“Nice rooms. Charged 2 credit cards”

Grange White Hall Hotel
Ranked #601 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 26 February 2012

The rooms are very nice in this hotel and the location is pretty good. However, the staff is not very helpful at all. I gave up on trying to use them to help me with directions or anything. Now I have returned to find that they charged both my roommate and my credit card. When I called to ask about getting one removed, they asked if I had called my bank, which makes no sense. This is the kind of nonsense I got when I asked for directions or any help from the front desk there. Stay in this hotel if you want a nice room but don't need their help.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 25 February 2012

Stayed for a weekend at the end of Jan, taking my Mum on a theatre trip for her birthday.
All the staff were friendly and couldn't do enough for you.
We were in a twin room which was really nice and overlooked the garden a the back.
The location of the hotel was good, close to Russell square for buses and the tube.
There is one major down side which was breakfast! The breakfast room is far too small for the number of rooms, so you have to wait to be seated. They obviously know there is an issue as there are signs up in the lifts explaining to come early at weekends.
We did this but still had to wait each day.
The staff seemed very rushed and re setting the tables was very haphazard with items missed on each occasion.
The contents of the breakfast buffet were limited and once they ran out, the staff were not on the ball in restocking.
We didn't dine in the restaurant in the evening so I can't comment on whether this was more organised.
All in all a nice hotel, good for the price (we got a deal) not sure I would be saying the same had we paid full price?
Location and the rooms are definite plus points.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We stayed at this hotel as part of a Buy a Gift present for my other half, having to chose from the Grange hotel group and we picked this one because of its location. However we were a little dubious as some reviews were quite scathing. We beg to disagree. It is an easy slow paced 10 minute walk from Russell Square station and on arrival were greeted by very efficient and pleasant staff as we checked in. There was a small queue and it looked like others were going to push in but the girl on the desk politely told them we were before them. Our package was for a double/twin room, full English breakfast and bottle of wine. We were allocated a lovely superior room with 4 poster bed on the first floor (room 101). Everything was spotlessly clean and the room had everything we needed with a nice view over the garden and the back of the British Museum. We came back late from the theatre and had a drink in the bar area before bed and again, the staff were helpful and professional. We had a comfortable night in the cosy bed and all was quiet. The cooked breakfast was delicious, being prepared to order rather than the usual hot buffet which rarely looks appetising. I guess this is because most people were having continental breakfast which was a buffet but looked fresh with a good variety of fresh fruit, cheese, meat/ham, yoghurt and croissants. The staff in the dining room were very attentive, regularly coming round to refill tea and coffee and quickly clearing plates. All in all, we had a very pleasant stay. I suppose it depends what part of the hotel you are booked into as some of the negative reports appear to be from those who have had rooms in the basement (lower ground) so if you get the choice, choose a higher floor. We would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor at the back
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SuzieQ021
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Stayed here for two nights just before Christmas and had a lovely stay. Staff could not have been more friendly and the hotel itself is very clean and comfortable. It is in a great location just off Russell Square, so walking to Covent Garden/West End is easily do-able, although it is also within easy reach of tube and mainline railway stations. It's in a very quiet street, so makes for a good night's sleep.The only downside for me was that the roomwe had was a little on the small side but overall it was excellent value for money. Recommended.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank leemurphy1
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Have stayed here on business several times. Staff very friendly and welcoming. I like the fact that they welcome me by name - I know they're prompted by their computer, but it's still nice to feel you're being treated as an individual. I particularly like the fact that after staying only a handful of occasions, they automatically upgrade your room: you've become special to them.
It's a small hotel in an historic building behind the British Museum and within 10 mins walk of Shaftesbury Ave.
Being an historic building, although the rooms are well furnished, clean and comfortable, the building does show its age in some creaky, uneven floors. But that's just the character of the building - you either accept and appreciate it or, as some reviewers do, you complain that it's not boring and angular like a new build house.
The BIG attraction for me is that it's close to tube stations, fairly central, but on a quiet street. I do get a good night's sleep here (and, if you've read any of my other reviews, you'll know that's important to me: I'm generally in London to work, not to party!).
Breakfasts are ok - the usual buffet affair.
I don't find the restaurant appealing so don't eat here in the evenings - there are lots of places to eat within a few minutes' walk.
But, all in all, a nice, small, personal hotel in what can be a big impersonal city.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business