“Glorified hostel” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #768 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Dublin, Ireland
“Glorified hostel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

We had booked into stay at the Oxford Hotel in Earl's Court but were told upon arrival that the hotel was fully booked (despite the fact that we had booked 2 months previously). We were sent to their "sister" hotel the Westbury which was about a 5-minute walk away. Apparently this is one of 8 "sister" hotels in the area which explains other people's posts about being moved from one hotel to another.

I would describe this hotel as a glorified hostel. It was clean but very basic, a tiny bedroom with thin walls and even tinier beds. I have no problem sleeping in a single bed but these beds were child-sized and I was at risk of falling out each time I turned! The worst thing was the temperature of the bedroom; it was absolutely freezing. When we arrived in the room the 2 windows were wide open. We closed the windows and went out for dinner. When we arrived back at about 11pm the room was still very cold and neither of the radiators were working. I called down to reception at about 11.45pm and was told that the heating would be coming on in ten minutes. It didn't. It was a long, chilly, uncomfortable night made worse by the noises coming from next door through paper-thin walls and the fear of falling out of the cot-sized bed. The room was still cold the next morning so we had a quick shower and got out of there. We didn't even bother with breakfast. All I wanted was was a comfortable night's sleep...

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Suzanne908

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Booked a triple room
Basic accommodation
Room and bathroom were very clean
Very cost effective - 55 pounds for the night
Excellent location in Earls Court within walking distance of Kensington High Street
Very helpful and friendly Receptionist
Basic breakfast offerings
Would recommend for cost conscious travellers

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank 7063b
Saltash, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

After looking at some the reviews on Trip advisor and getting a good deal off the internet, I book a room at this hotel. I was greeted by a very friendly receptionist who gave me all the information on the hotel, and of the surrounding areas of the hotel. There is a lift in the hotel so getting the bag to the room was no problem, the room its self was sufficient with a on suite bathroom (no bath only an open shower), a tea/coffee making area, flat screen TV (which the reception ask a five pound deposit for the use of the remote control, during your stay. I said no to that option, when I looked at the TV I found the manual controls on the side of the TV as well as the on/off switch), I had a single room (but it had two single beds in it), a telephone and one chair. The room was very clean, and a maintenance man came round and fixed some lights. Which I take the previous occupant had reported, there was the bar of small soap and shampoo in the bathroom. I managed to get the room for thirty five pounds including continental breakfast which consisted of tea or coffee, toast or bread, with spreads or cheese and three different cereals and hot or cold milk. The full price of the room was 90 pound plus, at that price I would have hoped for a better breakfast as the other hotels I have stayed at over the years in London have done better breakfasts. But for the price I got the room for, and being central (Earls court underground station at the end of the road) I think overall it was a valve for money and I got a good night’s sleep with no noise.

Room Tip: The back of the hotel is quite
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank wrighton53
Hunter,Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

Exactly what we needed, no more, and certainly no less. We were tourists and all we needed was a place to sleep. We got that and more for a reasonable price. The staff is probably the best of their amenities (Hi Catherine:). The free WiFi was important to us. CLEAN was also important and it was. The contenintal breakfast was simple but adequate to start the day. We were within short walking distance of the Tube, from which you can access all of London and beyond.

Room Tip: Stairsteps are just a part of London life, get use to it.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank stillmrscalabash
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

Good Location, 5 minutes walk from Earls Court underground and about 15 minutes walk from all the shops in Knightsbridge. Also, many of the big museums are a short walk away.
The reception staff are very friendly ( the polish lady whose name I have unfortunately forgot, could not be more helpfull) and as I arrived very early from my flight, allowed me to check in early, as soon as my room had been cleaned.
My single room was on the small ish side, but was functional and clean and the en suite was perfectly adaquate.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo