“A really lovely experience as long as you are not in a hurry”
Review of No 35 Restaurant - CLOSED

No 35 Restaurant
Cuisines: European, Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: The Hempel is located within a seven-minute walk of Paddington Station, or a five-minute walk from Bayswater Tube Station and Lancaster Gate.
Description: Minimalist-chic and uber-cool design come together at this Bayswater neighborhood restaurant. No. 35 sits comfortably in The Hempel hotel; a stucco fronted 5-star haven created by renowned designer Anouska Hempel for those looking for something very special and private.
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Like other reviewers I had a Travelzoo voucher which had to be used by the end of November 2012. I had managed to get a table booked for this last Friday and was told at the time of the booking that the only available time was 7.30pm. This suited me and my boyfriend so no problem there. My only concern at that point was that I hoped there wouldn't be any table turning - I say now at the outset that there is no such policy and the restaurant should be congratulated on that alone.

We arrived a little late (10 mins due to the Circle Line!) and were shown to the Bar and seated, coats and bags taken and a bar menu handed to us with the cocktails included explained. From the outset the service was charming and polite. I was half expecting a rather sneery approach as we were there on a voucher but I think a fair few others were too and the hotel was clearly taking the sensible approach that this made good business sense.

There was a good choice of cocktails. I recall 6 alcoholic and the same non. Unfortunately it took until 8 for someone to take our order for drinks but otherwise fine. The cocktails came with free nibbles and were good. Not the usual watered down variety that one often finds included in offers.

My boyfriend and I were in no real hurry as it was Friday night so we were pretty relaxed about the fact that by 8.30 we hadn't yet been shown to our table. I actually worried that perhaps we should have asked but when I did I was told that the table wasn't yet ready and we would be collected as soon as one was. Again, this was all done in the most charming apologetic way and I have no real complaint about it per se.

We went through to the restaurant at around 8.45 and were both now a little peckish. Here is where the timing of the service really let the place down and it is so sad as the staff were so lovely and teh food was great. We waited 10 minutes for menus, another 20 minutes for someone to take our order, another 15 for wine and so on and so forth. The food when it came was superb, i had the salmon to start and my boyfriend the duck. Both were so beautifully presented and tasted just as good. Likewise main courses, I had teh guinea foul which was sublime and he had the venison which was also superbly cooked. It is also nice to see a restaurant that doesn't push side orders and which serves portions which don't need them in any event. Desert was also beautifula nd delicious.

I honestly cannot fault the food or the staff for their charm. It is really sad that in all of this we didn't finish dinner until nearly 11 and then had to dash to get a train. Given we had arrived at 7.30 that was pretty epic for a three course meal! I couldn't fathom what the problem was either as the restaurant was not full. There was at one point a maximum of 14 tables seated and those were primarily tables of two. There were two waiting staff and a Maitre D'. I waitressed for years at university in a number of different places and have great sympathy with waiting staff for this reason. But it does mean that I could not understand why there was such slow service given that there were 14 tables between 3. I have in the past - and in decent restaurants too not McDonalds! - waited on sections with 15 tables at least and on busy Saturday evenings.

So overall, great. Really really enjoyed the food and the staff were lovely. It was just a very slow experience. I don't want to be rushed in a restaurant but 3 and a half hours from arrival to leaving is a bit of a stretch. Giving the benefit of the doubt it may have been a one off so that is why I am rating this restaurant highly. The service rating is based purely on speed as well as if I could judge it on the staff themselves I would have happily given them a 4 or 5.

1  Thank Moola41

Reviewed 26 October 2012

Thanks to Trip advisor I found this terrific restaurant. Great ambience. Interesting and diverse menu. The scallops entree with black pudding was delightful. The deserts were a real highlight. The wine list by the glass had good quality. The service was top class. Head waiter Bruno was fantastic. I will definitely return and would highly recommend.

1  Thank KMcL1
HempelFandB, Food & Beverage Manager at No 35 Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2012

Dear KMcL1

Thank you for reviewing and recommending No. 35 Restaurant on Tripadvisor.

