a TV with all freeview channels. Nice touches I found were the addition of a sewing kit and shoe shine kit, along with a very generous supply of shower gel and shampoo. Alongside this was paper and envelopes for letters and even a small notepad beside the bed. The room was nice and warm, sometimes a little too warm, but there was air conditioning in the room and 3 windows to choose to open. A hairdryer was supplied, along with tea, coffee and milk.
Breakfast consisted of a selection of cereal, fruits and yoghurts and the choice of a cooked breakfast with toast also. We had the cooked breakfast, which was ok. The sausage was a little too 'herby' for my liking, but the bacon was nice, maybe a little salty. Lovely staff and also a television in the room with the news on.
We stayed for one night and found it very comfortable and enjoyable.

Room Tip: If you don't want to face the main road, then say so when booking. Saying that, I was facing it...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 January 2013 via mobile

There is a price to pay for the location which is road noise so ask for a high floor and near the back if available. The hotel is in easy walking distance of many London tourist sights.
The room was on the small side but was in good condition and fine for our one night stay. Air conditioning is handy as you wouldn't want to open the windows due to noise.
The included breakfast was a bonus being a full English when continental was advertised on our booking. (No vegatarian option offered though)

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 16 December 2012

It was a noisy stay so I recommend ear plugs. Location is great, walking distance to so many places. We didn't need to take the underground at all. Breakfast is very nice. No lift and that could be an issue for some climbing those staircases. We stayed 4 nights.

Room Tip: not the street side rooms and check for noises from vents behind walls, they can last for hours
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Staunton has become my hotel of choise when visiting London. It has a very nice cozy feeling to it, the rooms are nice, quiet, clean with good air conditioning. The hotel has been refurbished without loosing the english charm. Breakfast, which is served downstairs, is adequate.

Locationwise its perfect! Just a short walk to Soho and Covent Garden, nearest tube just a couple of blocks away

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Per C
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I stayed in this hotel in mid October 2012 and was disappointed at what I got for the £160 price I paid for one night's stay. Is an old Victorian style house now made into a hotel which is okay. Design, decor is good however no lifts to rooms on floor 1 & above which can be a struggle for elderly or those with kids.

I had a ground floor, twin room which faced the road outside the hotel. Room was nice however way too warm. If you wanted air conditioning on during the night to cool it down, it was too noisy therefore you sacrificed sleep. Windows couldn't be opened.

4am+ I quickly learnt that either buses or Heavy Vehicles pass the front of the hotel, on average once every 5 minutes, rattling the room, therefore my sleep was gone for the night. I'd have been better travelling down from the north of England early that morning on the train for an event that morning/afternoon as I'd have had more sleep.

Anyway I advised the reception the next morning about the traffic issue and all she could say is if you stay again, please ask for a room that is located to the rear of the building. I left a letter for the management to see and it was never responded to.

I then backed this up with an email via the hotel's website about 10 days later (late October) advising my complaint hadn't been responded to, please could management contact me. No response.

So overall, I wasn't keen to put this review on however the don't care attitude from the management has made me review here. I'd say to anyone, stay away from it if you want a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: If definitely planning to stay here, request a room that doesn't face the road outside the front...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business