“We had a great stay, despite reading other reviews” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comfort Inn London - Victoria

Comfort Inn London - Victoria
Ranked #649 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Regensburg, Germany
“We had a great stay, despite reading other reviews”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

We travelled to London 19-24 December 2011 with 4 adults and 3 children (ages 5, 3.5 and 9 months). We requested two triple rooms and were located in room 101 and 102, just by the breakfast room. After reading reviews, I was concerned about the location but decided that we would make it work. We walked in our room with 1 double bed and 1 twin bed and a baby cot in the room by the desk. There was sufficient room for the 4 of us in that room, typical of other European hotels we have stayed. In the next room, my parents and the 3.5 year old had even more room without the baby cot.

There are no closets but there are shelves, a luggage rack, a rail to hang coats and other items and there was room under the bed for empty bags. The bathrooms were the only "problem" with the room at all. There is no ventilation or heat so mildew had formed on the grout and caulking around the shower. The shower was clean, but the appearance left something to be desired. However, we never ran out of hot water and I didn't feel uneasy about using it all.

The location is amazing. We were about a block from Victoria Station and near a great fish and chips restaurant. There were also many grocery stores and shopping nearby. There was a pub on the adjacent corner that we never heard any noise from. Even though we were directly by the breakfast room, we didn't have any issues with noise (however, we were up around the time breakfast started so I am not sure if we would have noticed).

Breakfast was ample although not a traditional English breakfast. We had croissants, pastries, boiled eggs, cheese, a fruit cocktail, yogurt, bread and a toaster, coffee, water and juice. There was also a high chair available. We also used the breakfast room to eat dinner one night and the front desk staff provided forks for our fish and chips.

After living in Europe for almost 3 years, we found this hotel typical, if not superior, to other hotels we have stayed. It was clean and accommodating and a great value for the money. We would recommend this hotel to other traveling to London.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Rosa P
Amber V, Sales & Marketing Manager at Comfort Inn London - Victoria, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
Dear Guest,

I thank you for the rewarding words. We truly care about our guests and proud ourselves in indulging them as much as we can.

I look forward to your next stay.

Kind regards
Amber Virani

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

I had no option to stay here due to the demand for London hotels. On arrival it immediately felt like a bad decision. The decor and corridors rang alarm bells. On opening my room door was hit by a nasty cheap stench of air freshener that could have floored a hippo!

The room was tired and felt dirty, inducing an immediate itching reaction. I checked the bed for bugs but couldn't find any. My first thoughts were looking forward to checking out.

I would not recommend this hotel and will certainly never return no matter how desparate.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your stay with Comfort Inn Victoria.

It is important to us that all our guests have an enjoyable and comfortable stay and I regret to hear that you thought the service from us did not meet your expectation on this occasion.I would be more than happy to speak to you directly about your experience and in more detail about what activities are taking place in the hotel currently which I am confident, will offer a consistent service standard across the hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly on amber.virani@4chotels.co.uk. I hope that when you are in the area you will give our hotel another chance.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you in the future.

Kind Regards,
Yorktown Heights, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

The room was small but sufficient for a family of 4. Not much room for baggage. The breakfast was basic but sufficient for an early, light meal. Hotel was small, rooms were small, lobby small, breakfast room was small....but all functional. Basic hotel. For the location, the price was good. My friend stayed in the same location at a higher end hotel. Her room was the same size, if not smaller than mine and double the price (her hotel had a nicer lobby and a restaurant in the hotel). St. George's Tavern across the street is a perfect traditional pub for a meal or some brittish ales.....draws a big crowd. If on a budget, this hotel is clean and in a good location.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank ljdn
Copenhagen, Denmark
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

Stayed here twice as everywhere else in the area for less than £200 was full. So not a first choice, and wouldn't recommend it to others. On 2nd visit was put in a basement room - as others have commented the basement is stuffy and smelly, and you can't get any fresh air through the window - can't even get any daylight through it, come to that. I asked to change but the management refused. Breakfast is adequate, but served in another depressing basement room. Bed itself was OK - probably the only good thing I can say about the hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Lancaster, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

I stayed at the Comfort Inn, Victoria last night. I chose it because it was at the cheaper end of the market and I do not like wasting tax payers money on more expensive hotels.

The room I had was in the basement (room 108). When I walked into the room the first thing I noticed was the carpet was not well fitted near the bed with a gap between the carpet and the wall. Normally I could not care less about such things however I noticed a twin and earth cable (mains) running next to the exposed carpet grip rod. As I felt this was unsafe I lifted a bit of the carpet and found the twin and earth was in places resting on the grip rod. One section of the grip rod had scorch marks from a short caused by a spike on the rod and another spike had punctured the cable. I then took some photos and reported them to the hotel manager as this was clearly both dangerous and against current wiring standards.

While such wiring is against standards it is worth pointing out that the cable being spiked on the rod would not have been done by an electrician nor a carpet fitter but far more likely to have been done by a 'Trip Advisor Bed Bug Hunter'. It was clear the corners of the carpet had been lifted many times and I would guess it would be in the search of bed bugs. If you have to do this please do not disturb other stuff and don't be so singled minded in the quest for the little critters that something far more dangerous is overlooked.

After talking to the receptionist I was offered a new room which I gladly accepted. This was much better although smaller. The mouldy smell of the basement others have noted did not exist on the ground floor. The fire alarm did briefly go off in the middle of the night. My concern is that it was cancelled so quickly I do not believe it could have been properly checked that it was a false alarm.

The breakfast was basic self served in the basement breakfast room. It was a simple meal in a clean environment.

In summary - if you're not in the basement of this hotel and do not mind the risk of being toasted when an electrical fault causes a fire it is fine. If this bothers you then avoid.

Additionally I had an email today from the management assuring me the electrical problems would be fixed tomorrow. I have contacted Westminster council's H&S department highlighting my concerns to ensure their next inspection does ensure it has been fixed.

Room Tip: Don't stay in a basement room.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RicharddF
Amber V, Sales & Marketing Manager at Comfort Inn London - Victoria, responded to this review, 28 November 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments. Please, be assured that we have taken your concerns very seriously and have acted upon them as soon as you raised them. We do take Health and Safety very seriously and therefore as soon we received your complaint we changed your room straight away and arranged an engineer to do an urgent inspection of building wiring and to sort wiring of Room no. 108 (initially allocated). In the response sent to you directly by our manager we informed you that all the necessary steps had been taken to rectify the problem. We are now in the position to confirm that this has been dealt with to the required UK Health and Safety standards.

Once again, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced although we tried our best to resolve and rectify the problem occurred during your stay. We appreciate that issues can arise during a stay but it appears our service standards were achieved in dealing efficiently with yours, which I am glad of and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Kind Regards,