We pride ourselves on the quality of our food and service so it is very reassuring to receive your feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back to No. 35 and The Hempel in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 7 October 2012

We went to the No 35 Restaurant at the Hempel for my birthday on a Travelzoo Offer.
We were made to feel very welcolme by all the staff.
The cocktail was ok but then again I am not fan of them and my partner had a soft drink which I was told was nice but was full of ice.
The 3 course meal was superb and every course was nicely presented and a joy to the eye.
The food was full of flavour especially the lamb which was correctly cooked and had a great taste.
The only criticism of the whole evening was the £5 + service charge for a 500ml of water.

1  Thank Ztilb
HempelFandB, Food & Beverage Manager at No 35 Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2012

Dear Ztilb

Thank you for reviewing No. 35 Restaurant on Tripadvisor.

I was thrilled to learn you had a great meal with us. Our Head Chef Mike Carter has also read what you had to say and is delighted to hear that you rated his food so highly.

We compare our prices with other 5-star properties on a regular basis so I can assure you that what we charge for a bottle of mineral water is competitive with other luxury hotels in Central London.

Of course, we're also very happy to offer tap water on request.

In addition, it’s important for me to point out that Thirsty Planet –our mineral water supplier- has made a donation on your behalf to communities in Malawi for the 750ml bottle that you purchased at your recent visit to No. 35 Restaurant.

Best regards

Reviewed 30 September 2012

I would like to say firstly the staff were very friendly and welcoming. Afternoon tea was served in the bar just left of the reception area. A warm and cosy atmosphere which made it very easy to relax. Afternoon tea was delicious especially the scones and cakes. Sandwiches were a little tiny but after eating the whole lot we found we didn't actually need anymore in addition to what was served. A lovely day out.

1  Thank Lucyb1076

Dear Lucyb1076

Thank you for taking the time to review our Afternoon Tea on Tripadvisor.

We take pride on the quality of our food and service so it means a lot to us when we manage to exceed the expectations of one of our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Hempel in the not too distant future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 29 September 2012

Booked this through a Travelzoo voucher, booking went perfectly fine with a follow up call to confirm we were confirmed. Arrived on time, we were greeted by friendly staff and given a seat in the restaurant. We were asked if we wanted to have our cocktail drinks in the bar or the restaurant. We chose the restaurant as the bar looked full anyway. I read a few reviews before this one and realised that maybe they didn't want us to experience other clients plights of being forgotten in the bar.

Overall I would say the service was excellent (actually once or twice slightly overbearing, they asked us so many times if we were ready to order or for our next course and we just wanted to relax and take in the experience).

Our table was by the window and was actually slightly out the way of the other tables which almost made it private which we very much liked.

Our cocktails were actually very good and tasty (part of the deal).

My wife loved all her food, she had Duo of Gressingham Duck, Organic Rhug White Chicken, Hot Valrhona Chocolate Pudding. I had the Hand Dived Isle of Mull Scallops, Line Caught Halibut, Caramelised Fig Tart. Now the Scallops for me were slightly overdone, about 15 seconds worth so 2 out of 4 were perfect and the others slightly over but it was still an excellent disk. My Halibut was again on one side (weirdly enough) slightly overdone and the other perfect.

Out of the whole experience I would say everything was actually excellent and possibly the staff were compensating for some bad reviews previously but I would rather have over attentive staff than the opposite. My wife can be very critical about restaurants when you expect the best but she couldn't stop going on about how nice it was. We would actually consider returning as the hotel, location and experience was very good.

2  Thank popLondon

Dear popLondon

Thank you for reviewing your recent dining experience on Tripadvisor.

Our Travelzoo promotion has been very popular and the feedback we've received so far has been extremely positive. I’m delighted to know you're another guest who had a great dinner at No. 35 Restaurant.

I note your comments about the scallops and the halibut, which I’ve already shared with our kitchen team.

In terms of the attentiveness of our staff, I completely understand that whilst some guests gauge the quality of customer service by the satisfaction checks made through out their visit, others may prefer a more discreet approach.

It’s great to hear that we managed to exceed your wife’s expectations and you plan to return to No. 35 in the near future.

Best regards