“Not the amenities or service you'd expect from a 4* hotel”

Crowne Plaza London - Docklands
Ranked #342 of 1,063 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Maryland
“Not the amenities or service you'd expect from a 4* hotel”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

When I checked in, I was disappointed to learn there was no wireless access in the room, and the only internet connection available was ethernet (so much for my MacBook Air and my iPad). When I asked if there was an adapter, I was told no. The Apple Store was a short ride on the DLR, so resolved the problem for 25 pounds. The cost of accessing the Internet was 25 pounds a day once I was able to use the ethernet port. (that was more then parking, by the way, which was only 16 pounds a day)
I tried to get a drink at the bar, but left after being ignored for almost 10 minutes. The business center is a simple computer in the middle of a reception area and a lousy printer. Sure, there are little shampoos and soaps, and a fitness room, but I expected more from what is touted as a 4 star hotel. Room was modern and nice, plenty of hot water, but despite turning the thermostat all the way down, my room never cooled off. Mini Fridge in room is a nice touch. Location for Excel Center is very good, but NOT an ideal business traveler hotel. Rooms overlooking the River give a nice view.
Decent restaurants (a Caribbean place and several Indian plus others) close by. There is also a small convenience store and the Docklands Light Railway nearby.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the River. Nice View.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
DGMLondonDocklands, Assistant Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Docklands, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear Reviwer,

I thank you kindly for the time you have taken to leave your comments about your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza London Docklands.

You have some valid points in regards to the adaptor for your Ipad not being available and we will be organising some this week. I do apologise as in your case we were too late to help you but we will very soon be able to help others in this situation.

Our 24 hours internet rate comes just below the 24 hours car park charge.

I will take all your feedback on board and share it with all the departments who can benefit from it. I would like to thank you one more time for your feedback which is most welcome as it helps us improve our service.

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Assistant Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
Burleigh Heads, Australia
Reviewed 25 February 2012

If you want to be in the heart of London this is not the place for you. But if you need to be near the Canary Wharf financial district, the ExCel Centre or London City Airport, this is the place!

The hotel is modern and in many ways quite basic - but is clean and well maintained.. There is no grand foyer or other pretentious trappings. A well-patronised fitness club and pool is located on the ground floor almost alongside the reception counter. The restaurant and bar are also located on the ground floor and offer the expected services.

The rooms are comfortable - a nice soft bed with lots of pillows and a bathroom with plenty of hot water. There are a couple of areas that could be improved, though: the level of in-room lighting is the poorest of any hotel I have stayed in and the internet service (delivered by cable, believe it or not) is not appropriate for a business hotel. On the other hand the staff are very friendly and helpful.

In the vicinity are quite a few restaurants - several Indian, one Japanese and a very good Italian. They are in easy walking distance from the hotel and there are a couple of small supermarkets close by from which you can buy your snacks and drinks (and avoid the high minibar prices).

Overall, though, the hotel is pleasant and the staff are helpful.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer,

I thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza London Docklands.

You mention most of our facilities which suggests that you made good use of them and I am happy you can give such good account of it all.

You mention the cable broadband internet service in the rooms. I am afraid you are right in saying we need updating this and as a business hotel this is expected. We are in the process of extending wireless internet to the rooms as currently is only accessible on our public areas. This is certainly on our agenda.

In regards to the low lighting in the room I have passed these comments on to our maintenance team for consideration. As we have duty of care to our environment we are very careful in choosing environmentally friendly items. At the moment we have LED lighting which can be dimmer.

Comments and feedback such as this genuinely help us understand what is expected of us and we take them very seriously.

I would like to thank you one more time for your genuine comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza London Docklands very soon.

Assistatn Front Office Manager
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 24 February 2012

nice place a little shady reasonble service office wise very good service room service ok room ok in general a nice lace good location

Room Tip: if area is ok i recomend
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer,

I would like to thank you for your positive comments and feedback. It makes me very proud to hear that your stay was an enjoyable one and that you would recommend the Crowne Plaza London Docklands Hotel to others travelling to our area.

I look forward to welcoming you again in the near future and I thank you one more time for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write about us. Your comments will be mentioned to our staff members.

Assistant Front Office Manager
Totnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We were working at Excel so this hotel is ideal. All the staff we're friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and well proportioned. Hotel was fairly quiet. Restaurant was very good value for money. We did use the indian and chinese locally as well. We also used the free shuttle bus to get to Canary Wharf. Strangely this stops at 8pm so we had to use taxis to get back. £10 between 5 including a tip. Some of the other lads used the Gym and Pool and said they were excellent. Maybe I should have as I'm a fatty. If we go back to Excel next year we will definitely use this place again. Be warned. The planes start flying around 7am in the week so don't expect a lie in. Good for an alarm though. Suited me just right.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
DGMLondonDocklands, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Docklands, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your positive review in regards to your recent stay with us at the Crowne Plaza London Docklands.

I was delighted to read you enjoyed our facilities including the AA Rosette rated Docklands Bar and Grill Restaurant and the Quad Club Health & Fitness centre, however I was even happier to read your experience with our staff was friendly and helpful. The staff members take great pride in their job and it is nice to know that they are recognised for their hard work.

In regards to the complimentary shuttle bus to and from Canary Wharf, as business normally finishes between 5-7pm, we schedule the last pickup from Canary Wharf to be at 8pm.

Thank you again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza London Docklands in the near future.

Kind Regards

Zoeb Manji
Guest Services Manager
UK
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Recently stayed at this hotel for one night. The hotel overlooks the River Thames. Would be lovely in the Summer. Check-in staff were very efficient and pleasant.

The Room was decorated very nicely and the beds were comfortable. The Shower was very invigorating. There was a tea/coffee station with Biscuits. Two Complimentary Bottles of Sparkling Water were in the fridge - just be sure to pick the right ones, as there were others that you had to pay for. Great blackout blinds ensured a good night's sleep.

The surrounding area is quiet at the weekend. There are a few restaurants in the vicinity. A Caribbean restaurant is just across the road and there are a few small supermarkets either side of the hotel. I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Crowne Plaza London Docklands and for taking the time to review your recent one night’s stay with us.

The team and I were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff to be efficient and pleasant.

We strive on providing a comfortable stay for guests and pride ourselves on making guests feel as welcome as possible and I am happy that we exceeded your expectations.

The surrounding area is being heavily developed in order to be ready for the London Olympics.
However the hotel's guest services team would be more than happy to help guests with alternative routes and provide maps and other information for you to explore the city and surrounding area.

Once again I would like to thank you for your positive review and would be delighted to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza London Docklands in the near future.

Kind Regards