“Even for little money not good value”
Review of Holly House Hotel

Holly House Hotel
Ranked #932 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Gouda, The Netherlands
“Even for little money not good value”
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I stayed here one night and wasn't very happy about it. I'm used to staying in simple hotels so I'm not very demanding, but this hotel was not very good. When we arrived our room still needed to be cleaned. The wifi which was supposed to be free didn't work. (Enough reception, just not capable of logging in). The tv was broken (it functioned but the colours went haywire) and breakfast finished at least one hour before the designated time so that we were left without. Worse was that the staff smoked in front of our bedroom window so that we woke up in a very smoky room in the middle of the night.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed 23 November 2011

The rooms are small, furnishings worn, and management was haphazard. The location is excellent and we slept well. Nothing fancy but you do get what you pay for. I would stay here again if the budget is tight. We could have found something nicer but paid 50% more. we were satisfied but not delighted.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ward W
Wolverhampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2011

read reviews on here that simply arent true, you get what you pay as and for the price i couldnt complain, the room was clean and the beds had fresh sheets and bedding on, we had a towel each with bar of soap, tea/coffee and fridge in room as well as lcd tv which worked fine. this hotel is close to all links and in a great location. it is ideal for a place to lay your head after a day exploring. if you want luxury then pay luxury prices but on a budget this hotel is fine. would use this place again, i couldnt really complain for the price we paid, bathroom is small and could use some updating but like i said you get what you pay for.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Claire J
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2011

I stayed here for unfortunatley two nights, it was appaulling! On arrival we checked in and was told we had to stay another house called The Annexe two doors down. When we arrived we were greeted by building material in the hall way leaving us with very little space to even work through to get up the three flights of stairs past the smelly toliet and shower cupboard! Our room was adquate even had a fridge. The walls were disgusting and the toliet room stunk! On the first night there i had the WORST nights sleep as the room backed onto Victoria trainstation so every hour a train went past and woke me....we could not shut our window as the place had its central heating turned on all the time at 30oC- we were baking!
Breakfast again was an epic we were told we had to get ourselves to another house down the street for it!
Second day got better, when we discovered and watched a cochroache run across the floor in our room! When we arrived back from going out, opened the toliet door in our room we discovered a further 3 running around.
Avoid this hotel at all costs!!!!!!! You have been warned!!!!!

2 Thank Sarah R

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Yorkshire
Reviewed 9 November 2011

I stayed here for 1 night earlier this month. My friend booked the room as she has stayed here on a few other occasions. I unfortunately read everyone’s reviews on here before I went so I wasn’t holding out any hope of it being anything more than a hell hole.

Firstly, without the risk of sounding like a snob, I’ve never stayed in a hotel like it, but it wasn’t that bad. The hotel owns 5 other hotels on the same street, you check in at Holly House Hotel. We were staying in Cedar Hotel and in the only basement room (room 71) in the hotel. When we got into the room it was being cleaned, so we left our bags and went exploring round London. By the time we got back, the room had been cleaned. It was boiling hot and looked to be clean and tidy. We had 2 (clean) towels each and a bar of soap. The tea and coffee facilities were good; the mugs, water glasses and spoon were all individually packed which was a good sign.

The beds were comfy and despite people on here saying that they were dirty, they weren’t. We booked a twin room and got a triple room, which was 1 single and 1 double bed. There was a small flat screen TV which was good and a decent sized mirror too, ample plug sockets around the room too. There is also a fridge in the room which came in handy for pre-theatre drinks. The only downside to the room was the bathroom, it was tiny and smelt grim. It didn’t seem the cleanest either. But, the shower was good with a constant supply of hot water.

They serve breakfast from 7am – 9am but we didn’t try it. Being in the basement room, anyone who walked up and down the corridor above us woke me up. And in the morning, when some inconsiderate guests were going for breakfast, who weren’t very quiet at all, I got woke up by them (the restaurant is in the basement too) The room also backed onto the train line behind the hotel, which was very busy but the noise of the trains wasn’t too bad, unless you’re a light sleeper.

I wouldn’t book this hotel for a nice break to the City with my partner but I probably would stay here again with a friend, as location wise it was perfect for us (we were going to the Victoria Theatre) I’m not sure I’d recommend it to people but I wouldn’t say to strictly avoid it, especially if you are on a tight budget. We paid £60 a night B&B, which in London is a bargain. The main thing with this hotel is – you really do get what you pay for.

Room Tip: A front facing room and not the basement room.