“Great location but super compact”

Westbury Hotel Kensington
Ranked #752 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 6 September 2017

The hotel's location is superb as it is less than 5 minutes walk from Earl's Court Station where you can board tubes for the Picadilly line (which takes you to the Heathrow Airport) and the District line. I would have given it a higher score if the room we had (double) was just a bit bigger. We hardly had place for our two suitcases and there is hardly room for two people. It would have been fine with a single bed for just one person. The worst thing about the hotel was the toilet. When you sit on the toilet seat, your face is practically right up against the wall. The shower is no better. The shower curtain keeps clinging to me as I bathe in the tiny cubicle. Apart from its location, the saving grace is the woman manning the reception desk, Kasha, who was kind enough to let us check in early. She is super nice and friendly. Another plus point of the hotel is that it has a lift (albeit a small one). I don't know about the breakfast as we didn't eat in the hotel, opting instead for the nice French bakery opposite the tube station. Will I stay at this hotel again or recommend it? Probably, and it's only because of its superb location.

Room Tip: Try and get a bigger room
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 August 2017

I travelled with my mum and we stayed seven nights. Our room was small, but we weren't expecting anything else. We had to live out of our suitcases as there are no shelves in the wardrobe, only a couple of hangers. The beds are comfortable, but we didn't get fresh sheets throughout our stay. The walls and ceiling are very thin, so it was impossible to get an uninterrupted night of sleep.
The bathroom was also incredibly small and uncomfortable, it didn't have a cupboard or a shelf, there was nowhere to put toiletries. We had fresh towels every day, but surprise, surprise, those were tiny too. For some reason, the cleaners were frugal with toilet paper and we had to go up to reception to ask for more.
The breakfast is very basic. Nutella, jams, honey, butter, baked beans and boiled eggs and you could make yourself toast. I overheard the receptionist saying to someone that it costs six pounds. Our booking included the breakfast, but I'd advise anyone staying here to go and spend that six pounds at Pret or Greggs on a more balanced breakfast.
All these shortcomings would have been forgivable if our room wasn't constantly damp and cold. It was in the basement so I'm guessing that all basement rooms are the same. I'm prone to respiratory infections so having to stay in a damp room was more than unfortunate.
The one great advantage of this hotel is its location, but otherwise it is below average and in need of refurbishment. The staff was very kind and attentive.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the basement.
Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank EmmaSally_94
Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

This hotel is a dump

Awful

The rooms are tiny. The whole place is badly damaged and broken. The room we had was so small. The lift bangs all night The bathroom was broken. Toilet broken shower broken

I would seriously recommend to find somewhere else. The receptionist was nice. But it could not take away from the place being a complete disaster.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

I was quite happy with the location of the hotel, very close to the underground, and restaurants.
Everything else was lacking:
- The room I stayed in (108) was tiny.
- The bathroom needed a scrub (see pic of basin attached)
- There is no shower door so the bathroom floor flooded when I showered.
- The walls are incredibly thin, so it was quite noisy (I could hear every sound from the people above me); and people in the hallways.

I would stay in the same area, but never again will I stay at Westbury.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Sandy G
Reviewed 8 July 2017

Stayed in this hotel for 5 nights. Though the room was a bit cramped for four of us (myself, my wife and my daughter and son aged 22 and 18), best thing about the hotel was its location. Very conveniently situated walking distance from Earls Court station, for easy commute by tube to anywhere in London. Well maintained and clean rooms, though corridors were cramped and stairs a bit steep (had to lug along heavy luggage while going up the room as lift was malfunctioning at that time!)

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family